The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Oct 5, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #4,006 of 5,771
@nc8000
ask, isn't the digital coaxial output cable the better quality connection to the amp?

Don’t know as I’ve never used that connection. I use the rear usb to connect to my Auralic streamer and optical to connect to my Samsung tv

Oct 11, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #4,007 of 5,771
Anyone using an AudioQuest Carbon USB B to C cable to connect a newer Mac laptop to the TA? This cable wasn't cheap, and the connection to the Mac with this cable is now loose. I found indications online that the internals of the C port on newer Macs can become loose after a while, but the Apple OE charging cable fits tight and without issue. I'm thinking this particular AudioQuest cable isn't made to connect as securely which can become problematic after a while. A little disappointing.

Oct 12, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #4,008 of 5,771
Anyone using an AudioQuest Carbon USB B to C cable to connect a newer Mac laptop to the TA? This cable wasn't cheap, and the connection to the Mac with this cable is now loose. I found indications online that the internals of the C port on newer Macs can become loose after a while, but the Apple OE charging cable fits tight and without issue. I'm thinking this particular AudioQuest cable isn't made to connect as securely which can become problematic after a while. A little disappointing.
That sounds like a quality issue with the connector on the audioquest cable, if other cables are behaving in the fashion you expect, this is likely the case

Oct 12, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #4,009 of 5,771
That sounds like a quality issue with the connector on the audioquest cable, if other cables are behaving in the fashion you expect, this is likely the case
I have a feeling it has more to do with the design of the cable. The C ports on newer Macs are known to fail, and I’m thinking this particular cable hastens along this process.

Oct 12, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #4,010 of 5,771
I have a feeling it has more to do with the design of the cable. The C ports on newer Macs are known to fail, and I’m thinking this particular cable hastens along this process.
I've had the USB-C ports on my 2018 MacBook Pro fail and had to have them replaced by Apple under warranty. I've also had received bad cables. The Thunderbolt cable that came with my OWC ThunderBay 4 wouldn't stay seated in my Mac mini and I would see drive disconnects randomly. Once I replaced the cable with an Apple Thurderbolt cable no more issues. So I would take it back to the dealer you bought the AQ cable from.

Oct 14, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #4,012 of 5,771
I've had the USB-C ports on my 2018 MacBook Pro fail and had to have them replaced by Apple under warranty. I've also had received bad cables. The Thunderbolt cable that came with my OWC ThunderBay 4 wouldn't stay seated in my Mac mini and I would see drive disconnects randomly. Once I replaced the cable with an Apple Thurderbolt cable no more issues. So I would take it back to the dealer you bought the AQ cable from.
Thanks, I think the cable is fine though, I think it just put's pressure on an already weak port because it doesn't fit as securely into the port as say the OE Apple charging cable. When the connector end going into the laptop's C port is bending at an angle, say when the laptop is sitting in your lap, it pulls on the port and after time, causes it to fail. Anyone interested in this not inexpensive USB B to C cable to use with a late model Mac should probably be aware of this issue.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #4,015 of 5,771
@Gadget67 likes the Arche a lot more afaik
I still own and like the TA but the dual 4490 DAC chips in the Arche produce a superior sound IMHO. I do not, however, like the Arche single dial control and it occasionally has connectivity issues unless I use the “correct” sequence (turn on the Arche and wait for the default screen and then connect the source). I own the Utopia and Stellia headphones and the Arche is specifically eq’d for each of Focal’s headphones. The Focal headphones just plain sound better using the Arche. The TA has all those nice headphone outputs and since I have a WM1Z i don’t have any connectivity issues with that source. The Arche has XLR outputs in addition to RCA and that is just significantly better paired with my Phonitor 2. For convenience and smoother operability the TA has the edge; if you are after cleaner, better sound results, take the Arche even with the issues I mentioned earlier. If you already own a Focal Utopia, Stellia or Clear, you can get a $1,000 voucher from Focal so the final price is $1,500; it’s a bargain at that price.
6E48F863-9491-4802-B73C-3AE3E4623871.jpeg

Nov 8, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #4,016 of 5,771
I got a question regarding pairing a 1z with the ta.

How does the sound differ if I were to connect it via usb vs line in with the rca? Is on preferred over the other?

Nov 8, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #4,017 of 5,771
I got a question regarding pairing a 1z with the ta.

How does the sound differ if I were to connect it via usb vs line in with the rca? Is on preferred over the other?
Connecting the player via USB will bypass any of the processing done on the player - the player will just choose the song to play, the amplifier will handle the decode, post processing and amplification.

3.5mm -> RCA in will go through the player’s decode, post processing and amplification stages and again the amplifier’s post processing and amplification stages.

You’ll want to experiment which sounds best to you, trying out the various options available to you, though a purist may say that USB in to the amp will be the purest version possible.

Try both out! Personally I prefer using my ZX507 with the amp via USB in - the convenience is nice.

Nov 8, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #4,018 of 5,771
Connecting the player via USB will bypass any of the processing done on the player - the player will just choose the song to play, the amplifier will handle the decode, post processing and amplification.

3.5mm -> RCA in will go through the player’s decode, post processing and amplification stages and again the amplifier’s post processing and amplification stages.

You’ll want to experiment which sounds best to you, trying out the various options available to you, though a purist may say that USB in to the amp will be the purest version possible.

Try both out! Personally I prefer using my ZX507 with the amp via USB in - the convenience is nice.

I get the part about bypassing the internal parts of the player when using usb vs rca. I guess I was still a bit confused since I've read in some posts that certain storage is superior to others and wasn't sure how that worked.

Also, I've read some users said when connecting via usb, it's better to use the port in the back with a dock/dongle as opposed to the supplied the stock usb supplied? Also you should use an ugraded usb cable?

Nov 8, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #4,019 of 5,771

Analog into the TA gets converted back to digital, then processed internally and then converted back again to analog for the headphone output. I have no idea which way will sound best to you

Nov 8, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #4,020 of 5,771
I get the part about bypassing the internal parts of the player when using usb vs rca. I guess I was still a bit confused since I've read in some posts that certain storage is superior to others and wasn't sure how that worked.

Also, I've read some users said when connecting via usb, it's better to use the port in the back with a dock/dongle as opposed to the supplied the stock usb supplied? Also you should use an ugraded usb cable?

Some people can hear a difference between the different digital input methods and different cables, others cant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back