The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jun 4, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #18,826 of 28,989
I consider that Hd800 needs power, but from a 200$-300$ amp it can sound amazing. In fact, I would not buy a more expensive amp for hd800, simply because I can fiind happiness with hd800 and something cheap

I tend to agree with this, too much misinformation and overhyping in the audiophile world. I agree that some will be able to pick out and appreciate subtle changes in sound but for the vast majority of people it's all a placebo. I currently own a sound blaster x7 and the hd800 and I find the sound to be excellent. I will soon be purchasing either a m-stage hpa2 or a vali/Valhalla2. I haven't decided yet as I have a small feeling that whatever one I purchase will end up getting returned because the sound difference between my x7 and say a Valhalla 2 will not be worth the $400 more spent. So I try to order from Amazon exclusively for this possibility and the hpa2 is overpriced on Amazon, Valhalla 2 is out of stock and the vali is my only option.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #18,827 of 28,989
Guys. The best that I can wish to you and your wallets is to continue to be happy with what you've got for as long as possible. =) And perhaps even better stop reading these forums, and delete your account. By all means avoid opportunities to hear new equipment. 

Unfortunately with audio, we don't know what we don't know. And sometimes it's better.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #18,828 of 28,989
I tend to agree with this, too much misinformation and overhyping in the audiophile world. I agree that some will be able to pick out and appreciate subtle changes in sound but for the vast majority of people it's all a placebo. I currently own a sound blaster x7 and the hd800 and I find the sound to be excellent. I will soon be purchasing either a m-stage hpa2 or a vali/Valhalla2. I haven't decided yet as I have a small feeling that whatever one I purchase will end up getting returned because the sound difference between my x7 and say a Valhalla 2 will not be worth the $400 more spent. So I try to order from Amazon exclusively for this possibility and the hpa2 is overpriced on Amazon, Valhalla 2 is out of stock and the vali is my only option.

I had personally listened to hpa2. 

It is the main amp I would buy for hd800.

It is extremely clear, and sounds fine in all aspects.

I would love hd800 more from a hugo as I tested, and probably from other amps which are more expensive, but it all depends on how much cash you have to spend on a hobby.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #18,829 of 28,989
  Guys. The best that I can wish to you and your wallets is to continue to be happy with what you've got for as long as possible. =) Even better stop reading the forums and by all means avoid opportunities to hear new equipment. I am serious.

Unfortunately with audio, we don't know what we don't know. And sometimes it's better.

I would really also suggest to not go to showrooms and listen tot he most expensive thing they have there. This is the reason I am on this thread, and am trying to buy a hd800, and an amp for it..

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #18,830 of 28,989
Just take the first opportunity to listen a totl rig... then decide if your current rig is enough... I thought like you 2 years ago. Now I have a total DAC... and the stratus is ordered.

I also agree with you. It is because I listened to a extremely good rig that I am trying to buy more and better equipment. 

But I think that I would stop at a certain point where I am happy with the sound I get. 

For IEMs I stopped at ie800. 

For portable amps i stopped at Fiio e12a. though, it is the only one I heared in the lower tier prices, I must admit that it competes great with very expensive ones. 

For DACs I would stop at Hugo, even though I am just so happy with my fiio x5 too as a DAC. 

For headphones I would stop at hd800, or ultrasone sig dj.

Hm.. I am not the kind that would not stop at low. 

Also, when listening to a high end rig, it is a great ideea to use your own music, own encoded files. I made the mistake of testing rigs with songs that I did not know well, and they sounded better in that moment than they really sound.

Anyways, I hope that your current rigs will bring you happiness, I know how it is to yearn for a better SQ. (I have been using ie8 for quite a while, even after knowing how ie800 sounded)

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #18,831 of 28,989
I had personally listened to hpa2. 

It is the main amp I would buy for hd800.

It is extremely clear, and sounds fine in all aspects.

I would love hd800 more from a hugo as I tested, and probably from other amps which are more expensive, but it all depends on how much cash you have to spend on a hobby.

That amp and dac is 199.99 from massdrop, I ordered it then cancelled it as I just feel like I'm wasting 200 on an amp when I already have one. The worst thing is I need to get a shorter cable as the stock cable is so long it has to lay on the floor and I'm afraid my chair is gonna run it over one day. The problem is that every non tangle free (I hate stiff cables) 5-6 foot cable is so over priced it's unreal. I haven't found one under $250 yet. The markup on this stuff is unreal, I'd be suprised if it cost more then $50-60 to make the cable and because it's for the hd800 there is an over $200 markup.

Anyone know a 5-6 foot hd800 cable that is not stiff or tangle free as I want the cable to be flexible and able to be managed easily for less then $200?

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #18,832 of 28,989
Just take the first opportunity to listen a totl rig... then decide if your current rig is enough... I thought like you 2 years ago. Now I have a total DAC... and the stratus is ordered.

So...are you saying that he can't be happy unless he spends two or three grand?

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #18,833 of 28,989
Has anyone ordered from this website before? http://www.bestintheversecables.com/

Seems to have some decent prices on cables, no paypal though so I am a little wary.

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #18,834 of 28,989
So...are you saying that he can't be happy unless he spends two or three grand?

Nope. I just say you can't know if you're happy enough if you don't know if you miss something... or not.

If I didn't hear a sr009 or an abyss or a he-6 I wouldn't know I'm happy enough with the hd800.

All is in the "enough".

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #18,835 of 28,989
Nope. I just say you can't know if you're happy enough if you don't know if you miss something... or not.

If I didn't hear a sr009 or an abyss or a he-6 I wouldn't know I'm happy enough with the hd800.

All is in the "enough".

So...are you saying that I can't have a healthy relationship with my wife (who is just pretty) unless I have sex with a supermodel? 
tongue.gif

Jun 4, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #18,836 of 28,989
Basically in a logical way of thinking yes.

But human relationships, moral rules and headphones are different things in my mind. I didn't swear fidelity to my headphones and I didn't buy my wife on amazon...

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #18,837 of 28,989
Basically in a logical way of thinking yes.

But human relationships, moral rules and headphones are different things in my mind. I didn't swear fidelity to my headphones and I didn't buy my wife on amazon...

Ha!

This is a nice way to put it. 

So...are you saying that I can't have a healthy relationship with my wife (who is just pretty) unless I have sex with a supermodel? 
tongue.gif

I think that you got it the wrong way.

You use your ears with the headphones. 

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #18,838 of 28,989
Jun 4, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #18,839 of 28,989
  Nope. I had a HD650 and a few barely ok amps when I got the hd800. I would definitely take an hd800 with a mediocre amp over an HD650 and a great amp... Just to prove the point that YMMV...

Just to be clear, with many pairings I would agree with you.  But my comment, which you quoted, was specifically in reference to the crack, in answer to roger's question about that amp.  Hd650's sound particularly good with the mainline, to me, relative to how I perceive my hd800's through my crack.  These are combos I have spent hundreds of hours listening to, and I thought a comparative statement might be of use to some in the thread under the hypothetical that I had to sell off either my mainline or hd800s.  As indicated in my signature block, hd800's driven by the mainline are what I listen to every evening, and I want for nothing with the yggy as a source.  

I didn't make any global statement or slam on mid-priced amps.  In fact, if you go back in the thread, you will find I have previously commented that hd800's are plenty enjoyable right out of the HP jack on my marantz HTR, but I think most of us would agree that they do scale in a significant manner and sound particularly good with certain amps, if you have had the opportunity to sample a wide variety of what is out there.   

YMMV is a truism as to any audio gear, but if you haven't heard the mainline, you really aren't in a position to say "nope."  All the +1's and posts the piggy-backing on yours seem premised on a misreading of what I actually posted.  Reading comprehension seems to be a lost art in these parts.

Jun 4, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #18,840 of 28,989
BTW, was listening to Doc B's tape rig with HD800 driven by Mainline at THE Show. Absolutely sublime. Best headphone sound I heard Sunday. Obviously couldn't put on my own recordings but that's the sort of "Quit Head-Fi Forever" sound that incites envy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back