The Stax thread
Jul 30, 2006 at 1:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,694

Carl

Headphoneus Supremus
Well our discussions of all things Stax and electrostatic related seem to have died down recently, so in the interest of perking things back up a bit, here's a thread for it.

Okay then, to start us off; compare and contrast:

1083690106321.jpg

Jul 30, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #2 of 2,694
Nice collection you got there. Five Gamma Pro's, right?

I entered the world of Stax Headspeakers two weeks ago, and have noticed that there are barely any Stax or electrostatic related discussions around here.
Seems like most head-fi'ers use dynamic headphones for the time being... Go figure!

Jul 30, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis
I entered the world of Stax Headspeakers two weeks ago, and have noticed that there are barely any Stax or electrostatic related discussions around here.

Mesmerized by Patricia Barber out of my 005, unable to write coherently.
lambda.gif

Seriously, listen to "You Stepped Out Of A Dream", just the last 2 Minutes or so. This is what these phones were made for. Incredible.

Jul 30, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 2,694
Yes! Post pictures of the SR-Omega w/ box, please!
biggrin.gif

Nice cans, Carl.

Jul 31, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 2,694
Quote:

Seems like most head-fi'ers use dynamic headphones for the time being... Go figure!

They seem to come in waves. There is a definite, solid fanbase around here of the SR-007, and they're plenty talked about if you look. However, there isn't much information on the older models, or the lower currently made Stax models. Most people, when moving up the headphone chain, don't seek out electrostats until they're near the top, because they sort of view the SR-007 and the Sennheiser HE90 as arguably the best headphones ever made (along with the MDR-R10, the K1000, the ATH-L3000 and a few others, but it's generally recognized that electrostats can do certain things beyond the level dynamics are capable of). So you really miss out on the discussion of models such as the SR-202, 303, and 404. Not to mention the 4070. People just don't recommend the lower ones much, so people don't really consider electrostats until they get into the upper echelon, and then they really only consider the top of the line models. It's really a shame. I'm actually planning on picking up some older Stax models on eBay soon along with a transformer and putting some reviews out there. We'll see.

Jul 31, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #7 of 2,694
I love my SR-001's, use them at work mainly and thankfully it's fairly quiet, otherwise the lack of isolation would be a problem.

Ah well, one day I hope to get the Omega II's, but maybe when I can afford them there'll be something better out
tongue.gif

Jul 31, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #8 of 2,694
Quote:

It's not my collection. I'm insane, but not insane enough to buy every single one of the Alfa and Gamma series. It's not 5 Gamma Pros, there's 4 different headphones there. Alfa Pro, Alfa Pro Excellent, Gamma, and Gamma Pro.

I just lost an auction for an Alfa Pro Excellent yesturday. I'm pretty miffed about that.

Quote:

Do a search, there's been a fair bit of discussion, it's just been a light couple of weeks recently.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybar
carl, why not include the Omega's in your discussion. Can you add a picture of them so folks will note to include them.

Omega.jpg

We can discuss whatever we want, so if you want to talk Omegas then go ahead.

Jul 31, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #9 of 2,694
Little Stax Lambda love here... decades of flawless performance and always a wow factor. After trying every flavor of dynamic I could afford to buy, I always come back to the electrostats for the best listening experience. Surely, today's crop of good amps and updated dynamic designs are better than ever, but still not there, just something missing IMHO.

Jul 31, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #10 of 2,694
Jul 31, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #11 of 2,694
I really enjoy my Stax SR-001 combo which I use mainly as a bed rig, but still I enjoy it greatly. If I ever get a chance to buy a pair of Stax Omega I will jump in it.

-Alex-

Jul 31, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #12 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Mesmerized by Patricia Barber out of my 005, unable to write coherently.
lambda.gif

Is that the SR-005a? I had that for a while...absolutely stunning and didn't leave me wanting for much. I got a chance to try out the SR-404 with SM-313 today and that was quite nice, too. Still not sure if I preferred the SR-404 or the SR-003 out of the SM-313 better.

Jul 31, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #14 of 2,694
As another Lambda Pro Signature/SRM-MK1 owner, I am chiming in to say that I really like that setup. Between my Stax setup and my dynamic cans, I feel no real urge to upgrade my cans. In fact, I feel so content with my current headphones that I'm just trying to build a setup around them instead of trying out other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back