The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jan 7, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #1,651 of 9,165
Quote:
@TGOM, good report on the other aspects of the AK100. Whilst I'm not saying what you're reported is incorrect, I'd just like to state it depends on where you're coming from.

Judging by your thoughts there, you better stay away from the DX100 and the HM-901 :D. The DX100 backing is a thin sheet of aluminium and nothing really to enforce it - so it dents. The DX100 UI is slow, and even after booting up you'll have to wait a few good minutes for Media Scanner to re-index. I leave my DX100 on, so I don't have to worry about the Media Scanner (unless I add/delete songs, or eject and insert the microSD) - the DX100 is $829. As for the HM-901, fair enough the one I played with was an October prototype - and it was plasticky. Didn't reflect a $1000 device (or $1200 in Japan - with no amp).

Seems all these high end players (maybe the Tera Player is the only exception - there's no LCD to shatter), have build issues.

The iDevices, Sonys, and Cowons seem to be better built. Whilst the Sony NW-Z (don't know about the NW-F's) skins do peel after time, at least they're only $400 devices.

Actually of all the devices I've owned I hate to say it but it's the iDevices that's the most consistent, dependable, and durable for use. I've not had any problems with album artwork, synchronisation is mostly clockwork and think-free with iTunes, and they're pretty durable. I still have my old iPod Photo after 7 years?

In terms of durability my Studio V 3rd ANV is it. Not even the iphone4 or any ipod or Sony for that matter will compare in that area. Of course in UI it loses out but in terms of durability & sound quality, not even close.

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #1,655 of 9,165
It says expected delivery date by tomorrow but since it said processed through sort facility early this morning. I'd expect it to be out for delivery today :wink:.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #1,657 of 9,165
mine has been received by my shipping depot....
biggrin.gif

can't pick up until Wed.... 
mad.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #1,658 of 9,165
Quote:
nelam basically AnakChan feels the units are on par generally in terms of sound quality driving sensitive IEMs. That is what fits my needs. I wanted the better UI, smaller form factor, better battery life and even more storage capability all in one unit. I still think the DX100 is still the overall better sounding unit but not enough so where I will really miss it and its own shortcomings. I agree what iRiver did is fu#### up and they deserve to fail as a company. But this is the case where I am making a sacrifice (I did the same owning the DX100 but different circumstances) to obtain the ideal portable player with great sound quality all in one. In terms of driving power I see it as a no contest. The DX100 owns the iRiver when you take into account hard to drive headphones and without the mod the DX100 yet again owns the AK100 when driving sensitive IEMs. So its a game of compromise. Chose your medicine that tastes best to you :wink:.

OK, I concede that different things are important to different people, so I'm gonna apologize for the tone of my posts last night.

So long as you guys are happy, I guess I have no place to beef.  
beerchug.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #1,660 of 9,165
Quote:

Judging by your thoughts there, you better stay away from the DX100 and the HM-901 :D. <snip>

Seems all these high end players (maybe the Tera Player is the only exception - there's no LCD to shatter), have build issues.<snip>

Actually of all the devices I've owned I hate to say it but it's the iDevices that's the most consistent, dependable, and durable for use. I've not had any problems with album artwork, synchronisation is mostly clockwork and think-free with iTunes, and they're pretty durable. I still have my old iPod Photo after 7 years?

Yeah, I have followed (and held off on) the DX100 and HM-901, and both seem to have (had) a rough road ahead, and comparatively one thing I have to give the AK100 credit for: it was announced, released and relatively well working in a relatively short amount of time, probably due to the much larger scale operation that is iRiver.

I actually think the build quality of the AK100 is very solid, while the wheel may be a bit wobbly, it still works very precisely, and the only "weakness" is the same general one with all touchscreen devices: if the screen is damaged, it's game over, unlike the older iPods for example. However, having no screen at all, like the Tera Player or the iPod Shuffle etc.) is a bit TOO limiting to me... The weakness is the firmware, but at least that can be fixed after the fact... I sure hope so.

And yes, almost despite iTunes, the iPod has served me well over the years too, and the ease & speed with which you can transfer media & playlists manually or automatically is still a reference for me. One reason I ended up giving the AK100 a go is because I seriously looked into modding my iPod Classic with a solid-state drive since Apple seems to have all but abandoned it. But the hassle, incompatibility issues and high price, at least for some of the larger drives, was just too much for me. Having it be external and easily swappable, exp. 2x (!), on the AK100 was a big draw for me. I'm sure that there will be eventually 96GB or 128GB mSD cards and thus the AK100 will not just match but surpass the 160GB iPod in storage.

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #1,663 of 9,165
Well, size isn't quire as important to me, and I love Android, so I think I'm gonna get a DX100.

But I'm glad the RWA mod is working out.  I know Vinnie is a class act, so you guys should be fine, support wise.

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #1,664 of 9,165
I haven't had much time with it. But a main reason I didn't go with the DX100 is because I don't need a player with Android or wifi or apps. I have my s3 for that. I want a small player with good ui and of course good Sq.
Other than the price and the fact that it's iriver, i really like what I have here.

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #1,665 of 9,165
I was thinking very hard on getting one of these but frankly, it is frustrating that one, they use some very cheap opamps for the amplifier section and the voltage is 3.7. This is fine, I guess, for IEM's and some easy to drive phones but when I started researching the actual components used, which can be found in some of the cheapest dacs/amps out there, I was disappointed considering what the AK100 costs. If it were a couple of hundred dollars less I could see it. I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade its just that I don't think iRiver, which I have been a fan of for years, at least with the 7 H120/140's I have, is giving people what they should be receiving for the money spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back