The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Nov 8, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #4,021 of 5,766
Analog into the TA gets converted back to digital, then processed internally and then converted back again to analog for the headphone output. I have no idea which way will sound best to you
Some people can hear a difference between the different digital input methods and different cables, others cant

Got it, yea guess in the end I just gotta try and experiment with different options.

Nov 8, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #4,022 of 5,766
"The Arche has XLR outputs in addition to RCA and that is just significantly better paired with my Phonitor 2"

I mean that's cool and all, but you have a 5,000 dollar stack there, so it really ought to sound better than a 2,000 dac/amp from Sony....

I'd be mad if it didn't lol

Nov 8, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #4,023 of 5,766
I get the part about bypassing the internal parts of the player when using usb vs rca. I guess I was still a bit confused since I've read in some posts that certain storage is superior to others and wasn't sure how that worked.

Also, I've read some users said when connecting via usb, it's better to use the port in the back with a dock/dongle as opposed to the supplied the stock usb supplied? Also you should use an ugraded usb cable?

Using the USB adapter or The Cradle can allow the input of a few of the higher bit rate files, which the side connected DAP to the TA does not handle. There may also be slight improvement going to the rear USB with an aftermarket USB cable using the Cradle or adapter but if there is a sound improvement it’s very marginal? But I believe it’s there? To me playing files off a smart TV going optical to the TA sounded the same? But you have a bit-rate ceiling with optical.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-WMC-NWH10-Conversion-Cable-Output/dp/B00FF086HE

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #4,024 of 5,766
Just got this unit the other day and digging it so far. Was wondering about the clicking noise from the DAC when one is switching songs. Seems to only be on the pre-out, and only when one changes tracks manually so to speak. I saw something about this earlier in this thread but there didnt seem to be a conclusion wether this is "normal" behavior.

Nov 22, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #4,025 of 5,766
Just got this unit the other day and digging it so far. Was wondering about the clicking noise from the DAC when one is switching songs. Seems to only be on the pre-out, and only when one changes tracks manually so to speak. I saw something about this earlier in this thread but there didnt seem to be a conclusion wether this is "normal" behavior.

I expect that it is the same as in the WM1 daps where there is a mechanical click from relays when switching between the 44khz and the 48khz clock but I don’t know and it isn’t something I have noticed

Nov 22, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #4,026 of 5,766
I expect that it is the same as in the WM1 daps where there is a mechanical click from relays when switching between the 44khz and the 48khz clock but I don’t know and it isn’t something I have noticed
I certainly haven't experienced this, switching between 44 and 48 or between any others.. I suppose it could be the MIDI from the source that is making the sound.

Nov 23, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #4,027 of 5,766
What I’m talking about isn’t switching between different sample rates. The mechanical clicking comes from the dac itself even when just switching tracks within the same album.

But it’s only when using pre out. If I connect hp to the Sony directly it doesn’t do this.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #4,028 of 5,766
Hello guys!

I've been using high end DAPs from the beginning of my audioquest, starting from Hifiman HM-801, but I've never used any hi-fi DAC/AMPs for headphones and thought maybe it's the time for me to try one!

I now have Sony wm1z DAP with Sony's mdr-z1r and ier-z1r headphones/IEMs and also considering purchasing Hifiman Arya, for which I've got a good deal for.
Would jumping from wm1z to TA-ZH1ES noticeable enough in terms of SQ or is it just a slight upgrade? Maybe someone has experience with those setups and can share his thoughts on this...
I guess its worth noting than I'm more than satisfied with the performance of my current setup, but going for a new headphones with not the greatest sensitivity (90), although pretty low Ohms (35), I thought maybe I have to get some more power to drive them and my other headphones can also benefit from this...

Also are there any benefits in using wm1z as a source compared to say PC or a phone? And if so, do I just connect them via usb? And is it possible to connect the TA to smart TV (namely LG Oled C8) or Switch/PS4 and is it worth it? Does TA have some kind of bluetooth compatibility? And lastly, is this DAC suitable for gaming, especially competitive FPS, I've tried using my DAP as a DAC, but there was a significant delay, so I just bought Audeze Mobius with internal DAC/AMP for gaming, but would reconsider it if this setup (TA+Arya) will work better.

Sorry for the rant, hope someone can answer some of the questions, would greatly appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #4,029 of 5,766
Hello guys!

I've been using high end DAPs from the beginning of my audioquest, starting from Hifiman HM-801, but I've never used any hi-fi DAC/AMPs for headphones and thought maybe it's the time for me to try one!

I now have Sony wm1z DAP with Sony's mdr-z1r and ier-z1r headphones/IEMs and also considering purchasing Hifiman Arya, for which I've got a good deal for.
Would jumping from wm1z to TA-ZH1ES noticeable enough in terms of SQ or is it just a slight upgrade? Maybe someone has experience with those setups and can share his thoughts on this...
I guess its worth noting than I'm more than satisfied with the performance of my current setup, but going for a new headphones with not the greatest sensitivity (90), although pretty low Ohms (35), I thought maybe I have to get some more power to drive them and my other headphones can also benefit from this...

Also are there any benefits in using wm1z as a source compared to say PC or a phone? And if so, do I just connect them via usb? And is it possible to connect the TA to smart TV (namely LG Oled C8) or Switch/PS4 and is it worth it? Does TA have some kind of bluetooth compatibility? And lastly, is this DAC suitable for gaming, especially competitive FPS, I've tried using my DAP as a DAC, but there was a significant delay, so I just bought Audeze Mobius with internal DAC/AMP for gaming, but would reconsider it if this setup (TA+Arya) will work better.

Sorry for the rant, hope someone can answer some of the questions, would greatly appreciate any help.

I have compared the the 1Z to the TA pretty extensively, using the mdr z1r and the audeze lcd2c. For a portable, all in one package I think that little beats the 1Z, especially paired with the z1r. But when I’m at my desk I prefer the TA.

It’s noticeably better than the 1Z, not significant, but noticeably. I think the low end hits a little harder and is better controlled. I also think that the passages where the 1Z can sound a little nervous in the highs, the TA calms everything down. But this is from A/B ing back and forth. I can easily lie an entire evening on the couch with the 1Z without missing the TA in the slightest.

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #4,030 of 5,766
I have compared the the 1Z to the TA pretty extensively, using the mdr z1r and the audeze lcd2c. For a portable, all in one package I think that little beats the 1Z, especially paired with the z1r. But when I’m at my desk I prefer the TA.

It’s noticeably better than the 1Z, not significant, but noticeably. I think the low end hits a little harder and is better controlled. I also think that the passages where the 1Z can sound a little nervous in the highs, the TA calms everything down. But this is from A/B ing back and forth. I can easily lie an entire evening on the couch with the 1Z without missing the TA in the slightest.
Thanks a lot, that's actually calmed me and my urge for new equipment quite a bit I must say! :)
Do you think 1Z will drive Arya well enough? It has 90 sensitivity and 35 impedance. Would have asked in 1z/1a thread, but it's closed for some reason...

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #4,031 of 5,766
Thanks a lot, that's actually calmed me and my urge for new equipment quite a bit I must say! :)
Do you think 1Z will drive Arya well enough? It has 90 sensitivity and 35 impedance. Would have asked in 1z/1a thread, but it's closed for some reason...

The Walkman’s don’t have that much power on tap, I don’t think it is enough to drive the Arya to its full potential. I don’t doubt that it will still sound good though.

Here is the new Walkman thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-new-sony-walkman-1z-1a-thread.944508/

Dec 11, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #4,033 of 5,766
Does anyone have experience of using the TA-ZH with a tube amp, i.e. as a DAC - can you comment on the quality of the DAC? I'm trying to decide whether I need to buy a DAC when my Linear tube head amp arrives or whether that would be a needless expense and feeding it from the TA-ZH would be good enough...

Dec 11, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #4,034 of 5,766
Does anyone have experience of using the TA-ZH with a tube amp, i.e. as a DAC - can you comment on the quality of the DAC? I'm trying to decide whether I need to buy a DAC when my Linear tube head amp arrives or whether that would be a needless expense and feeding it from the TA-ZH would be good enough...
Well I can’t address the tube amp aspect, but I did use the TA as a DAC with my Phonitor 2 amp. Subsequently, I purchased a Focal Arche and also used that as a DAC with the Phonitor 2. If you are satisfied with theTA as a stand-alone amp/DAC I think you will be even happier with the TA DAC. For me, it worked very well with my Sony WM1Z as the music source and having numerous headphone connections (balanced, 4.4, etc) was a real bonus since I could leave two or three headphones connected to be able to switch back and forth. I’d say the Arche was a step up in terms of DAC quality and the Arche had the added advantage of balanced out to the Phonitor as opposed to RCA Only from the TA. There are, of course, “better” DAC’s out there; I recently purchased a Chord TT2/M-Scaler combination which just blows away anything I’ve previously used—-it’s that good.

The warmth of a tube amp will add a different feel to the listening experience. I have a preference to the cleaner sharper edge od solid state, but that’s me. Here are some pics:
83BE9DB6-A8CA-4F04-9382-E3AEB481278B.jpeg
E1202DD6-20A5-405A-A012-B9483AB4A749.jpeg
39C055D2-3740-4907-AACA-CB283E80313B.jpeg

Dec 11, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #4,035 of 5,766
Well I can’t address the tube amp aspect, but I did use the TA as a DAC with my Phonitor 2 amp. Subsequently, I purchased a Focal Arche and also used that as a DAC with the Phonitor 2. If you are satisfied with theTA as a stand-alone amp/DAC I think you will be even happier with the TA DAC. For me, it worked very well with my Sony WM1Z as the music source and having numerous headphone connections (balanced, 4.4, etc) was a real bonus since I could leave two or three headphones connected to be able to switch back and forth. I’d say the Arche was a step up in terms of DAC quality and the Arche had the added advantage of balanced out to the Phonitor as opposed to RCA Only from the TA. There are, of course, “better” DAC’s out there; I recently purchased a Chord TT2/M-Scaler combination which just blows away anything I’ve previously used—-it’s that good.

The warmth of a tube amp will add a different feel to the listening experience. I have a preference to the cleaner sharper edge od solid state, but that’s me. Here are some pics:83BE9DB6-A8CA-4F04-9382-E3AEB481278B.jpegE1202DD6-20A5-405A-A012-B9483AB4A749.jpeg39C055D2-3740-4907-AACA-CB283E80313B.jpeg
You have succeeded in making me feel restrained when I'd been feeling guilty!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back