The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 28, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #18,782 of 28,989
  So what's the story with the Anax mod 3? I've been hearing about it for awhile but haven't really seen a finalized design yet.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=New+upcoming+mod+HD800+3.0 
beerchug.gif

May 29, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #18,783 of 28,989
I am really enjoying my HD800's, which i've purchased about 2 months ago. I am also really disappointed with the silver finish Sennheiser uses on these cans. It seems like if you stare at it long enough, it will develop scuffs/scratches. I've been babying my pair since i've received it...covering it with a high quality microfiber cloth every night, shampooing my hair every single time before I even use my headphones. And yet, i'm seeing more and more marks on the silver paint over time. All minor and obviously purely cosmetic, but still very annoying for someone with OCD who just dropped over $1,000 on a pair of headphones. I noticed a small paint imperfection on an edge a few weeks back, and it now looks like it's grown bigger (and quite noticeable from a few feet.) Grrr.

End rant.

May 29, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #18,784 of 28,989
  I am really enjoying my HD800's, which i've purchased about 2 months ago. I am also really disappointed with the silver finish Sennheiser uses on these cans. It seems like if you stare at it long enough, it will develop scuffs/scratches. I've been babying my pair since i've received it...covering it with a high quality microfiber cloth every night, shampooing my hair every single time before I even use my headphones. And yet, i'm seeing more and more marks on the silver paint over time. All minor and obviously purely cosmetic, but still very annoying for someone with OCD who just dropped over $1,000 on a pair of headphones. I noticed a small paint imperfection on an edge a few weeks back, and it now looks like it's grown bigger (and quite noticeable from a few feet.) Grrr.

End rant.

Personally the hd800s have a look that resembles a cheap star wars lightsabre in a plastic package. Nothing in this world is made to hold up, dunno why you would cover it every night? Even the softest Microfiber cloths will put fine scarthes in over time no matter what anyone says. Dry is worse than wet. And as far as I can tell all MF cloths are now coarser than those from 5-6yrs ago. Nothing in this mass produced world is made to last long, its all mediocre finishes that easily get chipped. And I beat those expreme $$$ vintage headphones have a lousy thin clear finish on them, unlike a true piano finish.

May 29, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #18,785 of 28,989
There also seems genuine HD800 some which are made in Germany and some that are made in China. 

They all have proper identified serial numbers, that you can check with the main Sennheiser HQ and seem legitimately made, not some random knock off. I am quite confused by this. Anybody know about this discrepancy? 

May 29, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #18,787 of 28,989
Mine are years old and I do not treat them like they are delicate. No scratches so far.

May 29, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #18,788 of 28,989
I just received my portable Headstage Arrow 5P dac/amp. It's playing between my MB Air and HD-800. All settings are at "0" or Low for Frequency. The bass... Oh my...

To clarify, the Bass and Treble are set at "0" rather than "I" or "II". The Frequency is set at "L" rather than "M" or "H". For the Frequency, which setting would give the least bass impact?

May 29, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #18,790 of 28,989
  Mine are years old and I do not treat them like they are delicate. No scratches so far.

Yeah, I bought mine used and they were well taken care of and i have had them for a year, I always have them on my headphone stand when not in use, I never even lay them on my desk....they look practically brand new.

May 29, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #18,791 of 28,989
  Yeah, I bought mine used and they were well taken care of and i have had them for a year, I always have them on my headphone stand when not in use, I never even lay them on my desk....they look practically brand new.

I do the same in regards to keeping it on a headphone stand at all times. They're not exactly scratches...well there are a few very faint ones that only can be seen when inspected very closely. It's mostly the paint/finish which seems to be extremely cheap, which is something I'm pretty disappointed with when we're talking about one of the most expensive mass-produced headphones in the world. For those saying their year old pairs don't have any marks, maybe check very closely (under good lighting) along all the edges of the silver plastic. Most of the imperfections I've found are there, but again I have OCD and most people wouldn't ever notice them.

Personally the hd800s have a look that resembles a cheap star wars lightsabre in a plastic package. Nothing in this world is made to hold up, dunno why you would cover it every night? Even the softest Microfiber cloths will put fine scarthes in over time no matter what anyone says. Dry is worse than wet. And as far as I can tell all MF cloths are now coarser than those from 5-6yrs ago. Nothing in this mass produced world is made to last long, its all mediocre finishes that easily get chipped. And I beat those expreme $$$ vintage headphones have a lousy thin clear finish on them, unlike a true piano finish.

Don't really agree with this. Just as an example, the aluminum used on the unibody Macbook Pro's is very high quality. My 2009 MBP is in nearly perfect condition and I've tossed it around and have used it everywhere with no protection. I know it's not an apple-to-apples comparison (pun intended) since the HD800's are plastic. But regardless, Sennheiser could of still manufactured the headphones with a much higher quality finish/paint (e.g. Colorware custom finishes) with little increase to the cost. The retail price of $1499/$1599 USD is a significant mark-up compared to how much this headphone would cost to make (true for nearly all premium products.)

Also, I use a large microfiber cloth that's made out of material used to wipe eyeglass lenses...not the ones used to wipe cars that can be purchased in bulk for cheap. I seriously doubt simply hanging one over anything would scratch it. Even a plain 100% cotton towel shouldn't scratch most objects through simple contact, unless the product's extremely cheap. Also to address your question about why I do it, it's mostly to keep it from accumulating dust/dirt.

May 29, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #18,792 of 28,989

Of all the SS amps I've heard with the HD800 in that price range, my favorite is the single-ended, Class A, 2W into 32-Ohm NuForce HA-200.

That's why I'm selling it.  
tongue.gif

It's difficult to be your favourite... 
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #18,795 of 28,989

I do the same in regards to keeping it on a headphone stand at all times. They're not exactly scratches...well there are a few very faint ones that only can be seen when inspected very closely. It's mostly the paint/finish which seems to be extremely cheap, which is something I'm pretty disappointed with when we're talking about one of the most expensive mass-produced headphones in the world. For those saying their year old pairs don't have any marks, maybe check very closely (under good lighting) along all the edges of the silver plastic. Most of the imperfections I've found are there, but again I have OCD and most people wouldn't ever notice them.

Don't really agree with this. Just as an example, the aluminum used on the unibody Macbook Pro's is very high quality. My 2009 MBP is in nearly perfect condition and I've tossed it around and have used it everywhere with no protection. I know it's not an apple-to-apples comparison (pun intended) since the HD800's are plastic. But regardless, Sennheiser could of still manufactured the headphones with a much higher quality finish/paint (e.g. Colorware custom finishes) with little increase to the cost. The retail price of $1499/$1599 USD is a significant mark-up compared to how much this headphone would cost to make (true for nearly all premium products.)

Also, I use a large microfiber cloth that's made out of material used to wipe eyeglass lenses...not the ones used to wipe cars that can be purchased in bulk for cheap. I seriously doubt simply hanging one over anything would scratch it. Even a plain 100% cotton towel shouldn't scratch most objects through simple contact, unless the product's extremely cheap. Also to address your question about why I do it, it's mostly to keep it from accumulating dust/dirt.

At the end of the day getting a custom paint job with colorware would cost me alot more than what they typical sell for in my area. 

Curious, any one with automotive paint background/experience want to comment on the quality of colorware if you went through them? The online photos don't reveal the real detail. They do tend to look only a small step up from acrylic quality in some photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back