"The Lab"
Sep 30, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #18,723 of 20,136
So, I gotta ask… what's the deal with balanced iem/headphones anyways? Isn't it really that each driver has its own ground rather than summing them like a trs does. From what I remember from stereo components that technically isn't balanced, just the same way standard speakers are wired.
Nit picking aside, does it really improve the sound?

Sep 30, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #18,725 of 20,136
  So, I gotta ask… what's the deal with balanced iem/headphones anyways? Isn't it really that each driver has its own ground rather than summing them like a trs does. From what I remember from stereo components that technically isn't balanced, just the same way standard speakers are wired.
Nit picking aside, does it really improve the sound?

Besides that there are no huge differences to be expected between modern devices anyway when they are compared with correct volume matching (as long as things like the output impedance, load stability, frequency response, stereo crosstalk and distortion are on a good level), a Balanced connection will mainly give you a higher power output. A lot of the described differences that people describe come from the Balanced output being louder, and understanding how our hearing works (see Equal-Loudness Contour), the higher volume will usually be perceived as being superior.
But in theory, a Balanced connection could indeed offer better specs (THD, SNR, Dynamic Range, Crosstalk, sometimes Output Impedance). But in the end, it all comes down to the implementation. Saying that a Balanced output is automatically better than a single-ended one would be foolish. In the case of the Luxury & Precision L3, I would (volume-matched as closely as possible) indeed say that the TRRS output is a little superior to the single-ended - but then again, I also wouldn't say its Balanced output is better than the DX90's or Plenue D's output (well, with the exception that the Cowon doesn't have the best/cleanest spatial reproduction to my ears, but as mentioned earlier, there is no "night and day difference").

Sep 30, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #18,726 of 20,136
Thanks for the suggestions guys but I'd rather buy something already finished although it seems pretty difficult without spending a great deal more than I'm interested in.

For some reason I think this should be right up the alley for zhibli06, any plans for balanced cables for separate sale Lee?

Oct 1, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #18,728 of 20,136
So labsters earlier I had posted a picture showing a face-off between the Fostex TH-X00 & Beyerdynamic DT150. Unfortunately the Fostex didn't make the cut and the victor of that round is the DT150!
However we now have two new challengers!

Audioquest Nighthawks (@waynes world you finally got me curious enough to check em out) vs V-moda Crossfade Wireless

Who will win? Who will leave? Who will empty my wallet?

Stay tuned to find out!

Oct 1, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #18,729 of 20,136
I know this thread rips through new products, which is awesome, but sometimes I like to "rediscover" some of my old gear.

I pulled my Sony Walkman F806. I reset the device and reloaded tracks. It's not the most responsive UI, but damn this thing is still a great little portable! Very pocket friendly, works great for streaming music, and rocks with IEMs. The EQ is very simple and effective, and there are also some unique sound improvement features on the device.

I'm glad I pulled this thing out of the drawer and took it for a spin.

I owned the F806 Walkman and enjoyed it very much with my Rhapsodio RDB Mini hybrid, well rounded device. If you liked it check out the ZX1 hanging around cheap(ish) these days. I picked one up recently and it brings back F806 memories with extra goodness.

Oct 1, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #18,730 of 20,136
I just got word that I'll be getting the new Thinksound lineup. Anyone have specific questions for me to answer once I get them?

-Thinksound On2
-Thinksound Rain3
-Thinksound MS02

Oct 1, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #18,731 of 20,136
I owned the F806 Walkman and enjoyed it very much with my Rhapsodio RDB Mini hybrid, well rounded device. If you liked it check out the ZX1 hanging around cheap(ish) these days. I picked one up recently and it brings back F806 memories with extra goodness.

Hows the sound quality on the ZX1?

I just got word that I'll be getting the new Thinksound lineup. Anyone have specific questions for me to answer once I get them?

-Thinksound On2
-Thinksound Rain3
-Thinksound MS02

Congrats! Wouldnt mind seeing a comparison of the Rain 3 against the likes of Shozy Zero or other iem woodies.

Oct 1, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #18,732 of 20,136

I find it to sound a little cold or bright around the mids but with that common Sony bass performance, quite tight well-rounded bass and it holds a common hint of Sony's house sound. Depending on the IEM used I've heard the ZX1 sound a little brittle and lose some refinement at higher volumes. Or when used with my 1Plus2.2 I prefer it over the AK300 in many areas. Its a synergy thing I'm finding and with my 1Plus2.2 I was pretty amazeballs what I heard.

But remember, its a Walkman and will sound like a portable player at its roots.

Oct 1, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #18,733 of 20,136

I find it to sound a little cold or bright around the mids but with that common Sony bass performance, quite tight well-rounded bass and it holds a common hint of Sony's house sound. Depending on the IEM used I've heard the ZX1 sound a little brittle and lose some refinement at higher volumes. Or when used with my 1Plus2.2 I prefer it over the AK300 in many areas. Its a synergy thing I'm finding and with my 1Plus2.2 I was pretty amazeballs what I heard.

But remember, its a Walkman and will sound like a portable player at its roots.

I am surprised to read that it sounds bright considering the tuning of the Z5 and Z7. Sounds like it holds up well against the big boys for regular use. 

Yeah I am all about that portable player life now, loving the convenience :)

Oct 1, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #18,734 of 20,136

I am surprised to read that it sounds bright considering the tuning of the Z5 and Z7. Sounds like it holds up well against the big boys for regular use. 

Yeah I am all about that portable player life now, loving the convenience :)

I was told the newer ZX2 leans on the warmer side. 

Oct 1, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #18,735 of 20,136

Congrats! Wouldnt mind seeing a comparison of the Rain 3 against the likes of Shozy Zero or other iem woodies.

Sure. I have the Zero and the Rain2 back at home, so if I get a chance I'll pick them up to do some A/B testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back