The Stax thread
Jan 13, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #1,636 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You better hurry!
Cause there are only 10 minutes left of the auction...
tongue.gif

Edit: It just sold for $3600.00!
Hope a Head-Fi user nailed this one...

I had an eye on it... $3k was my emotional dropoff point.

Jan 13, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #1,638 of 2,694
Milkpowder, dont let everyone in on the eBay UK secrets. *conspiratorial nudge*

I have 0 money for headphone spending at the minute anyway.
frown.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #1,639 of 2,694
Quote:

You better hurry!
Cause there are only 10 minutes left of the auction...
tongue.gif

Edit: It just sold for $3600.00!
Hope a Head-Fi user nailed this one...

Madness.

Jan 13, 2007 at 10:02 AM Post #1,642 of 2,694
Hmph... when oh when will I EVER get my hands on a pair of Lambda Pros or Sigmas. Every time I see one going on Ebay or Audiogon, its either the seller doesn't wanna ship to Singapore or the price has gone too ridiculously high. Why why why... Will I never ever get to hear one of those beauties?

Jan 13, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #1,643 of 2,694
jigster. Don't loose the faith!
Just keep a tight eye on eBay and AudiogoN, and hopefully you are lucky and snag a Lambda Pro for less than their current going price.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As many of you know I received my SR-X/MK2 and SRD-7 earlier this week.
Just for fun I connected the SRD-7 to my power amplifier, to hear how it stand up against my SRM-007t.

First some facts about the amplifier, since most probably none of you have never heard about it.
Doxa 70 Signature. A Norwegian produced singel-ended solid-state amplifier, which sell for $2000. It is running in class-AB mode, has a 2x650VA power supply, and put out 2x70 watts (8ohm). Weigh in at 24kg.
I have paired it with a Doxa 012 passive pre-amp.

This amp really rock the SR-X world. They now reproduce lower frequencies that I have not heard in combination with the SRM-007. It also have more control in the midrange. Reproducing female voice so beautifully. Sound/head stage is not SR-X' strongest side, but the Doxa keep it at least on the same level as with the SRM-007.
The Doxa Signature amp is known to have a natural sound, with lots of details, and a controlled bass. Which really show trough the SR-X!
lambda.gif

I liked the Doxa/SRD-7 combination so much, that I just had to try it with my other Stax phones. Even if that mean connecting Pro bias phones to a Normal bias energizer.
The Lambda Pro and Omega II sound beautiful out of the Doxa amp. But while the SR-X improved a lot, it felt like these phones lost some of their magic. I guess that is because they were running on less than half the bias voltage.

It would be great to hear the Lamdba Pro and Omega II's through a Pro bias energizer, connected to the Doxa amp. Lets see what the future brings..
Either a SRD-7/MKII and Power amplifier, or a higher quality electrostatic amplifier.

Take care!

Jan 13, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #1,646 of 2,694
Quote:

It would be great to hear the Lamdba Pro and Omega II's through a Pro bias energizer, connected to the Doxa amp. Lets see what the future brings.

I hooked my freshly-arrived SR-404s up to the SRD-7 first. It took a LOT of volume to get a decent listening level, and the needle on the X250.5 was bouncing around quite a bit, so it was way over 40wpc. It sounded pretty good... I took them off, and didn't switch to the SRD-7 Pro right away, so all I can confirm so far is that way less power was required from the amp to get the same listening level. After I had brought them up to pro bias, I hooked them back up to the normal bias energiser, and nothing really changed, they were still holding the high bias current. So, this isn't the kind of comparison you can easily do - you have to charge them to normal bias, listen, go up to high bias, and that's it. You can't go back to normal quickly.

Jan 13, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #1,649 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by feckn_eejit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, this isn't the kind of comparison you can easily do - you have to charge them to normal bias, listen, go up to high bias, and that's it. You can't go back to normal quickly.

My Omega II's had not been plugged in for several weeks before I used them with my SRD-7. But my Lambda Pro went straight from the SRM-007.
But for me the Doxa/SRD-7 combo was not the ideal match for my two Pro bias phones.
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, I am soo cheesed right now. Two phones I want to bid on and neither seller will ship to the US
frown.gif

As usual!
When you finally find something you want, the seller will not ship to your country.

Jan 13, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #1,650 of 2,694
Quote:

As usual! When you finally find something you want, the seller will not ship to your country.

Or vice versa; oversea's used sales for more than the speaker is new here US or in other parts, blasphemous however it may be; there should be a world reknown standard...rant over.

Although not as practical, one could go through an import/export agency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back