The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 27, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #18,766 of 28,992
  Thanks.
How much of the sound in %, is the DAC, and how much is the amp, with the HD800, would you say?
Thanks.
What i mean is, which one has more impact on SQ and which one is more important.
let's say DAC is 70%, and amp is 30% (for example)

Amp 70%, DAC 30%... But this varies on everyone's taste, These numbers are imagination numbers, because you asked, not real numbers
wink.gif
 There is not such a thing as a fixed % value for DAC and AMP.

Both the DAC and the AMP are important. Most of times amps change the sound more, or at least this is how it was in my experience.

But it is a matter of taste and expectation what is bad and what is good. There are people happy with hd800 driven from a fiio x5 alone, and people who use hd800 with 5000$+ amps and DACs. 

One thing for sure, hd800 is amazing, and sounds amazing.

But... on the other hand... a good dac can be had for around 100$-200$, and a good amp which is powerfull enough to drive them can be found for 200$-300$. there are options which have a great dac + a great amp in 300$-500$ price range.

A great portable option is ifi idsd micro, very powerful, clean and has a great DAC + great amp. 

There are a pleathora of other options though. 

May 28, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #18,767 of 28,992
Any suggestions for an amp around $300-500 that sounds very warm with the HD800? The HD800 sounds excellent at medium level volume, but sometimes I just want to crank it up, though the HD800 seems to sound way too crispy and sharp with the volume too high. 

Debating going back with the Valhalla 2 and do some tube rolling with some super warm tubes if I can't find anything else. I can't deny that the Valhalla 2 sounds amazing, probably better than any other amp I've used yet (to my ears at least). Vali is smoother, but it doesn't sound as good with the HD800 as it did with the HD700.

May 28, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #18,768 of 28,992
Any suggestions for an amp around $300-500 that sounds very warm with the HD800? The HD800 sounds excellent at medium level volume, but sometimes I just want to crank it up, though the HD800 seems to sound way too crispy and sharp with the volume too high. 

Debating going back with the Valhalla 2 and do some tube rolling with some super warm tubes if I can't find anything else. I can't deny that the Valhalla 2 sounds amazing, probably better than any other amp I've used yet (to my ears at least). Vali is smoother, but it doesn't sound as good with the HD800 as it did with the HD700.

I know this is over your budget but I tried the v100 Vioelectric. That's warm! Good options if that's what you are after.

So perhaps look for lake people amps that they are part of. Even second hand.

May 28, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #18,769 of 28,992
Pearljam.. 

Get a Superlux HA3D it one powerfull little amp that can power 3 headphones and runs on 2 AA batteries.

http://www.thomann.de/dk/superlux_ha3d.htm

http://headfonics.com/2011/11/superlux-ha-3d-headphone-amplifier-3-into-1-does-indeed-go/

May 28, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #18,770 of 28,992
For one who likes bright midrange synth, vocals & sharp sounds in electronic music, what is a ideal amp for 2K budget Tube or solid state? What are some examples?

Would you touch the eq in player or just keep flat?

When one talks of an tube amp sounding natural is this anygood?

thanks.

edit: forgot to add, want as much soundstage & avoid the sound its coming from in your head as possible.

May 28, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #18,771 of 28,992
For one who likes bright midrange synth, vocals & sharp sounds in electronic music, what is a ideal amp for 2K budget Tube or solid state? What are some examples?

Would you touch the eq in player or just keep flat?

When one talks of an tube amp sounding natural is this anygood?

thanks.

edit: forgot to add, want as much soundstage & avoid the sound its coming from in your head as possible.

From my limited experience the Burson soloist is great and that's why I have it. Pair it up with a similar serving dac. My irdac has punch and just a touch of warmth which may or may not suit you. As this amp is about 1k abd your budget is 2 in sure you could do better by spending more........

The hdva600/hdvd800 I found had great texture to its sound and brightness. IMHO must have balanced cables

Also heard the Taurus. The thing that stood out for me was how the music came out "as one". And by that I mean the soundstage was there with great imaging. It was extremely well balanced -that's what I mean as everything was as one.

May 28, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #18,772 of 28,992

The best way to fix the treble issues if it's bothersome for you is to mod it with the Anaxilus mod.  don"t use gear to fix what you dislike in a headphone. Trust me, That's a waste of time and money. 

May 28, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #18,773 of 28,992

For Electronics specifically, I'd go to Solid State.   the HE-9 I have on loan provides gobs of bass slam and extension , impressive soundstage for a Solid State.  for that Kind of budget, I'd personnaly like to try before any buy : Bryston , Ragnarok , Audio GD HE-9 or M9 .

Best tubes amp provide improvements in micro dynamics, timbres, soundstage, clarity.. It's IMO more useful for Acoustic music . I listen to a lot of Electronic Music and I always thought Solid State did the best job fiir that kind of music. EDM are often overly compressed and processed so a "natural" tone does not matter so much. YMMV.  

May 28, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #18,775 of 28,992

For Electronics specifically, I'd go to Solid State.   the HE-9 I have on loan provides gobs of bass slam and extension , impressive soundstage for a Solid State.  for that Kind of budget, I'd personnaly like to try before any buy : Bryston , Ragnarok , Audio GD HE-9 or M9 .

Best tubes amp provide improvements in micro dynamics, timbres, soundstage, clarity.. It's IMO more useful for Acoustic music . I listen to a lot of Electronic Music and I always thought Solid State did the best job fiir that kind of music. EDM are often overly compressed and processed so a "natural" tone does not matter so much. YMMV.  

Thanks for reply.

I listen late 90's trance mostly. Miles more fun & enjoying over modern stuff. Currently I have the audio-gd nfb10. Sounds great on HD600's when my ears have had a rest like a week. So maybe the HE-9 is the next step. 

May 28, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #18,776 of 28,992
  So maybe the HE-9 is the next step. 

I know it's a very serious amount of money but I really think you wouldn't be disappointed.

That been said, for that kind of music (90s trance for example) , I'd maybe choose another headphone than HD800.. I have a HE-6 currently on my desk and I'm seriously thinking about a purchase .. when energy is needed by the music, the HE-6 does wonders... HD800 is really really good for this music but the HE-6's Ortho subs,  bass slam and  forwardness in mids/high mids convey more fun factor.   

May 28, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #18,777 of 28,992

The best way to fix the treble issues if it's bothersome for you is to mod it with the Anaxilus mod.  don"t use gear to fix what you dislike in a headphone. Trust me, That's a waste of time and money. 

The Anax mod really works that well? I was under the impression it was very slight. Though I'll still likely do it, since it doesn't seem difficult. Might be better to try that before going nuts with tube rolling.

May 28, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #18,778 of 28,992

The Anax mod really works that well? I was under the impression it was very slight. Though I'll still likely do it, since it doesn't seem difficult. Might be better to try that before going nuts with tube rolling.

It"s more significant (and measurable) that any change of dac & amp for sure :p .  I tried once an anax modded HD800 and the treble peak is obviously tamed.  My own Stock HD800 seems to not bother me too much even from Solid State amps I owned or tried but IMO the anax mod anax allow to choose a wider range of amp and dac . The HD800 is less picky and once its treble issues are tamed, it's easier to work on its best qualities ( leading edge, speed, clarity , resolution) with the most transparent, resolving and fast amps and dacs. 

The main caveat with the HD800 is to try to tame it with the gear. In most case, that ends with 70% of what a HD800 is capable of.  it's easier and less pricey to get a better result with a HD6X0. 

I've personaly choosen to take an intermediate route with the DNA Stratus. I'm a one headphone guy and my main music genre is contemporary Jazz. the DNA home sound match well HD800 for this music. If I was a classical listener , I'd probably choose another option. ( EC 4x45 probably from what I read here or there from trustable people ) 

Hope that makes sense. 

May 28, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #18,780 of 28,992
The audio gd he-9 sounds like its in trouble, not enough reviews or anything. no usd? forget it. Does usb really reduce quality or is this only something Zen masters listening to pure audiophile recordings would hear?

Seems the Violectric hpa V220 would be the go. Not the colossal size of he-9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back