The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jan 6, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #1,621 of 9,165
Quote:
Welcome onboard (and soon the Benchmark ship also)!

Pretty excited, although I've owned a DAC1 previously. Really was in love with the simplicity of the thing many moons ago.

Quote:

To me, this is a CLEAR win, no, a clear TROUNCING by the DX100!  And you're ready to give up your DX100?  Why?  Simply because of size?  The Terra player is even smaller, why not just stick with that?

I'm sorry, I respect your opinions, and I mean no offense, but you're really not making much sense IMHO.

It's obviously a balancing act. A mix of battery life, portability, and other features have made this the right player for him. This hobby is full of trade-offs. Given my use case, this is as close to perfect as I've found and I suspect given the form factor and functionality, many others would agree. It's a context thing; you're looking for best SQ for your buck while others may be looking for something else.

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #1,622 of 9,165
Quote:
If you're like me who've been observing the thread in silence, then by now you must have known that if both players are on par SQ-wise, then the deciding factors would boil down to other aspects such as battery life, portability and usability. The RWAK might be a strech more expensive, but it wins hands down in the battery contest, is much smaller and has a more responsive touch screen. Take all of those into account and it makes sense to me why people do want to pay that extra over the DX100. Concerning firmware updates, IMO they are just there so that they could fix what was wrong with the DX100 in the first place and get it to work like how it's supposed to, rather than truly "improving" on the SQ front.

And let me be honest and say that IMHO I don't think you're making much sense by dragging the Tera Player into the conversation. Why on earth would you think a screenless player would be appropriate for comparison? 

There is no such thing as the perfect device.  For example, if you hope to ever have gapless playback on the RWAK100, you're going to need a FIRMWARE UPDATE.  IMHO, you have not much hope of getting one, based on the behavior we've all had opportunity to observe from iRiver..

The fact that you brought up what was wrong in the first place in the DX100 makes me laugh, hard!  Have you forgotten that without RWA's mod, the AK100 is not even in the same league as the DX100?  Thers's a LOT more wrong in the AK100 than in the DX100, by a wide margin.

I brought up the Terra player to point out that if size is more important that the other points I raised, there are smaller player yet out there.  Why stop at the RWAK100 if size is your prime concern?

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #1,623 of 9,165
Quote:
Pretty excited, although I've owned a DAC1 previously. Really was in love with the simplicity of the thing many moons ago.

It's obviously a balancing act. A mix of battery life, portability, and other features have made this the right player for him. This hobby is full of trade-offs. Given my use case, this is as close to perfect as I've found and I suspect given the form factor and functionality, many others would agree. It's a context thing; you're looking for best SQ for your buck while others may be looking for something else.

I don't look for a feud, but I don't want us to forget how iRiver has behaved, and I don't want people to reward this behavior by enriching them.

Do you think they'll hesitate to behave in a similar fashion for their next product launch?

You mention a balancing act, I just hope that for at least some people, iRiver's behavior will also factor into their equations.

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #1,624 of 9,165
Quote:

There is no such thing as the perfect device.  For example, if you hope to ever have gapless playback on the RWAK100, you're going to need a FIRMWARE UPDATE.  IMHO, you have not much hope of getting one, based on the behavior we've all had opportunity to observe from iRiver..

The fact that you brought up what was wrong in the first place in the DX100 makes me laugh, hard!  Have you forgotten that without RWA's mod, the AK100 is not even in the same league as the DX100?  Thers's a LOT more wrong in the AK100 than in the DX100, by a wide margin.

I brought up the Terra player to point out that if size is more important that the other points I raised, there are smaller player yet out there.  Why stop at the RWAK100 if size is your prime concern?

Perhaps once it fits in a jeans or shirt pocket, it's small enough. HiDef? Screen? Mechanical V control. It's the perfect player
wink.gif
 other than the mod and Iriver backing thing.
triportsad.gif
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #1,625 of 9,165
Quote:
Shipping is unlikely to cost more than £20 through Tenso and you can avoid custom by altering the value of the package -at your own risk of course.
The cheapest on eBay is £455 and you very likely would have to add 22% import duty. I think I'll go for the £360 one. 
wink.gif

Never paid  tax from China or SK.

Making value lower is not that easy and may or may not work.

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #1,627 of 9,165
Quote:

I don't look for a feud, but I don't want us to forget how iRiver has behaved, and I don't want people to reward this behavior by enriching them.

Do you think they'll hesitate to behave in a similar fashion for their next product launch?

You mention a balancing act, I just hope that for at least some people, iRiver's behavior will also factor into their equations.

nelam basically AnakChan feels the units are on par generally in terms of sound quality driving sensitive IEMs. That is what fits my needs. I wanted the better UI, smaller form factor, better battery life and even more storage capability all in one unit. I still think the DX100 is still the overall better sounding unit but not enough so where I will really miss it and its own shortcomings. I agree what iRiver did is fu#### up and they deserve to fail as a company. But this is the case where I am making a sacrifice (I did the same owning the DX100 but different circumstances) to obtain the ideal portable player with great sound quality all in one. In terms of driving power I see it as a no contest. The DX100 owns the iRiver when you take into account hard to drive headphones and without the mod the DX100 yet again owns the AK100 when driving sensitive IEMs. So its a game of compromise. Chose your medicine that tastes best to you :wink:.

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #1,628 of 9,165
battery battery battery battery battery expandable.storage battery battery battery

Think 18 hour flights+ and you'll see why the DX100 is a no go.  I would consider the DX100 if it charged via USB (thus allowing the USB battery pack).  But comon' round pin charger; really?  What is this, the 90s?

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #1,631 of 9,165
Quote:

Indeed! 
L3000.gif

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #1,632 of 9,165
Quality over quantity H20 :wink:. Just saying! lol :p.

Does it really last 80 hours? Have you tested that out?

It is good quality, trust me. :smile:

I'll let you know as it's past 25 hours now on the first charge. wje the member said the claimed amounts are true as he's owned one.

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #1,633 of 9,165
Yeah that would be interesting. Let me know as I've never been able to achieve that out of the T1 amp although I keep it at half volume so I'm sure that is playing a partial role :p.

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #1,634 of 9,165
Thx for your responses guys. I think the rest of you have pretty much summed it up. I don't see how moving to the RWAK100 is a loss for my use. I've had this player run since 9:30 am to now 1:40 pm with a 30 min break when I was at the Musica Acoustics office & the battery bar hasn't dropped. There's a GUI & is fast to use. I can put my FLAC files natively, & best of all, I don't sacrifice SQ.

My take is, dwelling on the negativity of iRiver & AK100 isn't healthy. There is no benefit to talking what it could have been. It is what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back