The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jan 7, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #1,666 of 9,165
It sucks... until I had heard of this DAP I was perfectly content with what I had... but now that I've read all about this... I want something like this... just not this...
frown.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #1,668 of 9,165
I think I'll wait for the FiiO after all.

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #1,670 of 9,165
I was thinking very hard on getting one of these but frankly, it is frustrating that one, they use some very cheap opamps for the amplifier section and the voltage is 3.7. This is fine, I guess, for IEM's and some easy to drive phones but when I started researching the actual components used, which can be found in some of the cheapest dacs/amps out there, I was disappointed considering what the AK100 costs. If it were a couple of hundred dollars less I could see it. I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade its just that I don't think iRiver, which I have been a fan of for years, at least with the 7 H120/140's I have, is giving people what they should be receiving for the money spent.

Vinnie has states numerous times in numerous places the design and circuit board implementation is first rate...the best he has seen in fact...IMO this takes precedent over whether the manufacturer uses a $0.75 or $3.00 opamp or dac...

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #1,671 of 9,165
Astell & Kern AK100 together with Sennheiser IE 800 the perfect match:

[size=12.0pt]http://instagr.am/p/UONXuULDn-/[/size]

[size=12.0pt]IMHO[/size]

[size=12.0pt]Cheers,[/size]
[size=12.0pt]Nick[/size]

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #1,672 of 9,165
Quote:
I was thinking very hard on getting one of these but frankly, it is frustrating that one, they use some very cheap opamps for the amplifier section and the voltage is 3.7. This is fine, I guess, for IEM's and some easy to drive phones but when I started researching the actual components used, which can be found in some of the cheapest dacs/amps out there, I was disappointed considering what the AK100 costs. If it were a couple of hundred dollars less I could see it. I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade its just that I don't think iRiver, which I have been a fan of for years, at least with the 7 H120/140's I have, is giving people what they should be receiving for the money spent.

What is your sentence on the Studio V that uses the Sigmatel 3770 DAC chip then?

SQ alone, I really like what I am hearing from the RWAK100 and it impresses me more than the DX100. The DX100 could drive difficult to drive headphones but I don't find myself enjoying listening to them on the DX100. I know some head-fiers will wear even a LCD3 on the street so they needed the DX100 but, not me.

Coupled with the small size, great battery life, good UI and 2x micro sd slots, it scores 9/10 for me (minus 1 due to the lack of ALAC/AIFF & Gapless support).

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #1,674 of 9,165
Quote:

I have a feelings somethings gotta give on that but I guess i could be wrong.  It would be nice if it cracks up to be everything that everyone wants.

LOL true...but the exact same was said about the AK100. For me, it's not worth swapping out my iMod and re-ripping thousands of songs when my music sounds great as it is. I'd rather spend the $800 on my Harley to be honest. LOL

Jan 8, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #1,675 of 9,165
RWAK100 out of the box initial sound impression is pretty good. Black background, very articulate and resolving. Liking the volume wheel so far.

Tags and artwork are kind of hit or miss. Using XLD to convert ALAC to FLAC and media fire to get artwork not maintained. Most tags are right but found a few not showing track name but are associated with correct artist and album. More than a few album covers not showing up, even though embedded. Firmware 1.13.

Thanks Vinnie!

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #1,677 of 9,165
Quote:
RWAK100 out of the box initial sound impression is pretty good. Black background, very articulate and resolving. Liking the volume wheel so far.
Tags and artwork are kind of hit or miss. Using XLD to convert ALAC to FLAC and media fire to get artwork not maintained. Most tags are right but found a few not showing track name but are associated with correct artist and album. More than a few album covers not showing up, even though embedded. Firmware 1.13.
Thanks Vinnie!

Welcome onboard! I think this is definitely one of the top ranking DAPs out there in this current market. Let's see how this changes when the HM-901 and X3 hit the shelves.

I used mine pretty much the whole day yesterday and was happy that I didn't need to charge it's battery, or flick through songs quickly without and GUI delay, used it for testing external desktop DAC/amps through the optical out.

SQ-wise, so far pairing pretty well with any of my IEMs - UM SE530x8, Sony XBA-30, Tralucent 1+2. Works well with the Fostex TH-900s too via a 1/4"<->1/8" adapter.

I'm particularly curious about Jamato8's claim of the use of cheap OpAmps (and not too certain what use of 3.7v really means audibly speaking). I've got internal pix of the DX100 and the OpAmps there have been scrubbed out too - that's why there's a niche market for the HDP-R10 as it proudly advertises its use of OP627.

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #1,678 of 9,165
Vinnie has states numerous times in numerous places the design and circuit board implementation is first rate...the best he has seen in fact...IMO this takes precedent over whether the manufacturer uses a $0.75 or $3.00 opamp or dac...

There are NO opamps on the output stage. There
are discrete FETs that sound better than opamps.

Away in Vegas,

Vinnie

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #1,679 of 9,165
Quote:
Thanks Vinnie!

Ahh so you did go for it after our little chat lol :p.

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #1,680 of 9,165
So after a few hours with the RWAK100 coupled with my FXZ200... I have to say that the sound is very dynamic, clean, balanced.  My only portable source for the last few months has been the clip zip both rockboxed and not.  is the RWAK100 18 times better than the clip zip? of course not, but is it a significant difference to my ears with my earphones? Yes.  I feel that the FXZ are rather hard to drive for an IEM so that might have a lot to do with the difference.  

Before the RWAK100, in bed I would listen to the clip zip > O2 > FXZ200 and it helped the sound a lot but its still not as good as the RWAK100 to me.  

I love the size, build quality, and volume knob.  Mine is feels loose as someone else mentioned, but when you change the volume, it is very exact.  

It's a $900 music player... to most people that is straight up stupid.  But if youre looking for amazing sq for portable/easier to drive headphones (have not tried anything more difficult to drive), in a single unit, in a super small size, with a UI that does its job, and dont need all the bells and whistles of Android and whatnot, and have a lot of money to spend, and is someone looking for that last 5-15% to squeeze out of your pocket rig, this may be it. 

I figure, its either something like this or the DX100 or buy  a different cheaper dap, portable amp, ICs, blah blah blah... the price gets up there pretty quick.  

For me, especially with a baby coming, I dont know if I will be able to afford to keep it long term, but I am 100% happy that I got to hear this amazing little unit.  Now.. if only it could drive the HD650s..... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back