The NEW ATH-ES700..
Jul 10, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #646 of 1,098
@Sfwalcer... excellent impressions. You know my toast.

Jul 10, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #648 of 1,098
Quote:
.... JVC S400: These are mid-centric cans no doubt about it. Their lows and highs are adequate but is nothing to write home about. Others have reported with lots of burn-in the highs will really open up, but for me they are still lacking the extension i get from the S500s. The star of the show on these is their lovely mids, which almost make the S500s feel almost a bit lacking.  Due to the mid focused nature of the S400s, they are an easier/ relaxing listen and many have described as more "musical" when compared to the S500s. Overall i would say the S500s is the more "balanced" headphone out of the two.

ATH ES700: Like the JVC S400s these are mid-centric monsters. The mids on these are at least one tier above that of the S400s. Despite the mid-centric nature of these ES700s, the lows and highs are much more forward than the S400s. I would even say they are almost like a mix of the best qualities of the S500 and S400s all fused into one but with even more refinement added on top. With the stock pads the bass quantity is slightly less than the S500s, but quality is better, yet with the WS55 pads the bass quantity is on par if not more than the S500s.  Therefore the ES700s is easy on the ears sonically and is relaxing to listen to, yet is also extremely engaging due to their refined bass and treble quantity and quality. The soundstage is also much bigger and more spacious on the ES700s compared to the JVCs.

I am just not hearing these mids that are "at least one tier above that of the S400s".
IMO SQ-wise, S400 with AKG pads beats ES-700 with WS55 pads.
The HM5 pads have a much better effect on S400 than on ES-700 too.
ES700 are gorgeous, they are the ones you'd want to be seen in - but S400 are the ones to listen to.
Even if it takes hundreds of hours to burn them in
smile.gif

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #649 of 1,098
Quote:

I am just not hearing these mids that are "at least one tier above that of the S400s".
ES700 are gorgeous, they are the ones you'd want to be seen in - but S400 are the ones to listen to.
smile.gif

Go to your corner right now Ben! Just kidding... interesting...

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #651 of 1,098
Thanks for the comments guys!

Haha. I sometimes feel funny since almost every product I recommend is Japanese.

Quote:

Could someone explain this burnt toast thing to me? lol

Quote:
Might be a silly question, but is the ES7 different from the ES700 and if it is, how so?

Quote:
Thanks glad that was helpful.

I currently have both and they are very similar in sound and presentation. With the stock pads the ATH ES700s sound like a total upgrade to the ES7s in the entire sonic spectrum. Although it seems that the treble is more smooth and better fine tuned on the ES700s cuz you hear less Ssss and Zzzz pronunciation on the ES700s than the ES7s. It's not that ES7s is bright/ harsh or sibilant or anything like that but the Ssss and Zzzz are just slightly more overt. With the WS55 pads these ES700 are a even more significant and total upgrade to the ES7s, so if you like the sound of the ES7s. these ES700s are a no brainer. The stock pads seems to be holding back these ES700s not just in comfort but sound as well, cuz the WS55 pads unleashes their full potential for me. You get better, deeper sub/ mid bass extension, bigger staging so the entire sound is less confined and more spacious.

These are awesome impressions. I never owned the ES7 but now that you mentioned it I think I never bought a pair because it was sibilant at times. I don't really have an issue with that and the ES700.

To add some detail, there are some physical changes from the ES7 to the ES700:
- Thicker headband
- Stainless steel cups vs aluminium
- New driver
- Made in Japan 

Quote:
Thanks Lachlan I put that on the OP.. If you guys are curious about these. They are completely worth the price. These have the best sound to money ratio I have heard from AT yet. Astounding sound for the price..

Thanks to sf for your comparo. Everyone is making the front page today.. Keep them impressions rolling.

Hey thanks Dsnuts!

It's kind of hard not completely falling in love with everything AT puts out eh? I only wish they would improve some elements of their design to match industry trends. (Single entry, detachable cables, phone remotes, etc)

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #652 of 1,098
Jul 10, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #653 of 1,098
Quote:
Could someone explain this burnt toast thing to me? lol

Toast = well done.

We try to resist THINGS like the ES700`s. But we read stuff like your review, and resistance becomes futile. It is at the point of being pushed over the edge when "We're toast". We're done, and the "ordered" button is clicked!

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #654 of 1,098
Have you tried using some other pads on the ES700 a-recording?. I know the lamb skin pads fit them but I am completely happy with using the WS55 pads. So much more comfy. Can listen to them for hours with no ear strain. I had to take the thin pads off of these on the 2nd day of using them..But I ain't complaining for what these cost. Getting a better set of pads is not a big deal.

Aha Wayne just couldn't take it any more. He has to hear..I think you'll be happy you did. You don't want to miss out on this AT sound..

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #655 of 1,098
Quote:
Have you tried using some other pads on the ES700 a-recording?. I know the lamb skin pads fit them but I am completely happy with using the WS55 pads. So much more comfy. Can listen to them for hours with no ear strain. I had to take the thin pads off of these on the 2nd day of using them..But I ain't complaining for what these cost. Getting a better set of pads is not a big deal.

Aha Wayne just couldn't take it any more. He has to hear..I think you'll be happy you did. You don't want to miss out on this AT sound..

I only have the lambskin leather pads from the ESW9 to try I'm afraid!

I did some more listening on the leather pads and I kind of like the sound more, but they are basically half the price of the ES700 now. They are more comfortable but not leagues more comfortable.

Maybe the headband on my pair just needs to be more worn in. My ES10 is now very very comfortable with the leather pads and given their earcup size I would expect it to stay more comfortable than the ES700 (with leather pads).

Did you buy the WS55 pads separately?

Before I did this review I was floated the option of maybe buying the review unit after the review, and I'm really considering this...

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #656 of 1,098
Quote:

No, I am not toast yet. But the toaster elements are red hot and it is getting toasty in here!

Jul 10, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #657 of 1,098
Quote:
@Sfwalcer... excellent impressions. You know my toast.

^ I know how you like your toast. Burnt to a crisp soon to be just like you. HE HE HE

Quote:

smile.gif

I have a proposition for you, i'll buy you two brand new sets of S400s and trade you for that used set of lowly ES700s with those WS55 pads. DEAL??? In fact i can even do 3 new sets. C'mon meng you know you want more of those godly S400s.
happy_face1.gif
DEAD SERIOUS.

Quote:
S400's don't compare to the ES700's. That's madness.

^
beerchug.gif
, i know everyone hears differently and have different preferences but............
... i love my S500s to death but they are what they are and it is what it is.

Quote:
These are awesome impressions. I never owned the ES7 but now that you mentioned it I think I never bought a pair because it was sibilant at times. I don't really have an issue with that and the ES700.

To add some detail, there are some physical changes from the ES7 to the ES700:
- Thicker headband
- Stainless steel cups vs aluminium
- New driver
- Made in Japan 

Hey thanks Dsnuts!

It's kind of hard not completely falling in love with everything AT puts out eh? I only wish they would improve some elements of their design to match industry trends. (Single entry, detachable cables, phone remotes, etc)

haha i think we can trust you more about sibilance and harshness in the treble since you seem to be very sensitive to that kinda stuff, much more so than the nutman that's for sure.
tongue.gif

And in that ATH CKN70 video review of yours you ripped on them pretty hard due to this issue, just too bad you didn't really give them a chance with burn-in. I know you probably don't believe in that kinda stuff but i think you would have liked them a lot more if you did some serious burn-in on them. They do use the new carbon nanotube tech in those drivers, and as many have experienced with JVCs CNT gears it takes a good ol' fashion beat down so...............

Anywho just wanted to get that off my chest. Great work on them reviews videos, keep em' coming!!!
beerchug.gif

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #658 of 1,098
Quote:
haha i think we can trust you more about sibilance and harshness in the treble since you seem to be very sensitive to that kinda stuff, much more so than the nutman that's for sure.
tongue.gif

And in that ATH CKN70 video review of yours you ripped on them pretty hard due to this issue, just too bad you didn't really give them a chance with burn-in. I know you probably don't believe in that kinda stuff but i think you would have liked them a lot more if you did some serious burn-in on them. They do use the new carbon nanotube tech in those drivers, and as many have experienced with JVCs CNT gears it takes a good ol' fashion beat down so...............

Anywho just wanted to get that off my chest. Great work on them reviews videos, keep em' coming!!!
beerchug.gif

Haha thank you for your very reasonable comments :3

It's weird about sibilance. For instance everyone told me I would hate the DT880 and although they are indeed super peaked in the highs, I actually don't mind them because they still sound clear. I just avoid certain tracks. It think sibilance tends to be a lot worse for in-ears. I especially hate sibilance when it also presents itself as grain...

The thing is that even if the CKN70 sound did tame itself or I found the perfect tips for them, I still wouldn't have kept it because the microphonics are such a huge issue. AT tends to choose bad materials for its cables I find. I tend to place a lot of stock in ergonomics and the CKN70 just made me sad. :[

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #659 of 1,098
Quote:

Haha thank you for your very reasonable comments :3

It's weird about sibilance. For instance everyone told me I would hate the DT880 and although they are indeed super peaked in the highs, I actually don't mind them because they still sound clear. I just avoid certain tracks. It think sibilance tends to be a lot worse for in-ears. I especially hate sibilance when it also presents itself as grain...

The thing is that even if the CKN70 sound did tame itself or I found the perfect tips for them, I still wouldn't have kept it because the microphonics are such a huge issue. AT tends to choose bad materials for its cables I find. I tend to place a lot of stock in ergonomics and the CKN70 just made me sad. :[

Yeppp, totally agreed, ATH can't make a decent cable if their life depended on it, just j/k but this seems to be more true than not most of the times. The cable of the CKN70 is indeed horrid, same goes for the cable on their new CKS77X, it's rubbery as hell and it's pretty microphonic which makes it feel so damn cheap. I was even disappointed with the cable of their flagship CKS1000s, it's less rubbery and microphonic than the 77Xs but it just doesn't feel premium whatsoever. JVC destroys ATH in this area from my experience. Even lower level entry JVC iems can almost beat ATH flagships in terms of cable quality.

/rant

On that note, the cable of these ES700s are crazy nice, it has a soft and smooth/ slightly rubbery feel to them with just the right amount of thickness. It feels more premium than the WS99 cable to me. Anywho enough of this cable talk.  Carry on peps!

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #660 of 1,098
Quote:
I have a proposition for you, i'll buy you two brand new sets of S400s and trade you for that used set of lowly ES700s with those WS55 pads. DEAL??? In fact i can even do 3 new sets. C'mon meng you know you want more of those godly S400s.
happy_face1.gif
DEAD SERIOUS.  
^

What would I do with a total of 4 S400s? I've paid over 250$ for the ES700+WS55 pads, 3 23$ phones won't cut it...
Would trade it for T-PEOS H-200 or ATH-CKS1000
wink_face.gif

The looks of ES-700 are far ahead of its sound. I really tried to like this phone, and for a while I did - until HA-S400 suddenly turned into a completely different phone after burning it with this:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rnrj5g0mmbldj58/ZhYIByMYOE/White-Pink-Brown%20Noise%20%28For%20burn%20in%29.wav
Burning it with music for 200 hours didn't do much, but this noise really made a huge change.

ES700 is a decent phone, and if I would have paid 95$ for it (current price in Japan), I wouldn't be so disappointed in it.
It is a good ~100$ phone, but no giant killer. No one is going to pick them over Sennheiser Amperior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back