The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 8, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #14,896 of 18,652
There are not so many problems. But if someone has a problem he writes here. This gives a bit a non-representative picture.
What problems are you afraid of? Do you want to use DAC function on a mac?

Sep 8, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #14,899 of 18,652
  if it's worth getting the iBasso DX50 due to the fact that so many seem to have problems with it, even with the latest firmware and so on. 

Hmmm... You`ve been reading wrong things (probably older impressions and info). New software works very well except some have issues with gapless play not working well and some have issues with some brand SD cards not working well (I think it`s not iBasso fault).
But otherwise I can`t really see any problems. And then there are custom firmwares like Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 which have no issues (my experience). About using it as desktop DAC via USB - that`s not working as it should atm (beta unsigned drivers!) and has much issues but I do hope they release new properly working USB-DAC drivers. If You don`t care about it and use it only as portable system, then it shouldn`t concern You. I also don`t care about it because for desktop I have another DAC anyway.

Sep 8, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #14,901 of 18,652
  There are not so many problems. But if someone has a problem he writes here. This gives a bit a non-representative picture.
What problems are you afraid of? Do you want to use DAC function on a mac?

Ahh, I see I see. Thank you very much for the informative and quick response! I am (was?) afraid of it not syncing properly with the USB-cable, and some other problems I've read people having difficults with. Such as SD-card errors, random shutdowns and so on. But as you also said that might have been old information. As it is of now I intend only to use it as a portable unit and not so much as a DAC. Doesn't it work at all as a DAC atm? I'm running a 64-bit win 8.1.

Thanks again!

Sep 8, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #14,902 of 18,652
Someone here posted message from iBasso that they will be releasing new signed USB-DAC drivers soon. Atm I think messing with those beta drivers will bring only frustration and agony, save Your nerves and wait for new driver :wink:

I didn`t understand what You mean with not syncing with USB cable? 

About SD cards - ask recommendations from this thread because there are lot of tested cards that work flawlessly, like ADATA Premier 64GB mSDXC UHS-I CL10 which is cheap also. Seems that most problems occur with cheaper Sandisk cards but this might be also from batch, formatting etc. But better to buy ones that have been tested reliable by users.

Sep 8, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #14,903 of 18,652
^ Alrighty!

I've read and seen youtube reviews where the unit isn't connecting as it should when you use your USB-cable with your PC. Many people have gotten errors and such, and have tried several hours just to get it connected. From what I've heard/read.

Oh, okey! I'll look for information regarding tested SD-cards. Although I find it a bit strange that Sandisk is one of the malfunctioning brands. We sell Sandisk at work, so if I buy the iBasso I could always try with a slightly better (faster) card there! :)

Sep 8, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #14,904 of 18,652

I've read and seen youtube reviews where the unit isn't connecting as it should when you use your USB-cable with your PC. Many people have gotten errors and such, and have tried several hours just to get it connected. From I've heard/read.

Never read about and had problems as such. Weird.

Sep 8, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #14,906 of 18,652
  ^ Alrighty!

I've read and seen youtube reviews where the unit isn't connecting as it should when you use your USB-cable with your PC. Many people have gotten errors and such, and have tried several hours just to get it connected. From what I've heard/read.

Oh, okey! I'll look for information regarding tested SD-cards. Although I find it a bit strange that Sandisk is one of the malfunctioning brands. We sell Sandisk at work, so if I buy the iBasso I could always try with a slightly better (faster) card there! :)

Those must be old videos back then on earlier FW versions which were indeed buggy. There is one video rant which was funny though and swears off DX50 even now without even trying the latest FW. Most of the rant was true back then. But most of them were fixed now. Then some complaints were not really bugs but more of a personal preference issues.

There are still few minor ones (e.g. true gapless) which iBasso can't seem to figure out till this day.

Sep 8, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #14,907 of 18,652
I went from SanDisk to Adata and have had no further issues with it skipping like an old CD-playing Walkman when I jumped up and down.  
normal_smile .gif

Anyone here try the SACD DSDs/DSFs floating around?  I got a bunch, but of course I had to bring them down from 1bit/2.8mhz to 24bit/176.  Still sound (really) good, not sure if I'm losing much by downsampling.  It's got me thinking about a Fiio X5, which will play the 1bit files.  Trying to resist the pull...no new equipment.... resisting.

Sep 8, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #14,908 of 18,652
What problems?  Turn on the device, THEN plug in the USB.  This is as free of problems as anything I have owned.  

I've owned two units, one on release and much much later, the first unit in early firmware was buggy as hell, honestly it was an absolute nightmare, freezing, losing touch screen response at random, crashing even when trying to update the firmware, bugs where the volume would get stuck going up until it maxed out, it was a bloody nightmare half-baked product rushed out the door IMO. I sold mine, you can find the old bug thread here. (have a read one day)

It is now stable though, so please don't worry anyone. The entire reason I bought a second unit months later was to see how far the firmware had come I now have no problems, none. (v1.2.8)

Sep 8, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #14,909 of 18,652
I've owned two units, one on release and much much later, the first unit in early firmware was buggy as hell, honestly it was an absolute nightmare, freezing, losing touch screen response at random, crashing even when trying to update the firmware, bugs where the volume would get stuck going up until it maxed out, it was a bloody nightmare half-baked product rushed out the door IMO. I sold mine, you can find the old bug thread here. (have a read one day)

It is now stable though, so please don't worry anyone. The entire reason I bought a second unit months later was to see how far the firmware had come I now have no problems, none. (v1.2.8)
lol WOW that's bad dude... really bad actually, imagine someone in bed trying to relax and enjoy some hifi and the volume raises up until maxed out (truly a nightmare) probably would assume they are possessed haha

Anyway my brother just got a dx50 and I can say it's bug free except for the gapless playback. But it's really cool to have a dx50 around to compare with my dx90

Sep 8, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #14,910 of 18,652
lol WOW that's bad dude... really bad actually, imagine someone in bed trying to relax and enjoy some hifi and the volume raises up until maxed out (truly a nightmare) probably would assume they are possessed haha

Anyway my brother just got a dx50 and I can say it's bug free except for the gapless playback. But it's really cool to have a dx50 around to compare with my dx90

Yes, it was quite frustrating and there was a little divided nation between members wanting to take hammers to their units and others who expressed no issues, or at most very little. The entire reason I ended up with another DX50 unit was because I borrowed one after being told "it's now stable bro, check it out" which I did and was pleasantly surprised, so purchased the unit from the loan member. 

is your brother using an amp with his DX50? I did demo DX90 about a month ago for two weeks, it was great.

PS: The reason DX90 released virtually bug free is because it basically uses the same OS as DX50, so all the bugs had been ironed out previously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back