The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 13, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #10,126 of 18,652
I am not going to dwell on the DX50 "CODECgate" but I do want to quickly report on the subjective conclusions of my experimenting last week. In particular, I owe a shoutout to GoldfishX as I butted heads with him on this but my view has changed.

I spent all last week going back and forth between 1.2.2 and 1.2.7 with some detours to other firmware versions. The end result (for now) is that I am listening to... 1.2.6. I find it to have the most natural rendering of the soundstage, both to my preference and also in similarity to other DAC sources. To the extent that a CODEC can be deemed correct, I find 1.2.6 to be the one. (Note that I am listening to Lame 320kbps CBR MP3s; it is possible that different conclusions would be reached for other CODECs.) Overall I am finding, again subjectively, that this translates into the best SQ to my ears from 1.2.6.

So I am crossfade guy for now and I can live with that. It is a bit annoying how it cuts the last 5 seconds from the last song an an album but this is life.

To be clear, my DX50 > Pico Power > Heaven VI is sounding spectacular. My enthusiasm is renewed every time that I plug in. Neither 1.2.2 nor 1.2.7 was giving me this level of satisfaction and so it is 1.2.6 and music bliss for me.

As I said I will not dwell on this issue. I do hope though that iBasso will adopt mature CODECs for future firmware releases rather than the random variations of the experimental daily updates that they are apparently using. That would just be good practice, both to benefit its loyal customers and also for the DX50's positioning in a competitive DAP market. It would also mean that I could look forward to getting my gapless playback back.

beerchug.gif

Jan 13, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #10,128 of 18,652
  I am not going to dwell on the DX50 "CODECgate" but I do want to quickly report on the subjective conclusions of my experimenting last week. In particular, I owe a shoutout to GoldfishX as I butted heads with him on this but my view has changed.

I spent all last week going back and forth between 1.2.2 and 1.2.7 with some detours to other firmware versions. The end result (for now) is that I am listening to... 1.2.6. I find it to have the most natural rendering of the soundstage, both to my preference and also in similarity to other DAC sources. To the extent that a CODEC can be deemed correct, I find 1.2.6 to be the one. (Note that I am listening to Lame 320kbps CBR MP3s; it is possible that different conclusions would be reached for other CODECs.) Overall I am finding, again subjectively, that this translates into the best SQ to my ears from 1.2.6.

So I am crossfade guy for now and I can live with that. It is a bit annoying how it cuts the last 5 seconds from the last song an an album but this is life.

To be clear, my DX50 > Pico Power > Heaven VI is sounding spectacular. My enthusiasm is renewed every time that I plug in. Neither 1.2.2 nor 1.2.7 was giving me this level of satisfaction and so it is 1.2.6 and music bliss for me.

As I said I will not dwell on this issue. I do hope though that iBasso will adopt mature CODECs for future firmware releases rather than the random variations of the experimental daily updates that they are apparently using. That would just be good practice, both to benefit its loyal customers and also for the DX50's positioning in a competitive DAP market. It would also mean that I could look forward to getting my gapless playback back.

beerchug.gif

Lol, I was doing the same thing from 1.2.7 I went back to 1.2.2. There is a clear difference at least on sound stage. 1.2.2 being wider. I'm giving it a few more days then I'll switch to 1.2.5. I remember doing extensive comparison before between 1.2.2 and 1.2.5 and I really favored 1.2.5 back then. Let's see if I will have the same impression.

But I don't think I can go back to 1.2.6. The cross fade really bothers/annoys me. 80% of my songs are affected by it.

I think this is officially FW-rolling 
tongue_smile.gif

Must be a feature Ibasso unintentionally unleashed
L3000.gif

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #10,130 of 18,652
Peli1030 just perfect for a travel rig

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #10,131 of 18,652
very nice pelli for on the go.
which peli is it?

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #10,132 of 18,652
  very nice pelli for on the go.
which peli is it?

It is a model 1030.  I posted a few pages back if you are not interested in storing your dap and 'phones together, the 1010 fits the dx50 perfectly with room for an amp also.  I prefer to carry mine separately so if one get stolen/lost, I'm not out all my gear.  I'm kinda paranoid like that sometimes though.

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #10,133 of 18,652
It is a model 1030.  I posted a few pages back if you are not interested in storing your dap and 'phones together, the 1010 fits the dx50 perfectly with room for an amp also.  I prefer to carry mine separately so if one get stolen/lost, I'm not out all my gear.  I'm kinda paranoid like that sometimes though.

and here (again) is the 1040 holding DAP, phones, OTG cable AND HD.

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #10,134 of 18,652
Okay, time to change my loyalties...

My favorite firmware is 1.2.5 BUT it needs EQing. With no EQ, the vocals are horribly recessed, thin and drowned out. I go -6/-3/-2/0/0/0/0. Beautiful, detailed low end and sparkly clear vocals.

Tried 1.2.7 again, still sounds like mud. Not quite sure what to EQ to get it to tolerable levels.

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #10,135 of 18,652

I think this is officially FW-rolling 
tongue_smile.gif

Must be a feature Ibasso unintentionally unleashed
L3000.gif

I read that the DX100 is similar. I was prepared for this. Both a blessing and a curse, I suppose. But if I were dealing with this on an $800+ machine, I'd be a little irked. DX50 is cheap enough that I can deal with the inconveniences.

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #10,136 of 18,652
While I suspect it would be difficult for you, a gentler touch will resolve the issue.

If anything, I have the opposite issue with touchscreens/pads as I naturally use very little pressure.  If adjustable, I turn the sensitivity as high as possible.

I have no problems with unwanted screen response on the DX50, and occassionally need to select a choice a second time.

Actually I have a very soft touch, just big hands. I am getting better at it, but a slightly larger scroll bar might help. Other than the sensitive screen I like the UI, it is more intuitive than the Fiio x3, and the now deceased HM-602 I owned. I am very happy with the sq as well, some users are not happy with fw 1.2.7. At first I did not like the change in the sq, but after a few days of listening it grew on me. Now I think I am going to do some rolling of op-amps and buffers in the PB2, I like the current sq but I just can't help myself.

Cheers,
Shawn

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #10,137 of 18,652
they ship from china but how long does it normally take?
i live in the Netherlands.
with what postal service/company do they ship?

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #10,138 of 18,652
  they ship from china but how long does it normally take?
i live in the Netherlands.
with what postal service/company do they ship?

Normally a few days. They use various delivery, sometimes DHL. Some don't like DHL but I haven't had any problems with them and have them to be as fast or faster than other services.

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #10,139 of 18,652
They shipped mine DHL, it took four days even though it was in customs for one day.

Cheers,
Shawn

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #10,140 of 18,652
Yep 4 days to Denmark as well with DHL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back