The Plasma & LCD TV Thread: Post Pics of Yours? Ask Questions?
May 25, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #16 of 206
Just got a PS3 to watch Bluray. Also bought a Ratatouille Bluray to test the quality. Must say it's damn good. Especially the sound, and this is coming from Kuro's stock speakers, not even a full-on home theatre setup.

I must admit that the speakers from Kuro is very good for TV speakers, and the 3D audio works really well too, not just a gimmicky feature.

May 25, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #17 of 206
I have the Pioneer FHD-1. Pioneer Plasma's rule...simple.

Whooo 1080P

Plasma has better color reproduction, viewing angle and TRUE contrast. Unlike LCD's that make up the PQ by adding contrast.

May 25, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #18 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got a PS3 to watch Bluray. Also bought a Ratatouille Bluray to test the quality. Must say it's damn good. Especially the sound, and this is coming from Kuro's stock speakers, not even a full-on home theatre setup.

I must admit that the speakers from Kuro is very good for TV speakers, and the 3D audio works really well too, not just a gimmicky feature.

Night at the Museum (I know, kids movie), ROCKS...my son likes it too.

May 25, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #19 of 206
I have Panasonic 42PX70 42" plasma screen. Panasonic gives you the best bang for the buck on plasma screens nowadays. Pioneer might have a SLIGHT edge when it comes to black level but the difference should be extremely small. But the price difference is everything but small.

New 8-series (G11 panel) gets raving reviews. I might just upgrade my HD-ready PX70 to fullhd Panasonic at the end of the summer, though I'm perfectly happy with the current screen also. I don't feel that 1080p is quite that necessary on screens this small. I can live with 720p. Still most of my watching is on regular digital TV broadcasts which are far from HD-quality. It will be several years until we have proper 1080p broadcasts here in Finland.

Pretty much the only negative thing on plasma screens is the high power consumption compared to LCD.

BC.jpg

May 26, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #20 of 206
I dont have pics now, but my uncle got me a 32 inch Sony Baravia for a belated 16th birthday gift.

May 26, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #21 of 206
Agreed that Panasonic 50PX70 series is the best bang for your buck at the moment. I was gonna get that one if I couldn't get Kuro.

The reason why I settled for 50" Kuro was because of: more connections, better black & colours (although the Panny is excellent too), free delivery, and 5 years warranty. I think those factors pretty much made up the price difference. (I bought the 50XDA for AUS$2,700 on 12 months interest free, which I think it's an excellent deal). The speakers on Kuro is surprisingly very good, especially the surround mode.

May 26, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #22 of 206
Quote:

Agreed that Panasonic 50PX70 series is the best bang for your buck at the moment. I was gonna get that one if I couldn't get Kuro.

The reason why I settled for 50" Kuro was because of: more connections, better black & colours (although the Panny is excellent too), free delivery, and 5 years warranty. I think those factors pretty much made up the price difference. (I bought the 50XDA for AUS$2,700 on 12 months interest free, which I think it's an excellent deal). The speakers on Kuro is surprisingly very good, especially the surround mode.

Pioneer should be the best but I just can't understand their pricing. It's awful.

About the black level, hdtvtest.co.uk compared some Panasonic models to Pioneer PDP-4280XD here. Difference seems to be quite small.
smily_headphones1.gif

In spite of the numbers, all of the above plasma screens produce what I would classify as "excellent" blacks. It's probably only during a side-by-side comparison in a totally dark viewing environment that you could detect a difference in precharge glow between panels.

May 27, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #24 of 206
I got a pana 37PX80 and absolutely love it; The colors are very beautiful.
No pics, camera broke on my holiday in thailand last week.

May 27, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #25 of 206
I own a Toshiba Regza 42XV500P.
Only had it for 10 days, but so far really like it..

May 27, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #26 of 206
Quote:

Nah, I had never regretted paying 700 bucks extra for Kuro, especially including 5 years warranty, free delivery and installation too.

The price difference (IIRC) is much more here in Finland.

May 27, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #27 of 206
So there's some good recommenations regarding brand/model for plasma tvs. What's a good brand/model for lcd tvs? I'm looking at something ~52" size. +- 6"

May 27, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #29 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So there's some good recommenations regarding brand/model for plasma tvs. What's a good brand/model for lcd tvs? I'm looking at something ~52" size. +- 6"

The Toshiba XF550 series is one to look at. Also look at the Samsung A550 series. They are solid too. The Sonys are just being released for the most part but are typically higher priced for what they give you.

EDIT: You can get a Sammy 52A550 for under $2K which is a good deal on a great 60Hz set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back