"The Lab"
Sep 27, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #18,706 of 20,136
1*KW4k7vK9QxvFrmHsm0kcPw.jpeg
T20 review is up!​

http://www.head-fi.org/products/rha-t20/reviews/16963

Sep 27, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #18,707 of 20,136

They sure do! The stock pads seem alright, but they're very stiff ootb. Wanted to try them out with AKG's pads which are infinitely softer and more cushy. They seem to tame the treble and bit and boost bass vs. the stock pads, in addition to being way more comfortable. Still early impressions though. Only had the HE-350 for a couple hours, haha. I swapped back to the stock pads and will let 'em burn for a while. Gotta give the stock pads a chance.

If they're memory foam then they should soften up after a week or two in my experience. Any idea if HFM's own focus pads will fit on those?

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #18,708 of 20,136
  If they're memory foam then they should soften up after a week or two in my experience. Any idea if HFM's own focus pads will fit on those?

99% sure they're not memory foam. Just your average stiff foam within velour. They're not horrible by any means, unlike similar pads that were on my old AKG K512 mkii. The FocusPads are supposed to be compatible with all HE series headphones, so they should work with the HE-350 in theory.

Sep 28, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #18,709 of 20,136
Sep 28, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #18,710 of 20,136
I know this thread rips through new products, which is awesome, but sometimes I like to "rediscover" some of my old gear.

I pulled my Sony Walkman F806. I reset the device and reloaded tracks. It's not the most responsive UI, but damn this thing is still a great little portable! Very pocket friendly, works great for streaming music, and rocks with IEMs. The EQ is very simple and effective, and there are also some unique sound improvement features on the device.

I'm glad I pulled this thing out of the drawer and took it for a spin.

Sep 29, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #18,711 of 20,136
I recall that a few labsters initially toured/reviewed the FiiO X7 when only the AM1 was available. Oh boy did the AM1 hold back the X7 big time! They sound loads better with the new modules (AM3 specifically).

A big thank you to FiiO for allowing me to participate in the tour and try out the amp modules. I am so glad I signed up because it has really changed my opinion of the X7 and has really invigorated my love for the DAP. Here are some brief impressions after trying them all out.

Brief Initial Impressions
 ​
AM2 Amplifier Module 
  1. Warmer and Somewhat Darker sound
  2. Not as detailed, smoother sounding 
  3. Treble feels less extended, not as airy or neutral sounding (which affects the soundstage a bit)
  4. Thicker midrange that is also quite lush, treble takes a bit of a back seat
  5. Stronger mid bass - almost an L shaped presentation, bass has more body and definition and not bloomy 
  6. Perfect pairing for Brighter gears
  7. Not an improvement on AM1 but rather a different flavour

AM3 Amplifier Module (SE , Balanced to be tested later) aka what the AM1 should have been 
deadhorse.gif

1. Linear and more detailed with beautifully extended treble 
  2. Holographic and large soundstage that also sounds effortless and natural  - thanks in part to how jaw droppingly good the treble is
  3. More detailed and musical at the same time, everything sounds more alive and dynamic (not to be confused with forward treble)
  4. Detailed and engaging midrange that is also thick with detail and emotion and ambience - perfectly balanced with the rest of the range
  5. Tighter bass with improved resolution and texture (really noticeable with wind instrument pieces and standing basses)
  6. The entire frequency range is immaculately balanced and if you could have only one module IMO this is the one to get. 
  7. Sounds great with ALL gears and all genres; it sounds so good that I really had to force myself to take off the AM3 to try the others and after testing the others thoroughly I promptly went back to listening to the AM3
  8. An improvement over the AM1 in every possible way except battery life
  9. I havent had a chance to test out the balanced output yet

​
AM5 Amplifier Module aka having a car battery in your pocket
  1. Most powerful of the bunch, quite a bit of driving power even on low volume, relatively speaking 
  2. Slight warmer sounding than AM1 but not as warm sounding as the AM2 - strikes a fine balance
  3. Retains the detailed and dynamic sound signature of the AM1 while smoothing out the treble a smidge
  4. Still sounding detailed and energetic (just not as energetic as AM1), everything sounds more alive and dynamic 
  5. Higher resolution than Am1 - so better separation layering and positioning 
  6. Treble feels a tad softer but still beautifully detailed and sparkly - well done imo
  7. Unlike the AM2, the AM5 soundstage doesn't take a hit compared to the AM1, the soundstage is once again holographic and large while one again sounding effortless and natural 
  8. Detailed and engaging midrange thick with detail, emotion and ambience (a more lush AM3)
  9. Bass has more quality and quantity - bass is more forward and separated from the mix - easier to delineate
  10. Bass sounds more detailed with greater impact and slam - VERY tastefully done that doesn't ruin tonal balance
  11. Again sounds great with ALL gears and all genres - makes my HD600 sing!
  12. This module easily powered my HD600 while I worked around the house the last few evenings - 'nuff said 
    eek.gif
  13. In summary the AM5 module has all the things that made the AM3 special (just not as airy sounding) but with better bass, a sweeter midrange and more power 
 ​
These impressions are all based on comparisons against the AM1 only unless otherwise stated

I am legitimately blown away how much better the X7 sounds better with the other amp modules as compared with the AM1. While I have always enjoyed using my X7, I never really loved it, that is until I listened with the AM3. The AM3 SE output is what the AM1 should have been, something truly special that has me staying up late nights listening. 

In fact I have purchased more music over the last few days than I have over the last few years (I am mainly a Spotify user) to listen with the X7 + AM3 combo. Yah, its that good. The X7 is officially a TOTL DAP in my eyes and for all the people who has only heard the X7 + AM1 combo, PLEASE do yourselves a favour and give it another try with either the AM3 or AM5 (or even AM2 if you found the AM1 too lean).

If anyone was curious, my preferred set ups at the moment:
  1. FiiO X7 + AM3 (SE Output) ==> Sennheiser HD380 - this combo has me losing a lot of sleep but man does it sound so good!  
  2. FiiO X7 + AM5 ==> Sennheiser HD600 & Beyerdynamic DT150 (Still a great sounding pair, best for when I am sitting down working)

If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to ask, I will try my best to answer them.

Here are some pictures that I stole borrowed from the FiiO site that explain the modules in detail

Happy listening!  
beerchug.gif

Sep 30, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #18,713 of 20,136
Hey guys my AK Audio Dolphin 6BA review is :)  http://www.head-fi.org/products/super-dolphin-6ba/reviews/16980

There is also an official thread if anyone wants to check it out! http://www.head-fi.org/t/820721/the-super-dolphin-6ba-not-just-an-aquatic-mammal 

Sep 30, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #18,714 of 20,136
Anyone know of some balanced cables with MMCX and/or two pin connectors cheaper than $30?

I want something else that FiiO since their balanced MMCX cable is the worst iem cable I've ever come across... .

Sep 30, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #18,715 of 20,136
Anyone know of some balanced cables with MMCX and/or two pin connectors cheaper than $30?

I want something else that FiiO since their balanced MMCX cable is the worst iem cable I've ever come across... .
the cheapest balanced cable I can think of is the Fidue 2.5mm cable but its proprietary unless you are able to slice the small piece away.

Sep 30, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #18,716 of 20,136

I couldn't possibly think that this could be misunderstood but since it was let me rephrase so that everyone understands :

I'm looking for a balanced cable that has a standard MMCX connector to fit IEM's like the Shure SE215 and the like. With two pin connectors I mean a standard two pin connector, not any proprietary solution that fit one brand only.

I would prefer a 3.5mm termination but 2.5mm is also OK. I would also like a cable that I don't have to rebuild, cut things off from or alter in any other way to be able to use it.

With "cheaper than $30" I mean that I'd like for it to cost less than 30 USD (that's American dollars). By this I don't mean $59 or $31 but maximum 30 American dollars.

So, any suggestions?

Sep 30, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #18,718 of 20,136
@peter123

[COLOR=111111]FiiO RC-SE1 and FiiO RC-UE2B.[/COLOR] 

LOL! Like I said on my original post no FiiO cables please. They're super stiff to the point that they're almost unusable (at least for me) :wink:

Sep 30, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #18,719 of 20,136
Oops, sorry. I missed that part.

I heard the same of their IEM cables by the way, and that the long-term quality isn't the best. FiiO's interconnection cables are good though (I've got a couple of them myself).

The cheapest solution would be to find an inexpensive quad-strand cable and to replace the TRS plug with a TRRS one (only very basic soldering skills required).

Sep 30, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #18,720 of 20,136
I couldn't possibly think that this could be misunderstood but since it was let me rephrase so that everyone understands :

I'm looking for a balanced cable that has a standard MMCX connector to fit IEM's like the Shure SE215 and the like. With two pin connectors I mean a standard two pin connector, not any proprietary solution that fit one brand only.

I would prefer a 3.5mm termination but 2.5mm is also OK. I would also like a cable that I don't have to rebuild, cut things off from or alter in any other way to be able to use it.

With "cheaper than $30" I mean that I'd like for it to cost less than 30 USD (that's American dollars). By this I don't mean $59 or $31 but maximum 30 American dollars.

So, any suggestions?

by 3.5mm referring to hifiman or normal single ended? can recommend some to u if normal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back