The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jul 11, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #14,116 of 18,652
  And just to clearify, are the selections simply verified in settings screen by sliding from locked to unlocked, which reboots the player?

Yep, just select some option and then switch Hold to Off.
  Do you have a site where you keep the latest version and some log of changes? This would help always finding the needed information in case some post in here goes unnoticed.

Ok, I will try to update the github page - https://github.com/dm1try/dx50_sound_unlocked after opensourcing a launcher for the settings screen :) Soon.
  Thanks for the great work for making our players even better!

Sure :)

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #14,117 of 18,652

Ok, I will try to update the github page - https://github.com/dm1try/dx50_sound_unlocked after opensourcing a launcher for the settings screen :) Soon.

Installing 1.2.2 now. :D

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #14,118 of 18,652
Hi guys, i finally got the usb dac working, it's great for music through my laptop, but just one problem, it's useless for video and gaming as it's very noticeably out of sync due to lag. anyone else noticed this? any way to fix?

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #14,119 of 18,652
So after doing some research to figure out which IEMs to get for my DX50, I found some threads talking about how the DX50 doesn't work very well with low impedance headphones.  You basically need to use an amp with the DX50 for IEMs lower than 24 ohms.  Anything higher than 24 ohms should be sufficient, hence why my WooDuo2 IEMs(16 ohms) didn't sound great.  After scouring the threads, I found that a lot of people had great success pairing the VSonic VSD1/VSD1S IEMs with the DX50.  Many have said they're pretty much built for one another.

In any case, I ordered the VSD1S since the VSD1 are supposed to have a more bass.  http://www.lendmeurears.com/ has them both on sale for $38.40USD right now with free International shipping for anyone looking for IEMs to pair with their DX50.

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #14,121 of 18,652
So after doing some research to figure out which IEMs to get for my DX50, I found some threads talking about how the DX50 doesn't work very well with low impedance headphones.  You basically need to use an amp with the DX50 for IEMs lower than 24 ohms.  

I wouldn't pay too much attention to that rumor. There have been measurement comparisons of the X3 vs the DX50 which show the X3 to have better maximum power and voltage output for low impedance IEMs. Perhaps that's what you have been reading, but that doesn't make the DX50 bad because you have to need that maximum power before that difference becomes important. Based on the measurements I have seen, the DX50 has more than enough power to drive many low impedance IEMs, some even to their maximum power ratings, and drive them to very loud listening volumes. I guess that their might be *some* very few uber low sensitivity IEMs where the X3 would have a needed advantage.

So think of this as like someone saying your car is not very good for driving at high speeds in comparison to another car, even though your car can do 125 mph and you'll never drive it that fast. This is more the case of one DAP trying to over hype the other "theoretically" when practically, there is probably never going to be an observable difference.

I find my 16 ohm IEMs work quite well :)

How about everyone else?

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #14,122 of 18,652
I wouldn't pay too much attention to that rumor. There have been measurement comparisons of the X3 vs the DX50 which show the X3 to have better maximum power and voltage output for low impedance IEMs. Perhaps that's what you have been reading, but that doesn't make the DX50 bad because you have to need that maximum power before that difference becomes important. Based on the measurements I have seen, the DX50 has more than enough power to drive many low impedance IEMs, some even to their maximum power ratings, and drive them to very loud listening volumes. I guess that their might be *some* very few uber low sensitivity IEMs where the X3 would have a needed advantage.

So think of this as like someone saying your car is not very good for driving at high speeds in comparison to another car, even though your car can do 125 mph and you'll never drive it that fast. This is more the case of one DAP trying to over hype the other "theoretically" when practically, there is probably never going to be an observable difference.

I find my 16 ohm IEMs work quite well
smily_headphones1.gif

How about everyone else?

I was referring to post #77.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/675321/ibasso-dx50-vs-fiio-x3-comparison-thread/75#post_9858914

I read something similar in another thread too.  I thought it was just my WooDuos, so I was thinking of picking up some HiFiMan RE-400 IEMs.  The best bang for buck IEMs for around $100.  After reading a few posts, many owners complained that the RE-400s didn't pair very well with the DX50.  That lead to me finding the VSonic IEMs.

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #14,123 of 18,652

I find my 16 ohm IEMs work quite well
smily_headphones1.gif

How about everyone else?

You're definitely right, Sir. 
etysmile.gif

Most of the 16 ohm IEMs are very sensitiv and you won't need much power to run them more than adequate or even at full potential. So don't worry when you want to buy IEMs with 16 ohm impedance.

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #14,124 of 18,652
  I was referring to post #77.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/675321/ibasso-dx50-vs-fiio-x3-comparison-thread/75#post_9858914

I read something similar in another thread too.  I thought it was just my WooDuos, so I was thinking of picking up some HiFiMan RE-400 IEMs.  The best bang for buck IEMs for around $100.  After reading a few posts, many owners complained that the RE-400s didn't pair very well with the DX50.  That lead to me finding the VSonic IEMs.

The RE-400 have an impedance of 32 ohm. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #14,125 of 18,652
  You're definitely right, Sir. 
etysmile.gif

Most of the 16 ohm IEMs are very sensitiv and you won't need much power to run them more than adequate or even at full potential. So don't worry when you want to buy IEMs with 16 ohm impedance.

Which IEMs do you have?  I'll definitely compare the WooDuos to the VSD1S.  The VSD1S has a greater frequency response, larger driver, and greater impedance than the WooDuo 2.

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #14,126 of 18,652
  The RE-400 have an impedance of 32 ohm. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct, but for some reason a lot of people are complaining that they don't play nice with the DX50.  I found several posts where people were saying the same thing.  Just do a search in this thread for RE-400, and see what people have to say.

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #14,128 of 18,652
  Which IEMs do you have?  I'll definitely compare the WooDuos to the VSD1S.  The VSD1S has a greater frequency response, larger driver, and greater impedance than the WooDuo 2.

You can take a look at my profile. Currently I'm using the Havi B3 and the Zero Audio Tenore. The Havi B3 is easy recommendation for it's price tag, large sound stage, excellent instrument separation and a extremely natural sounding sound signature. And another bonus is that it match with the DX50. You can take a look at the appreciation thread.
The Tenores are great as well if you get lucky and get a "good" one. But there are many quality problems with it. I have two of them and both sound different and have different problems. The sound quality is nice, but I would recommend you to take a look at the B3.
I'm getting the new T-Peos Altone200 the next few days, really excited to try them 
etysmile.gif

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #14,129 of 18,652
Jul 11, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #14,130 of 18,652
Me too. Those are the measurements of maximum output characteristics I was referring to. So I wouldn't worry about it unless buying very insensitive IEMs.

Just to play it safe, I prefer buying something that's been tried and tested.  I don't want to get something that's supposed to generally sound good, but is finicky with the DX50.  I'd rather get something dedicated for the DX50 that I know works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back