The Plasma & LCD TV Thread: Post Pics of Yours? Ask Questions?
Jul 28, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #196 of 206

[size=medium]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnambulist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would imagine that the Panny 2011 plasmas and onwards would be getting things back on track given the Kuro team now works for them, and the 2010 V20 and VT20 are very strong offerings but only incorporated some of the Kuro tech. Future models should be much more Kuro-esque.

Only a few former Pioneer engineers work for them, and that doesn't change the fact that Panasonic manufactures to specific price points instead of levels of picture quality. (just ask Bob Perry)  The fact is that Kuro tech is costly to implement and would ultimately kill margins unless they raised their prices astronomically.  Of course, they could relegate it to the Z-series seeing as how that's touted as the ultra high end, but most that spend that much money on a TV don't have a clue nor care about PQ anyway. (again, ask Bob Perry)  Up until now, it seems that Panasonic has Kuro engineers working for them just to help market them to the videophile crowd. We were promised space discharge phosphors for this year.  We didn't get them.
[/size]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think Panasonics latest offerings give the Kuro a run for the money and as an installer I get to do side by side comparisons so no bias may the better picture win
but if you look close each will have its flaws and high points.

Oh I agree.  The VT20/25 has great initial picture quality and, initially, the G20/25 is a great value.  However, Panasonic's smoke and mirrors approach to PQ over the past few generations makes it difficult to recommend their products until they acknowledge that they've fixed their voltage drive issues.  I was made privy to them the hard way.  My G10's contrast went bye-bye in what seemed like the course of a week and I was left scratching my head thinking I needed to see an eye doctor.  Instead, I revisited AVS for answers and, wouldn't you know it, it was a common problem.  Panasonic has since acknowledged it, but had taken the stance of "it's not a defect, it's a feature."  The thing's PQ was dominated by my brother's Samsung Black Friday special (a very limited run, entry level set) that was 2 years older.  My problem occurred before the big explosion of complaints, so Panasonic actually replaced the video board once as the tech, in fact, acknowledged it as an "isolated issue."  After Panasonic stonewalled, my warranty company picked up their slack and gave me a full credit to put toward my lovely, problem-free Kuro.  This year's offerings are using the same voltage driving algorithms, but their aggression has been toned down so the change is "less noticeable."  Still, Panasonic is taking the stance that the black level needs to rise to maintain proper functionality throughout the set's life. (to the point of lying and saying all manufacturers do it... FALSE)

EDIT: That's weird.  Not sure why that's in two different fonts.

Jul 28, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #197 of 206
The last comparison I did was with the TC-P50VT25 and we got the best picture using a Spears & Munsil set up disk was not all that impressed with the THX
setting but to each their own so far so good its been running for a couple of weeks and have not noticed any change in black level but once it gets 30 days under
way we will check with the set up disk again. To my eyes so far the picture looks outstanding if there is a difference between it and the Kuro my tired old eyes
have not been able to spot it.

Jul 28, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #198 of 206

Quote:
The last comparison I did was with the TC-P50VT25 and we got the best picture using a Spears & Munsil set up disk was not all that impressed with the THX
setting but to each their own so far so good its been running for a couple of weeks and have not noticed any change in black level but once it gets 30 days under
way we will check with the set up disk again. To my eyes so far the picture looks outstanding if there is a difference between it and the Kuro my tired old eyes
have not been able to spot it.

Are these direct comparisons done side-by-side in a completely blacked out room?  Also, what model Kuro?  Settings? (9G Elites running in ISF or Pure trump it easily to my eyes with the VT20/25 in calibrated THX or user mode)

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #199 of 206
No at a clients home they wanted 2 Kuro's in the playroom at each end another installer put the previous panel in so no I don't have the model no we can't get any
Kuro's what is out there is it since they are not making any more so we did a side by side in the room with normal or the lighting they chose (dim able cans).

Jul 29, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #200 of 206
There's a thread on AV Forums where people are putting a lot of hours on their VT20's just to see how many hours it takes before the black level's change. Last time I checked they hadn't reached that point yet.

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #201 of 206
Here are mine:

Living room - Samsung PN63B590 63-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV

Home office - Westinghouse 1080P LCD

Bedroom - Sony Bravia SXRD KDS-60A3000 60" 1080p Rear Projection HDTV ( I have removed the speakers on top of the NHT SB2s)

Jul 29, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #203 of 206

Quote:
Nice setup all around, especially the office one.  NES, Darth Tater, and the other nifty little things.  I like the desk too.  What kind is it?

Thanks, I have changed the headphone setup, but the rest is pretty much the same. 

The desk is a Bush SERIES C:RIGHT L-BOW DESK that I got from Amazon. When I bought it I was looking for something that had the right dimensions to fit between the wall and the closet and still have room for my rack.  This was about the only thing that fit the space and it fits perfectly.  I am very happy with how it turned out.  The keyboard tray slides under the desk and was an add-on that has screws that fit into the desk's predrilled holes. 

Jul 29, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #204 of 206
Cool, thanks.  I need something large and deep enough to put my display back (about the same size as yours) so I don't sit so close to it.  The way I have it now is kind of a pain in the butt.  I'm just not sure if that desk will be big enough for me cuz I'll need room for my mouse and mousepad, and am not a fan of keyboard trays.  I might end up using a door as a desk or something >_>

Jul 29, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #205 of 206

Quote:
  I'm just not sure if that desk will be big enough for me cuz I'll need room for my mouse and mousepad, and am not a fan of keyboard trays

I only store it there when it is not in use.  The keyboard is usually in my lap and I use the desktop for the mouse.  It is deeper than it looks in the pic.  You should track down the dimensions before you decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back