The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 30, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #18,796 of 28,989
Just got the hd800 today..
After comparing it to he 560 with these.. I find the hd 800 soundstage, detail and clarity makes it quite a clear winner over he 560.. prob just my taste.

Was lucky enough to try th 900, t1 and oppo pm 1 as it was all demoable in store.
Im suprised at how 'bad' sounding the th 900 and oppo pm1 is compared to hd800, he 560 and t1. But that's my personal taste again.

Also got to pair the hd 800 to hdvd800, pretty much near perfect. Hd800 with oppo ha 1 is not even close..

May 30, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #18,797 of 28,989
Still looking for an dac, preamp, headamp solution. Got to be balanced & usb input

The hdvd800 seems like a good amp
The V281 seems overkill, just crazy expensive & probably not that good DAC?
gracem903 front outputs are not balanced
Don't know what else audio gd range has that is a big step up from nfb10 (must be dac/preamp/headamp)

May 30, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #18,799 of 28,989
It's difficult to be your favourite... :D

It truly has been difficult to put the HA-200 up for sale, as I like it so much, but it's only my favorite HD800 amp in the $300 price range. :wink:

My roughly $1000 Metrum Acoustics Aurix, though better with the HD800 overall than the HA-200, and especially in terms of resolution without fatigue, does not win in terms of bang-for-the-buck, sound stage, a more "forgiving" nature with less than perfect recordings, or raw power (and thus, versatility with other headphones, like my planar magnetics) and lastly, upgradability (optional conversion to dual mono).

It was the HA-200 that first ended my year long love-hate relationship with the HD800, allowing me to actually enjoy the HD800 for listening to music instead of only using it as a microscope for analyzing and comparing upstream components.

Mike

May 30, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #18,800 of 28,989
It truly has been difficult to put the HA-200 up for sale, as I like it so much, but it's only my favorite HD800 amp in the $300 price range.
wink.gif

My roughly $1000 Metrum Acoustics Aurix, though better with the HD800 overall than the HA-200, and especially in terms of resolution without fatigue, does not win in terms of bang-for-the-buck, sound stage, a more "forgiving" nature with less than perfect recordings, or raw power (and thus, versatility with other headphones, like my planar magnetics) and lastly, upgradability (optional conversion to dual mono).

It was the HA-200 that first ended my year long love-hate relationship with the HD800, allowing me to actually enjoy the HD800 for listening to music instead of only using it as a microscope for analyzing and comparing upstream components.

Mike

Got you and that makes a lot of sense. 
beerchug.gif

May 30, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #18,801 of 28,989
I am a recent convert to the HD800 creed and have to say that I am greatly enjoying the pairing with the Valhalla 2. The one bugbear I have remaining is the comfort of the headband - whilst the earpads are light and create no discomfort, the headband keeps pressuring my upper skull and creating discomfort. Does anyone know of any mod, or even removable extra padding which can be used to relieve the pressure and make the headband more comfortable? Many thanks

May 31, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #18,803 of 28,989
  I just got an HD800 today. I cant believe that some people describe it as bass-light. 

In comparison to Beats?  
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

May 31, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #18,807 of 28,989
Hello all,
I have the HD650 paired with the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball. 
I'm really interested in getting the HD800. How do you think the HD800 will pair with the Crack + Speedball?
(Once I paired the HD700 with O2+ODAC and I couldn't stand the brightness and the treble peaks)

May 31, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #18,808 of 28,989
Bass on HD800 goes quite deep enough in terms of frequency. The problem for people who listen to rock or reggae, for example, is that the weight of the low end is quite light, so not much punch or weight. I am not a bass head but always found HD800 lacking in that regard even with very powerful amps, excellent cans though they otherwise are. Bass will be excellent for classical etc.

May 31, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #18,809 of 28,989
  Hello all,
I have the HD650 paired with the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball. 
I'm really interested in getting the HD800. How do you think the HD800 will pair with the Crack + Speedball?
(Once I paired the HD700 with O2+ODAC and I couldn't stand the brightness and the treble peaks)

I enjoyed the hd800 -> modded crack + speedball combo for quite a while, and there is certainly plenty of listening pleasure to be found with the combo, particularly when aided with a little tube rolling and the anax mod.  Crack can be a little bright up top with hd800's, but the mod (a little foam cutout dropped in the ear side of the cups - http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/diy-modification-sennheiser-hd-800-anaxilus-mod ), totally resolves that, and I think most would acknowledge it as one of the better moderately priced hd800 amps (although some will disagree).  Google "best hd800 amps" and click the first link for more discussion on this.  

Totally agree with you that O2+Odac is unbearable with hd800's.  Even tried the agdr booster mod, and it made no difference.

That said, if you go the hd800 route, I would predict you eventually find yourself upgrading to a more refined amp as budget permits.  Mainline is an awesome option if you have another BH build in you.

May 31, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #18,810 of 28,989

I enjoyed the hd800 -> modded crack + speedball combo for quite a while, and there is certainly plenty of listening pleasure to be found with the combo, particularly when aided with a little tube rolling and the anax mod.  Crack can be a little bright up top with hd800's, but the mod (a little foam cutout dropped in the ear side of the cups - http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/diy-modification-sennheiser-hd-800-anaxilus-mod ), totally resolves that, and I think most would acknowledge it as one of the better moderately priced hd800 amps (although some will disagree).  Google "best hd800 amps" and click the first link for more discussion on this.  

Totally agree with you that O2+Odac is unbearable with hd800's.  Even tried the agdr booster mod, and it made no difference.

That said, if you go the hd800 route, I would predict you eventually find yourself upgrading to a more refined amp as budget permits.  Mainline is an awesome option if you have another BH build in you.

Wow really? The Crack can be bright with the HD800's? If so, I think it's absolutely not an option for me 
triportsad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back