The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Nov 21, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #3,196 of 8,352
yea, they shine with electronic and trance music.
Still in love with this babys after so many months, just like the first day.

Awesome news!!

I guess I will get some as soon as my Colorfly C3 is sold. :D

My plan is to use the S500 on the go, and MDR-V55 at home with my DJ rig as they are a slightly heavier headphone.

Btw, could anyone PM me the instructions to fit these pads onto the S500s. Is it easy? Do I need glue or some sort of tool?
http://spares.sennheiser.co.uk/pro-audio-headphones/hd-25-originals-adidas/hd25-adidas-blue-circular-earpad-pair.html

Check out the video tutorial i posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaDRTS4UrXs

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #3,197 of 8,352
Check out the video tutorial i posted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaDRTS4UrXs

Thanks mate!

That looks so simple and easy. :D

Guess I'm gonna get the gunmetal grey S500s as they seem to be the more rare kind. Hope the blue pads will still look cool on them. :cool:

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #3,198 of 8,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by penmarker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree with the non-fatiguing highs, but I doubt they are sparkly.

Come to think of it, quite a few people mentioned that the highs are sparkly. What are you guys comparing the S500 to? My Goldring DR150 has a lot more sparkling highs, but in return has less lower bass response.

These are good sounding cans nonetheless. Perfect for the times when I want to go to class or get on the bus for transportation.

I wouldn't have used the term, "sparkly."

They're sparklier, in my opinion, than the M50, but they're not like the DT 990. Even so, my DT 990 is on an extended vacation in a desk drawer at the office. It's the S500 that gets all the ear-time recently. (Don't tell anyone. I don't want to lose my DT 990 Fanboi Club Membership.)

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #3,199 of 8,352
Quote:
Btw, is buyfromjapan a good seller to get them from?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victor-JVC-HA-S500-Z-Gun-Metallic-Carbon-Nanotube-Stereo-Headphones-/130804298213?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item1e748b31e5

I know that my comment doesn't really help.
I have just ordered from him a couple days ago, no problems with transaction and they are already shipped. I haven't received them yet so I can't further comment on the credibility, but seems trustworthy seller.

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #3,200 of 8,352
I know that my comment doesn't really help.
I have just ordered from him a couple days ago, no problems with transaction and they are already shipped. I haven't received them yet so I can't further comment on the credibility, bust seems trustworthy seller.

Ah ok, thank you! Ah, so you're the buyer from 19th of November lol :p

Well it looks like they are the cheapest seller of the S500 on eBay.

However, I want to order with EMS shipping included and after contacting them few days ago I still have not received any reply. Wanna order so badly, but need to wait for the message first. :frowning2:

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #3,201 of 8,352
Ah ok, thank you! Ah, so you're the buyer from 19th of November lol :p
However, I want to order with EMS shipping included and after contacting them few days ago I still have not received any reply. Wanna order so badly, but need to wait for the message first. :frowning2:

"Made in japan" on amazon uses ems by default with detailed tracking

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #3,202 of 8,352
Quote:
Ah ok, thank you! Ah, so you're the buyer from 19th of November lol
tongue.gif

However, I want to order with EMS shipping included and after contacting them few days ago I still have not received any reply. Wanna order so badly, but need to wait for the message first.
frown.gif

That's not me, I ordered the black ones
tongue_smile.gif

I am not really in a hurry so I ordered them with SAL so I can't help you there. Just note that SAL doesn't offer tracking number and that's a real bummer, I was expecting to spend the days just watching the route!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I also tried to buy from him. The shipping rates for USA are reasonable I think around $21 but for Europe they were close to $50 so that was no option for me.

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #3,203 of 8,352

Thanks but their shipping cost is way over what I want to pay.

I just checked what it would cost all together and it tuns out £35 for the S500 and £54 for shipping.

Definitely not doing that. Will wait for that eBay seller to reply.

That's not me, I ordered the black ones :tongue_smile:
I am not really in a hurry so I ordered them with SAL so I can't help you there. Just note that SAL doesn't offer tracking number and that's a real bummer, I was expecting to spend the days just watching the route!:D

I also tried to buy from him. The shipping rates for USA are reasonable I think around $21 but for Europe they were close to $50 so that was no option for me.

Ah ok mate, you got the understated black colour. :p

I think I will try to be patient and wait on their reply.

EDIT: Also, no offence to dsnuts or anyone else that has the S500-Z (gunmetal) colour but I think I'll be going for the black model too. To me the gunmetal ones looks to tacky and chrom'y. Sorry guys. Plus the black ones will look more cool with the blue HD25 pads on them I think.

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #3,204 of 8,352
Someone should buy these and see if it will be an easy transplant for a full sized S500

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826262058

12 dollars including ship

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #3,205 of 8,352

They're sparklier, in my opinion, than the M50, but they're not like the DT 990. Even so, my DT 990 is on an extended vacation in a desk drawer at the office. It's the S500 that gets all the ear-time recently. (Don't tell anyone. I don't want to lose my DT 990 Fanboi Club Membership.)
You sure bout that? The M50s have more treble extension and are brighter than the S500s to the point of being a bit unnatural when you compare them side by side. plus after a couple of hours the M50 treble becomes fatiguing. But the S500 treble is clean accurate and in tune with the balance

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #3,206 of 8,352
Quote:
Quote:

You sure bout that? The M50s have more treble extension and are brighter than the S500s to the point of being a bit unnatural when you compare them side by side. plus after a couple of hours the M50 treble becomes fatiguing. But the S500 treble is clean accurate and in tune with the balance

No, I'm not sure as I didn't compare them side-by-side. It was my error that I didn't make this clear.

I'm sure that I found with some folk (or folk-rock) music, the M50 was immediately disappointing. I think the proper description is "roll-off" in some treble ranges. In comparison, I found S500 to be the ones which are "sparklier" and occasionally and unfortunately "sizzling" or "piercing." But, they're the ones that now get 100% of the play time at work.

At our new office, I want something which provides much more isolation. If I could find a pair that compared well with the S500 or DT 990 or HD 650, I'd consider them strongly. Headphones are becoming a black-hole exerting an irresistible force on my money.

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #3,207 of 8,352
No, I'm not sure as I didn't compare them side-by-side. It was my error that I didn't make this clear.

I'm sure that I found with some folk (or folk-rock) music, the M50 was immediately disappointing. I think the proper description is "roll-off" in some treble ranges. In comparison, I found S500 to be the ones which are "sparklier" and occasionally and unfortunately "sizzling" or "piercing." But, they're the ones that now get 100% of the play time at work.

At our new office, I want something which provides much more isolation. If I could find a pair that compared well with the S500 or DT 990 or HD 650, I'd consider them strongly. Headphones are becoming a black-hole exerting an irresistible force on my money.
The recording you demo'd must have been mastered poorly as the M50's in no way lack treble extension or have drop outs. The most apparent differences between the M50s and the S500s is the rich fullness and body in the mids,bass, and sub bass. The M50s sound anemic next to the S500 and even the D2000 sounds pale. But spacious.
Edit: The JVC FX 40s are CNT IEMs and after about 30-100 hours they exhibited an uncomfortable piercing treble range that went away after about 100 hours. The S500s displayed some of the same uncomfortable treble for me but only for a day or so. And it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it was with the 40s. After settling in these have not been harsh unless the mix has it. (Dr Dre)

Hamilcar the good thing here is that the S500s are good enough to be your last purchase in HPs. Especially after the pads, tape mod, stuffed pads modifications. These mods elevate em to another level not easily matched.

Nov 22, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #3,208 of 8,352
Quote:
Quote:

The recording you demo'd must have been mastered poorly as the M50's in no way lack treble extension or have drop outs.
[...]
Hamilcar the good thing here is that the S500s are good enough to be your last purchase in HPs. Especially after the pads, tape mod, stuffed pads modifications. These mods elevate em to another level not easily matched.

It was either "Liege & Lief" or "Unhalfbricking" by Fairport Convention as I now recall. When I heard the M50 sound, I switched in the middle of the first track to the HD 650 and the album sounded light and airy as it was supposed to sound. I've heard those albums many times on the '650 and '990. Those albums were most certainly not mastered poorly but the M50 failed to do it justice. Except for some strong, loud soprano solos, I've found nothing on the S500 to make me feel the same. All of this is of course MY OPINION.

I don't need any more headphones (and I didn't need any I've bought) but I gotta get me something with real isolation. Our new digs have air-conditioner noise and monkeys freshly escaped from the zoo making noise in the halls.

Nov 22, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #3,209 of 8,352
I just did the incredibly complex "tape over the vents" mod. And what a pleasure it was to easily slide the pads back on using superstylefacto's sublime method. Took a whopping 5 minutes. Now that's my kind of mod! Beautiful.

So, does that mod really inceease the bass? Oh yeah. Wow, what an amazing full, powerful sound. Love it! Can't wait to try out the ath velours once they get here. As dsnuts says... the s500's are the phones that keep on giving :)

Nov 22, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #3,210 of 8,352
Quote:
I just did the incredibly complex "tape over the vents" mod. And what a pleasure it was to easily slide the pads back on using superstylefacto's sublime method. Took a whopping 5 minutes. Now that's my kind of mod! Beautiful.
So, does that mod really inceease the bass? Oh yeah. Wow, what an amazing full, powerful sound. Love it! Can't wait to try out the ath velours once they get here. As dsnuts says... the s500's are the phones that keep on giving :)

Welcome to the S500 BASSHEAD CLUB WAYNE!!!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back