The Plasma & LCD TV Thread: Post Pics of Yours? Ask Questions?
Jun 6, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #61 of 206
Update regarding Kuro and PS3, I just played Heavenly Sword for 1 hour, everything went great, no motion lag / phosphor lag whatsoever. Cutscenes are beautifully rendered with tons of details.

Jun 28, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #62 of 206
Quote:

uofmtiger, I am jealous of that setup. Very much. Not to mention a 61" in the bedroom!

Here is the pic of the DLP in my bedroom that I promised a few weeks back:

large.jpg

I still need to get pics of my computer room with my Westinghouse 42 inch (coming soon).

I got some new speakers for 2 channel audio, so I am resubmitting a shot of my main system. The Denon AVR3808CI has a mode that will play all 2 channel on my Monitor Audio RS6 speakers and all multichannel on the NHTs. I am pretty happy with the setup. I will probably add a better DAC and a headphone amp, but I mainly listen to headphones in my office or bedroom, so I am not in a big hurry. ( I should mention that I normally have the grills on both speakers, but removed one of them for the picture)

large.jpg

Jun 28, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #65 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should move that massage chair to in front of TV for the ultimate lazy couch potato experience.
biggrin.gif

LOL That must be why they put rolling wheels on the back of that chair. In a pinch, my bed works for a lazy couch potato experience.
tongue.gif
It also does massage (not as good as the chair) and will elevate the head at the touch of a button.
biggrin.gif
Here is a pic of it with the head elevated:

large.jpg

Jun 28, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #66 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course, if you decide not to stretch, you will end up with bars on the side of the screen.

personally i'd rather have 4:3 content pillarboxed instead of stretched or cropped

Jun 28, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #67 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
personally i'd rather have 4:3 content pillarboxed instead of stretched or cropped

Yeah, me too. Luckily, most of the stuff I watch is in high def anyway.

Jul 7, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #68 of 206
Guys,
I'm planning on getting an HDTV soon. My budget only allows me to get a 32 inch because I intend on getting a 1080P LCD TV. THe thing is I have read that you really cannot see that much difference between 720P/1080i and 1080P with this screen size. Howtrue is this? I plan on using the TV for my PS3 which outputs to 1080P so I really am confused.. Maybe if get a 720P instead I could get a 37 or 40 inch.. Maybe other factors I could consider? Help please!!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #69 of 206
I have a 50" non full HD plasma watching it from 2.5m distance, I actually never felt that I should buy "Full HD".

Especially in your case, I really see no point of getting a full HD in such small screen unless you eyeball the TV.
Don't worry about PS3 1080p output, your TV will adjust itself automatically and still deliver great result.

Think of TV resolution as in digital camera megapixel situation, unless you print really large (in case of TV, watch very closely), you generally won't be able to tell the difference in normal viewing distance unless you really look for it.
Also remember that we are watching moving images, not still image, making the difference even less noticeable.

There is much more to a TV than paper resolution, you have to observe the TV as a final product and let your eyes judge the quality, not what you read from the paper specs.

I would get at least 42" if I were you. 37" is too small unless you really don't have space.

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #70 of 206
thanks a lot for your opinion, DJ mocok! now i want a 42-inch TV haha!! anyway, that's what I was planning to do anyway; checking the TV before purchasing one. BTW, is 1080i almost the same as 720p or is there a noticeable difference? more opinions and feedbacks on plasmas and LCDs are very much welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #71 of 206
I think I was like you, at first I was thinking to replace my 20" LCD with something around 32" - that'd be nice, and then I saw 42" and I thought wow that was huge, it'd be great if I could buy that!

And then after more looking and observing around shop, 42" started to look small to me and I realised that I have to have at least 50" to get the "experience" while watching movies. That's why I ended up with 50".

When the TV was installed I thought holy crap, that was monstrous! But then after a few months, now it looks so normal to me and I can't go any lower than 50" anymore.

So if you have the space (and not watching from very close distance), and don't mind spending a bit more, go for the biggest size you can afford.

Jul 8, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #72 of 206
In Consumer Reports surveys of flat screen TV owners, many respondents regret not having bought a bigger screen. CR recommends a 40-42" screen for average size rooms and 46-50 for greater viewing distances. If you get too big a screen for the viewing distance you will see too many picture flaws.

Industry experts advise even larger screens for that movie theater experience. Here's a spreadsheet that calculates those kinds of recommendations.

Jul 8, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #73 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I was like you, at first I was thinking to replace my 20" LCD with something around 32" - that'd be nice, and then I saw 42" and I thought wow that was huge, it'd be great if I could buy that!

And then after more looking and observing around shop, 42" started to look small to me and I realised that I have to have at least 50" to get the "experience" while watching movies. That's why I ended up with 50".

When the TV was installed I thought holy crap, that was monstrous! But then after a few months, now it looks so normal to me and I can't go any lower than 50" anymore.

So if you have the space (and not watching from very close distance), and don't mind spending a bit more, go for the biggest size you can afford.

Pretty similar impressions here too, though I went for 42" after all. I had 32" regular CRT TV when I decided to upgrade it. 42" looked huge for a few days after the purchase but now it looks so regular. With TV's it's just like with headphones and hifi, it gets bigger and more expensive all the time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #74 of 206

Users who are viewing this thread

Back