The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Dec 12, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #4,037 of 5,762
@nc8000
ask, isn't the digital coaxial output cable the better quality connection to the amp?
I compared the optical and coaxial from my CD player to TA, I found that optical is better, not sure if the coaxial output of my CD player is not as good as the optical one.

Dec 15, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #4,039 of 5,762
What is the 3-pole mini plug x2 used for?

The Sony MDR-Z7 came equipped with a 2x 3.5mm cable for balanced (this was before the 4.4mm Pentaconn was available). This ensures you can use it balanced with all of Sony’s top headphones of the last 5 years.

Jan 9, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #4,041 of 5,762
Happy New Year & Hello all TA-ZH1ES owners!

I'm a new audio enthusiast and recently became a TA-ZH1ES owner. I like to know what music player software are you using on the PC/Windows? I have a big collection of songs on storage and am wondering what are the good desktop application to use for Hi-Res audio playback.

I like to know if there is any hearing test or something like that to test our hearing ability? Or help us identify our audio preference? I'm wondering if it makes sense to invest further in this hobby and am not sure if my ears are good enough to detect the sound variations. When can somebody be considered an audiophile?

What is everybody thought about Sony's upcoming CES show? Will they be announcing any new audio product on Jan. 11?

Sorry for the many questions, just some thought I've been having and wanted to hear your opinions.

Cheers to all and enjoy your weekend with good sound!

Jan 9, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #4,042 of 5,762

I'm a new audio enthusiast and recently became a TA-ZH1ES owner. I like to know what music player software are you using on the PC/Windows? I have a big collection of songs on storage and am wondering what are the good desktop application to use for Hi-Res audio playback.

I like to know if there is any hearing test or something like that to test our hearing ability? Or help us identify our audio preference? I'm wondering if it makes sense to invest further in this hobby and am not sure if my ears are good enough to detect the sound variations. When can somebody be considered an audiophile?

What is everybody thought about Sony's upcoming CES show? Will they be announcing any new audio product on Jan. 11?

Sorry for the many questions, just some thought I've been having and wanted to hear your opinions.

Welcome on board! You definitely want to invest in a bit perfect player. For Windows you also want to make sure you get the ASIO driver from Sony and select that as your output device for the player. Here are some options and my opinions:

Foobar2000 - it's free and fully customizable. However, it requires quite a bit of researching on setup and best sound quality.
JRiver - great player that get's updated frequently. UI has nice utility but is pretty outdated aesthetically.
Audirvana - used to be exclusive to Mac, but ported to Windows recently. Best UI IMHO and is what I use.

For the paid apps, they offer free trials so definitely try before buying.

Jan 9, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #4,043 of 5,762

Have you tried the Sony player? https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/downloads/00016441
I used it on my PHA-3. Works fine, the only downside is that it forgets where you left when idling for a while.

Jan 9, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #4,045 of 5,762

I’ve for years been using foobar2000. It is free and extremely customizable but it takes time and effort to set up and the interface is old but does everything I want so I have never tried anything else

Jan 9, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #4,046 of 5,762

Audirvana on macOS

Jan 10, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #4,048 of 5,762
Welcome on board! You definitely want to invest in a bit perfect player. For Windows you also want to make sure you get the ASIO driver from Sony and select that as your output device for the player. Here are some options and my opinions:

Foobar2000 - it's free and fully customizable. However, it requires quite a bit of researching on setup and best sound quality.
JRiver - great player that get's updated frequently. UI has nice utility but is pretty outdated aesthetically.
Audirvana - used to be exclusive to Mac, but ported to Windows recently. Best UI IMHO and is what I use.

For the paid apps, they offer free trials so definitely try before buying.

Amarra Luxe! It’s $99 one time fee but it is the best I tried so far and has Tidal, iTunes and Qobuuz interactivity.

Jan 10, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #4,050 of 5,762
Trying to install Audirvana my Win10 machine refuses to do anything when clicking on the final download link

Users who are viewing this thread

Back