The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jun 4, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #18,841 of 28,989
Ha!

This is a nice way to put it. 
I think that you got it the wrong way.

You use your ears with the headphones. 

Reminds me of the story of the guy who walks in on his wife with another man. His head in her bosom (I'm trying to keep this clean-ish).

The husband says "what are you doing?" The man responds "I'm listening to music". So the husband tried to outsmart him and puts his head in her bosom too. The husband says "I can't hear a thing". The man replies "that's because you're not plugged in yet"

Jun 4, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #18,842 of 28,989
  BTW, was listening to Doc B's tape rig with HD800 driven by Mainline at THE Show. Absolutely sublime. Best headphone sound I heard Sunday. Obviously couldn't put on my own recordings but that's the sort of "Quit Head-Fi Forever" sound that incites envy.

Wish I could have attended and delighted you liked the mainline so much!  Must have been really fun to meet Doc and his better half in person, and I hear that front end tape rig is just godly.  Here's hoping I have a similar opportunity to give it a listen some day.      

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #18,843 of 28,989
Looking for some experienced views n the aurix amp with the hd800 for those here that gave it or have heard it.

I've seen a few headfiers describe it as an amp that hits the spot for them. But not a lot of reviews around.

Is it a vibrant / bright amp or a darker amp? I have read it described as laid back. How's the detail and soundstage?

I have recently heard the violectric v100 and Taurus and own the soloist if they make for a decent reference point.

I do like my soloist in that it is fairly punchy and vibrant with goid detail for the price and I don't like my amps on the darker side. If looking for an upgrade in the future is the Aurix worth considering?

Your experienced opinions would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Peter

Jun 5, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #18,844 of 28,989
  Has anyone ordered from this website before? http://www.bestintheversecables.com/

Seems to have some decent prices on cables, no paypal though so I am a little wary.

Best in the verse is very popular on the Reddit's r/headphones, you can find plenty of experiences (almost always positive) there.

If I were to get a new cable for my HD800's, it would very likely be from them (mostly because of price, I'm not a big cable audio person).

Jun 5, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #18,845 of 28,989
Hey guys, Has Sennheiser recently increased the price of hd800?
It has been expensive. Now, it's ...

Jun 5, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #18,847 of 28,989

Just to be clear, with many pairings I would agree with you.  But my comment, which you quoted, was specifically in reference to the crack, in answer to roger's question about that amp.  Hd650's sound particularly good with the mainline, to me, relative to how I perceive my hd800's through my crack.  These are combos I have spent hundreds of hours listening to, and I thought a comparative statement might be of use to some in the thread under the hypothetical that I had to sell off either my mainline or hd800s.  As indicated in my signature block, hd800's driven by the mainline are what I listen to every evening, and I want for nothing with the yggy as a source.  

I didn't make any global statement or slam on mid-priced amps.  In fact, if you go back in the thread, you will find I have previously commented that hd800's are plenty enjoyable right out of the HP jack on my marantz HTR, but I think most of us would agree that they do scale in a significant manner and sound particularly good with certain amps, if you have had the opportunity to sample a wide variety of what is out there.   

YMMV is a truism as to any audio gear, but if you haven't heard the mainline, you really aren't in a position to say "nope."  All the +1's and posts the piggy-backing on yours seem premised on a misreading of what I actually posted.  Reading comprehension seems to be a lost art in these parts.

Not only have I heard the mainline, but I didn't find that it changed the basic character of the hd650s nor of the hd800s. We just don't agree, that is not such a big deal. I would take the hd800s on a mediocre amp any day over a mainline crack with the hd650s. I like the hd650s, but, for example, they will never image nor have the transient response of the hd800s no matter what amp you pair them with. So, NOPE 
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #18,848 of 28,989
  Not only have I heard the mainline, but I didn't find that it changed the basic character of the hd650s nor of the hd800s. We just don't agree, that is not such a big deal. I would take the hd800s on a mediocre amp any day over a mainline crack with the hd650s. I like the hd650s, but, for example, they will never image nor have the transient response of the hd800s no matter what amp you pair them with. So, NOPE 
biggrin.gif

Hd650 have a much different signature man, it is hard to compare it to hd800. 

I think that it even targets a different market. Hd650 has a very smooth, relaxing presentation. It is more for a casual listener, where hd800 with it's comfort, and extreme detail are more for the serious listener. Both are very good porducts, that are un-beatable in my book.

One mistery for me is for who is targeted hd700, but that discussion is for another time on another thread I think, and myabe after I get to hear Hd700.

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #18,849 of 28,989
HD800 is the best headphone on the market, as a package.

1. Build quality(Hand built), reliability ,and 2 year warranty.
2.Sound , of course.
3.price( compared to other flaghips)

At it's price, among all other flagahips, it gives the best value for money, in my opinion.

Jun 5, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #18,850 of 28,989
HD800 is the best headphone on the market, as a package.

1. Build quality(Hand built), reliability ,and 2 year warranty.
2.Sound , of course.
3.price( compared to other flaghips)

At it's price, among all other flagahips, it gives the best value for money, in my opinion.

How do you like it with Rock/Metal (mostly progressive, Heavy)? With recent increase in their price (in my local store) I have doubt about them again 
confused.gif

Jun 5, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #18,851 of 28,989
biggrin.gif

My bad and well played!
beerchug.gif

Glad you have had a chance to hear the mainline with both of these phones even if we don't hear them quite the same way.  I agree with your comment that no gear will ever elevate hd650's to the hd800's level of technical prowess, particularly in terms of imaging and transient response, and I would add to that detail and resolution as well.  That said, I do find the hd650's incredibly enjoyable and immersive with certain high end amps, like the mainline and zana, such that my listening pleasure with these combos trumps my listening pleasure with the hd800's and crack (which I, in fact, like better than the vast majority mid-priced amps I've heard with the hd800's).  

Jun 5, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #18,852 of 28,989

My bad and well played!
beerchug.gif

Glad you have had a chance to hear the mainline with both of these phones even if we don't hear them quite the same way.  I agree with your comment that no gear will ever elevate hd650's to the hd800's level of technical prowess, particularly in terms of imaging and transient response, and I would add to that detail and resolution as well.  That said, I do find the hd650's incredibly enjoyable and immersive with certain high end amps, like the mainline and zana, such that my listening pleasure with these combos trumps my listening pleasure with the hd800's and crack (which I, in fact, like better than the vast majority mid-priced amps I've heard with the hd800's).  

+1 
beerchug.gif

Jun 5, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #18,853 of 28,989
Well that's kind of a hard question, because with some rock albums they don't sound that good, but i blame the recordings not the HD800.
With well recorded Rock and Metal( Led zeppelin remasters, some Radiohead, Pink Floyd ,Tool etc...) they sound AMAZING.
Yes the price increase sucks,sorry.
How do you like it with Rock/Metal (mostly progressive, Heavy)? With recent increase in their price (in my local store) I have doubt about them again :confused: .

Jun 6, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #18,854 of 28,989
Well that's kind of a hard question, because with some rock albums they don't sound that good, but i blame the recordings not the HD800.
With well recorded Rock and Metal( Led zeppelin remasters, some Radiohead, Pink Floyd ,Tool etc...) they sound AMAZING.
Yes the price increase sucks,sorry.

Thanks,
Have you listened to he560? Do you think that there is a difference in sound quality bewbetween them when I listen to rock/metal?
I'm buying them for most technical bands. Mostly progressive ones (dream theater, pink floyd, king crimson, tool, Symphony X, led zeppelin, Yes, ...) to heavy metal ones (black sabbath, Iron Maiden, deep purple, ...) and some thrash (Metallica, megadeth, ...)

Jun 6, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #18,855 of 28,989
Thanks,
Have you listened to he560? Do you think that there is a difference in sound quality bewbetween them when I listen to rock/metal?
I'm buying them for most technical bands. Mostly progressive ones (dream theater, pink floyd, king crimson, tool, Symphony X, led zeppelin, Yes, ...) to heavy metal ones (black sabbath, Iron Maiden, deep purple, ...) and some thrash (Metallica, megadeth, ...)

I have tried both of them at the same time at a local store. I was planning to get the he 560 due to impressive reviews, but after listening to hd 800... for me personally, he 560 is no where near hd 800. Hd 800 has much more detail, clarity, soundstage and tighter/punchy bass..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back