The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Nov 22, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #3,226 of 8,352
I think that some volunteer could collect all the earpad, paper, tape mods in one post since they are so many scattered around the 200+ thread.
Also I was wondering if there is any other option for over the ear pad except HM5

Nov 22, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #3,228 of 8,352
Does anyone have the following AKGs to compare the sound and comfort?

http://m.richersounds.com/product/headphones/akg/k451/akg-k451

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #3,229 of 8,352
We wish and JVC grants????

The first over ear nanotube headphone: JVC HA-S770B

http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=HA-S770-E&catid=100161

ha-s770e.jpg

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #3,230 of 8,352
Wow! Those are like a 100g heavier than S500s.

Definitely not for portable use.

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #3,231 of 8,352
Quote:

I don't even use the S500's for portable use.....lol. I use the tiny little Sennheiser PX90's.

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #3,232 of 8,352
Yo are right. I opened a thread to discuss them in the full-size headphones forum.

They look promising and are nowhere to be found in the UE.

Nov 22, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #3,235 of 8,352
Quote:
We wish and JVC grants????

The first over ear nanotube headphone: JVC HA-S770B

http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=HA-S770-E&catid=100161

ha-s770e.jpg

hmmmmm interesting that they seem to have already released an over-ear CNT can, and no one has noticed it. LoL But's it's not a 50mm driver and has the same design as the JVC HAM750s.
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAM750-Monitor-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B002GQM2MA/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1353625030&sr=8-33&keywords=jvc+headphones

Not really digging the looks of these, so will still be waiting for the 50mm driver version hopefully with a newer design.
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #3,236 of 8,352
Quote:

It was either "Liege & Lief" or "Unhalfbricking" by Fairport Convention as I now recall. When I heard the M50 sound, I switched in the middle of the first track to the HD 650 and the album sounded light and airy as it was supposed to sound. I've heard those albums many times on the '650 and '990. Those albums were most certainly not mastered poorly but the M50 failed to do it justice. Except for some strong, loud soprano solos, I've found nothing on the S500 to make me feel the same. All of this is of course MY OPINION.

I don't need any more headphones (and I didn't need any I've bought) but I gotta get me something with real isolation. Our new digs have air-conditioner noise and monkeys freshly escaped from the zoo making noise in the halls.

Something like this ? : 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRfkVHeEnyA

Nov 23, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #3,237 of 8,352
Quote:
Quote:

It was either "Liege & Lief" or "Unhalfbricking" by Fairport Convention as I now recall. When I heard the M50 sound, I switched in the middle of the first track to the HD 650 and the album sounded light and airy as it was supposed to sound. I've heard those albums many times on the '650 and '990. Those albums were most certainly not mastered poorly but the M50 failed to do it justice. Except for some strong, loud soprano solos, I've found nothing on the S500 to make me feel the same. All of this is of course MY OPINION.

I don't need any more headphones (and I didn't need any I've bought) but I gotta get me something with real isolation. Our new digs have air-conditioner noise and monkeys freshly escaped from the zoo making noise in the halls.

Something like this ? : 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRfkVHeEnyA

If you mean the monkeys, no. These monkeys are also human but they're just loud.

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #3,238 of 8,352
Quote:

NYET !!!  Those guys at JVC reading my mind ? (well, obviously this thread...)  These are   "everything else but drivers"  from HA-M750 mated to drivers from HA-S500.!!!!

This is the transplant I was going to do, succession of various pads "one more try before I do that" postponing it up to now.

JVC HA-M750 are every bit as portable as HA-S500. Mated with drivers from HA-S500, these new copycat hybrids  from JVC should be as easily drivable as HA-S500. They are no bigger overall than HA-S500 + HM5 pads and fold up in about the same size as HA-S500.

One CAVEAT. A serious one. Those reports on HA-M750 breaking on headband linkages for no appearent reason, without HPs being rough treated, like falling on floor etc, are unfortunately real. My HA-M750, nicely treated, babied even, decided to disintegrated a couple of days ago while watching a movie.  To be more precise, while taking them off after the movie finished. I will repair those linkages ( no easy task, as glueing alone has even less chance in the long run than unstressed plastic they are made of - some very thin, like 0,5 mm or less, steel tape reinforcement around offending part(s) is in order. )

And no, they are definitely not the end of the road. HA-M750 or these new Frankenstein copycat hybrids are like Alice in WonderCanLand for modders. These have REAL potential to sound good, better than anything possible with HA-S500.

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #3,239 of 8,352
Quote:
NYET !!!  Those guys at JVC reading my mind ? (well, obviously this thread...)  These are   "everything else but drivers"  from HA-M750 mated to drivers from HA-S500.!!!!

This is the transplant I was going to do, succession of various pads "one more try before I do that" postponing it up to now.

JVC HA-M750 are every bit as portable as HA-S500. Mated with drivers from HA-S500, these new copycat hybrids  from JVC should be as easily drivable as HA-S500. They are no bigger overall than HA-S500 + HM5 pads and fold up in about the same size as HA-S500.

One CAVEAT. A serious one. Those reports on HA-M750 breaking on headband linkages for no appearent reason, without HPs being rough treated, like falling on floor etc, are unfortunately real. My HA-M750, nicely treated, babied even, decided to disintegrated a couple of days ago while watching a movie.  To be more precise, while taking them off after the movie finished. I will repair those linkages ( no easy task, as glueing alone has even less chance in the long run than unstressed plastic they are made of - some very thin, like 0,5 mm or less, steel tape reinforcement around offending part(s) is in order. )

And no, they are definitely not the end of the road. HA-M750 or these new Frankenstein copycat hybrids are like Alice in WonderCanLand for modders. These have REAL potential to sound good, better than anything possible with HA-S500.

Sucks to hear that your 750s are falling apart for you analogdude, yeah even though these new over-ear S770s might be a lot more comfortable, they are just not my cup of tea style wise. Really a lazy attempt on JVCs part, no new design with just a S500 driver re-house into those old 750s it seems. Will wait till a newly designed 50mm driver CNT over-ears set hits the market, c'mon JVC bring it!!!

People be careful, JVC be reading this thread yo! Poor analogdude got his idea stolen before he had a chance to even implement it. LoL

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #3,240 of 8,352
Quote:
Sucks to hear that your 750s are falling apart for you analogdude, yeah even though these new over-ear S770s might be a lot more comfortable, they are just not my cup of tea style wise. Really a lazy attempt on JVCs part, no new design with just a S500 driver re-house into those old 750s it seems. Will wait till a newly designed 50mm driver CNT over-ears set hits the market, c'mon JVC bring it!!!

People be careful, JVC be reading this thread yo! Poor analogdude got his idea stolen before he had a chance to even implement it. LoL

No sweat. I am operating like the guy from this anecdote :

A Martian spaceship broke down, crash landed on Earth. Only one space traveller survived, rescued by a very attractive young female Earthling, to the delight of his saviour, it turned out the Martian was male. Before long, they fell deeeeply in love.

One night, the Martian, who by now has learned to blend into human society by exquisite ability to adopt the looks of about anybody he pleases, was returning from the town fair. He told  by now his lady that guys were bragging about the size of their "aparatus" and a big money prize was being offered to the owner of the biggest "aparatus". 

"NOOOOOoooooooo.... - ............. - did you show it ALL ?" panicked Earthling, in a hushed voice, bated breath and all ....

"Calm down, my dear" said Martian in the relaxed of tones, smiling at her, winking :

" - just ENOUGH to win the contest ... - where do you want us to go on holliday with the prize money ? "

Well, if JVC ( or anyone else ) wants to get some real info regarding cans ( or anything audio ), they are not going to get it from me on a forum, for free. It is going to co$$$t them. Le$$on learned. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back