The Plasma & LCD TV Thread: Post Pics of Yours? Ask Questions?
May 3, 2008 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 206

dj_mocok

Headphoneus Supremus
Just got a call from the installer and now currently in the wait for it to be installed next Saturday. This will be a long week wait for me. So in the meantime maybe we can talk about anything plasma/LCD but not a plasma Vs LCD bashing please...

Anyone wanna share with us pictures of their awesome TV and home theater setup?

May 3, 2008 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 206
dsc2234dd0.jpg

Not mine, family's.. The speakers are Wharfedale EVO-30s, TV is a Samsung LA52F81BDX, 52" LCD with that 100Hz Motion Plus technology..

It's kind of a waste considering Singapore still has only like.. 3 HD channels =\

May 5, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 206
The refresh rate for an LCD can't be adjusted like it can on CRTs, the normal refresh rate for an LCD is 60hz; since movies are recorded in 24fps though and 24 doesn't go into 60 evenly the older tvs had to use a 3:2 pulldown to match the frames. The newer 120hz refresh models match the frames exactly since 24 goes into 120 evenly so for movies, it's is theoretically supposed to be a lot smoother, and for sports, you're supposed to get less motion blur. In actuality though, a lot of people really don't care for it. We demo'd a Sony and a Samsung 120hz tv when we were shopping and to me, the newer 120hz refresh rate tvs combined the auto motion-plus program many manufacturers are adding, make movies seem very unrealistic. It's hard to explain but the difference between the 60hz and 120hz tvs is clearly viewed if you demo them in-store. Some people do like it but some people of course do not. The motion-plus can of course be disabled but that seems a little pointless to me since that is part of the premium you're paying for.

May 6, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #6 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by indikator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard that on lcd refresh rate is kinda different than on CRT, what is?

Both plasma and LCD are different then CRT. CRT is always an interlaced image and being drawn one line at a time. Plasma and LCD have active pixels that are being drawn at once.....so refresh rate doesn't really mean much. The better guage for LCDs are response time: the time it takes for a pixel to go from black to white. But with monitor manufacturers....you can never be too sure how accurate their quoted response is. At least it's gotten much better then it was. My first 19" LCD monitor had a 30ms response time.....while my new Gateway 24" LCD monitor has a 3ms. Blu-Rays do look very nice on it.

I'm more about picture quality then motion. That's why my family room HDTV is going to be plasma for the foreseeable future. LCDs are getting better, but I still haven't seen one that impresses me with a full tonal range the way Pioneer Kuros do.

May 6, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #7 of 206
But aren't these new features (120hz screen) useless for DVD's? DVDs are all either in 29.9 frames per second (NTSC) or 25 frames per second (PAL.) So the editing made to the video for them to be run at non-native rates is already on the discs, it's not something that the TV is just doing itself to "pure" video.
So until my NTSC and PAL DVDs have been made into 24 frames per second Blu-Rays, there's no reason to go for the feature - and no way to avoid either 3:2 pulldown or speed-up. Right?

May 10, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #8 of 206
My Kuro arrived and got installed today. I must say it's bloody awesome. I was afraid that regular DVD and SD materials would look terrible, but they still look great.

Most definetly worth the money.

May 18, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #10 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We need pictures!
biggrin.gif

Show us yours! mmmmmmmmm, I want a Kuro!

--

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
The motion-plus can of course be disabled but that seems a little pointless to me since that is part of the premium you're paying for.

No doubt, just reason to put another sticker on the set to differentiate the product like all the network features on the latest sets, or card readers. I feel sorry for less tech savy consumers. They could really get lost in all the crap. My mom asked me to help her buy a new t.v. recently. I could not believe how naturally big box salespersons steered customers to the wayyyyyy overpriced HDMI cable section. I began to wonder whether the TV's could be loss leaders for the cables, seroiusly.

May 19, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #11 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Show us yours! mmmmmmmmm, I want a Kuro!

-

hehe... I will try to take some pictures tomorrow if I'm not too lazy. You know it's a hard work setting up camera, tripod, doing post processing and all that.
biggrin.gif

Also what makes me hesitate in taking picture is with my DVD player, if I pause the picture, it becomes slightly jaggy, so not really good.

May 20, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #12 of 206
Sorry for the horrible picture quality, I wasn't really in the mood of taking picture so I just took a quick snap.

These pictures actually make the Kuro look bad, maybe I shouldn't have posted them.
icon10.gif

All taken handheld ISO1600
eek.gif

Kuro1.jpg

Kuro2.jpg

May 20, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #13 of 206
Iv got a Samsung similar to the earlier post. I think they are also the best looking TV's which means quite a lot as they are unfortunately now the focal point of most living rooms.

May 21, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #14 of 206
Just wanna share my opinion in regards to Kuro's USB Picture Viewer feature.
Great panel aside, I think this feature is a bit gimmicky and just thrown in there without much thought. I tried using it by plugging my USB stick with some pictures in it.

The TV loads the thumbnails painfully slow, and to be honest the pictures don't look all that great on the TV, especially the smaller ones, very jaggy especially on straight lines.

Viewing your pictures from cheap monitor is much better.

I'd rather they just remove this feature and substitute it with more useful feature instead.

May 25, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #15 of 206
Toshiba 46RF350U thin bezel LCD tv here. Absolutely love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back