The Stax thread
Jan 15, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #1,681 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by nothing101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what are the differences between the srxmk2 and mk3? has anyone even heard both?

I think I know why your asking but i'll keep my mouth shut.
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #1,685 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by nothing101
what are the differences between the srxmk2 and mk3? has anyone even heard both?

The SR-X siblings are nearly identical sound-qualitywise until you get to the bottom end. The Mk3 has a larger-diameter diaphragm (roughly a third larger) and thus goes just a bit deeper and plays just a bit louder.

The electrets ECR-500 and SR-34 had more bass than either of them.

So what does this mean? If you can get a good price on a good-condition Mk2, grab it. I very much doubt anyone could tell whether they were listening to a 2 or 3 unless they could compare them back to back.

Jan 15, 2007 at 11:00 AM Post #1,688 of 2,694
Eh, I'm not sure what I should do. I bought a pair of SR-404s, but now I need to figure out the whole amp situation. I have $355 right now. These are my options:

1. Buy an SRM-313, again.
2. Save money for ~5 months to buy something along the lines of SRM-717, 006T, McAlister EA-1/4, etc.
3. Buy a transformer box now and sell it 5 months down the road to buy the 006T or EA-1.
4. Other?

1 is kinda boring, to tell you the truth. 2 would require a lot of patience as I'd have to use my H120 -> MDR-101 rig for 5 months. 3 would require patience as well to track down an SRD-7 Pro (The one for sale on these forums seems to be a bit steep for an SRD-7 Pro).

Jan 15, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #1,689 of 2,694
I would say that the Pro transformers are out of the question unless you manage to get one for a reasonable amount off one of the auction sites. I would also look into the older amps, T1 and SRM-3 spring to mind. These come up quite a lot and can be had for about 400$. There is of course always the normal bias stuff that nobody wants and installing a pro bias unit in them.

Jan 15, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #1,692 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe it is only the pot and none of the active stages

I suspected that this was the case. But it seems odd that Stax doesn´t specify
this - but they are very keen to emphasize the quality of their own pot.

Kind regards/venlig hilsen

Tom

Jan 15, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #1,693 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by duderuud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif
. What do you mean by being steep for an SRD-7 Pro?

They do often go substantially cheaper. Not a bad thing when you're the seller though.
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #1,694 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by bralk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspected that this was the case. But it seems odd that Stax doesn´t specify
this - but they are very keen to emphasize the quality of their own pot.

Kind regards/venlig hilsen

Tom

While the pot isn't high end by any means it certainly isn't bad. I think that the bypass option was intended for the pro sector and then Stax grew from there with the SRM-717DM. Stax user manuals are a bit of a joke, often filled with wrong information and bad translations.

Jan 16, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #1,695 of 2,694
I am very much looking forward to krmathis' review of the SRD-7 Pro driving the SR-007s....

So, I've been listening to Joe Jackson's 1984 album _Body and Soul_ with the SRD-7 Pro driving the SR-404s. It's been fine... kinda milquetoast. I got about 2 mintues into the 6th track, "Loisaida", and could take it no longer... There's this part where it goes all quiet, and there's just piano, and Graham Maby's Fender precision bass. With the Pro box, I heard a piano and a pretty anonymous-sounding bass guitar, being played quietly... struggled to hear details I know are there... as soon as that part was over, I backed up the CD, switched to the normal-bias SRD-7, and BAM, I can tell easily what kind of bass guitar it is, hear the fret noises... then the horns come in and track builds up to a dynamic crescendo, with some great sounding drum fills. I FEEL the impact! There is NO problem with dymanics here! The X250.5 is actually working a bit, popping out of class A into A/B, pumping WAY more than Stax's reccomended 30WPC (instantaneous!) into the SRD-7. I worry about pushing the SRD-7 so hard... but now it's easy to tell that Maby is digging in hard on the strings of the P-bass during this part, rather than the anonymous-sounding boomy bass tone I get with the Pro-bias unit, which sounds like I've strapped a pair of 18" subwoofers to my ears.

I'm back wildly air-drumming, flailing my limbs around like a madman like I was with the SR-X/MK3, only there's BASS. With the Pro-bias adapter, the music just loses the magic...

The only thing I can really fault the SRD-7 normal bias adapter for is bringing out further the frequency response irregularities in the SR-404. Piano in the upper registers can be pretty painful. It's better reigned in with the pro-bias unit, but at quite a cost.

I should drag out my Sonic Frontiers transport, and use the AT&T ST optical cable. With my speaker setups and SR-X/MK3, this thing is deficient in bass and brutally harsh and detailed up top... might go well with the SRD-7 Pro/SR-404s. I've been on the fence regarding keeping this thing around as I don't really enjoy listening to it with any of my other system configurations... but now I have a feeling it might work here, and might be even better with the eventual SR-007s...

I really want to get ahold of a pair of SR-Lambda Signatures... someone convince nikongod to split up his FS system and sell the earspeakers to me!

edit: I was inspired to put on one of my many bass guitar reference tracks, Luther Vandross' "I've Been Working". Macrus Miller beats the s*** out of his Jazz bass on this track. The SR-X/MK3s was the most vivid I had heard it... before now! It sounds pretty awesome with the Pro box... but with the low bias box, it is freaking MAGICAL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back