The NEW ATH-ES700..
Jul 10, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #661 of 1,098
http://www.amazon.com/audio-technica-EARSUIT-Portable-Headphones-ATH-ES700/dp/B009S334NK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373507536&sr=8-1&keywords=ath-es700

$141.22 + $13.75 shipping

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #662 of 1,098
Quote:
JVC destroys ATH in this area from my experience. Even lower level entry JVC iems can almost beat ATH flagships in terms of cable quality.

Yeah it's quite odd that my JVC FXD80 has one of the best cables ever, and my old CK90Pro had an awful papery cable that eventually failed at the strain relief. One is a cheaper consumer earphone, the other is a professional monitor.

Quote:
It is a good ~100$ phone, but no giant killer. No one is going to pick them over Sennheiser Amperior.

Well I would pick the ES700 over the Amperior because a) it's more comfortable b) it's far less expensive c) it's not discontinued haha. It's a bit extreme to say that the Amperior is so wildly successful given that Senneheiser is replacing it with the 70ohm driver found in the standard HD25 and getting rid of all the fancy iPhone controls and whatnot.

You could say that no one would pick the ES700 over the Momentum if they were both free. But even that is a little iffy because not everyone likes the thinner vocals on the Momentum. And I did wish the Momentum folded up :p

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #663 of 1,098
Quote:

What would I do with a total of 4 S400s? I've paid over 250$ for the ES700+WS55 pads, 3 23$ phones won't cut it...
Would trade it for T-PEOS H-200 or ATH-CKS1000
wink_face.gif

The looks of ES-700 are far ahead of its sound. I really tried to like this phone, and for a while I did - until HA-S400 suddenly turned into a completely different phone after burning it with this:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rnrj5g0mmbldj58/ZhYIByMYOE/White-Pink-Brown%20Noise%20%28For%20burn%20in%29.wav
Burning it with music for 200 hours didn't do much, but this noise really made a huge change.

ES700 is a decent phone, and if I would have paid 95$ for it (current price in Japan), I wouldn't be so disappointed in it.
It is a good ~100$ phone, but no giant killer. No one is going to pick them over Sennheiser Amperior.

ahhhhhhh, it ALL makes sense now. Dat overpaid bitterness. I sense it now.....
tongue.gif

I heard the Senni HD25s and i can honestly say even my S500s can hang with them, so these ES700s can no doubt as well. Not sure about them amperiors though. They MIGHT sound much more refined than the DH25 but.....

You know you want all them S400s don't lie to yourself, no need to repressed it meng.
wink.gif

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #664 of 1,098
I prefer the sq of the JVC HA-S500 over my HD25-1 II,... The hd25-1 II has harsher, irritating highs. The HA-S500 is smoov!!!

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #665 of 1,098
Quote:

I only have the lambskin leather pads from the ESW9 to try I'm afraid!

I did some more listening on the leather pads and I kind of like the sound more, but they are basically half the price of the ES700 now. They are more comfortable but not leagues more comfortable.

Maybe the headband on my pair just needs to be more worn in. My ES10 is now very very comfortable with the leather pads and given their earcup size I would expect it to stay more comfortable than the ES700 (with leather pads).

Did you buy the WS55 pads separately?

Before I did this review I was floated the option of maybe buying the review unit after the review, and I'm really considering this...

Well I owned a pair of WS55 actually, I ended up trying out them pads as the WS55 and the ES700 both had around the same cup size and not only did they fit the ES700 perfectly but the comfort is unbelievable.. Thicker plushier even gives a bit more better balance to the sound.  I couldn't go back to the thin shallow stock pads. You can buy the WS55 pads from AT for real cheap. If you contact AT parts they will send a pair to you for not much. I think guys were ordering them for around $10 us shipped. I ended up paying a premium for my extra WS55 pads I bought off of ebay. Oh well I don't regret it though as it was the only problem for me was the comfort. The WS55 fixed all that and is permanently on the ES700. I am half way tempted to buy them lamb skin pads but are kinda spendy.

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #666 of 1,098

Not true. I would pick it over the amperior because i found the amperior to be extremely sibilant. Every "s" were like icepicks in my brain. It made my sr225i's sound somewhat warm in the treble. I also found the midrange on the amperiors to be a little recessed with a very direct soundstage. Now i don't have my es-700's anymore since i got my a900x's but i remember i liked them a lot better than the amperiors. :)

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #667 of 1,098
Quote:
Not true. I would pick it over the amperior because i found the amperior to be extremely sibilant. Every "s" were like icepicks in my brain. It made my sr225i's sound somewhat warm in the treble. I also found the midrange on the amperiors to be a little recessed with a very direct soundstage. Now i don't have my es-700's anymore since i got my a900x's but i remember i liked them a lot better than the amperiors.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ya' mon, thanks for these ES700.
beerchug.gif

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #668 of 1,098
Ya' mon, thanks for these ES700. :beerchug:

No problem man! Glad your enjoying them. I do miss them a little but i love my a900x! :atsmile:

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #670 of 1,098
Quote:
No problem man! Glad your enjoying them. I do miss them a little but i love my a900x!
atsmile.gif

Hmmm, the nutman told me to get hose A900Xs as well cuz they have great bass and big soundstage. But i think i need a open back set more. Glad to hear you're enjoying those meng.

Quote:
Thanks SF!!

^ LoL what did i do now??? 

j/k no problem. Glad my impressions were worth reading. : )

Jul 11, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #671 of 1,098
Hmmm, the nutman told me to get hose A900Xs as well cuz they have great bass and big soundstage. But i think i need a open back set more. Glad to hear you're enjoying those meng.

Yea your fiio e17+a900x=eargasm! :wink:

Not trying to hijack the thread though. The es700s were probably the most fun sounding pair of headphones I've owned!

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #672 of 1,098
hope you do a comparo between es700 and ws99 in this thread. I gave both a listen and decided to go es700. looking forward to your opinion.

Consider the ws99 like chocolate,
And its brother, the es10 like vanila.. Flavors coresponding to their signatures.
Now consider the es700 like a sparkler shooting off rainbows of light .
The mids are more lively and majical than both those others,
Yet it is a very close & intimate presentation while having soundstage presence and also notably, a sound field not as coming from the headphones but outside of it.

... HA-S400 suddenly turned into a completely different phone after burning it with this:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rnrj5g0mmbldj58/ZhYIByMYOE/White-Pink-Brown%20Noise%20%28For%20burn%20in%29.wav
Burning it with music for 200 hours didn't do much, but this noise really made a huge change.

No one is going to pick them over Sennheiser Amperior.
haha if the Amperior wasn't so hot in trebles then its colored presentation would be fun.
The es700 is sonically an easy pick over the Amperiors I owned.
Did you also burn in the es700 with that noise file?
Last resort I would try modding them..
You pretty much guaranteed a new sonic experience then.

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #673 of 1,098
Quote:
Consider the ws99 like chocolate,
And its brother, the es10 like vanila.. Flavors coresponding to their signatures.
Now consider the es700 like a sparkler shooting off rainbows of light .
The mids are more lively and majical than both those others,
Yet it is a very close & intimate presentation while having soundstage presence and also notably, a sound field not as coming from the headphones but outside of it.

Hype on my friend! Btw, which pads are you using?

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #674 of 1,098
Quote:
The es700 is sonically an easy pick over the Amperiors I owned.
Did you also burn in the es700 with that noise file?
Last resort I would try modding them..
You pretty much guaranteed a new sonic experience then.

Yes, it did burn it with the same file for 300 hours - no improvement.

Jul 11, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #675 of 1,098

Hype on my friend! Btw, which pads are you using?

Haha!
forgot to say I am using the esw9 lambskin pads and that the sparkler description was also partially due to me modding them but even stock form, the heart of the lively mids remains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back