The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jul 10, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #14,101 of 18,652

I see this talk about android Libraries and all ffmpeg libraries being removed, if ffmpeg isn't being used to decode the sound what is? And if the libraries are in place but not being used then it's not effecting the sound.. Can someone explain to me what this is supposed to mean?

Removing ffmpeg is the reason why most of DOC's FW don't support mp3 and some other audio formats, it is also the reason why Dima's FW has the option to choose weather you use them or not.

The ffmpeg libraries in 1.5.0 are better than those from the previous versions, but they still have minor negative effect on detail, micro-detail, sound stage and some macro level dynamics thus when you listen lossless formats they have a degrading effect.

Cheers!

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #14,102 of 18,652
  I really enjoy the fact that all android libraries and all ffmpeg libraries are removed. 

Fairly but not quite. Only soundfx android libraries are removed (lib/soundfx). Ffmpeg remained in place. FFmpeg is used for mp3 decoding and "gapless" feature but it does sound to be more flat.
FFmpeg is used by mango player. When you choose "Lossless only" in SU settings then a mango player load another config without FFmpeg/EQ component/gapless/etc. Only Lossless decoders are used in "Lossless only" config.

Dmitry, thanks for your efforts! I really enjoy the fact that all android libraries and all ffmpeg libraries are removed. This gives more neutral and balanced sound in the bass and the mids also a better sound stage, still I would prefer darker treble - even Diana Krall in 24/192 has quite sibilant "Ssss".

Do you use "Lossless only"? :) Not sure, I hasn't any sibilant. But sound is light, yep.

First question - is this purely due to the hardware/Wolfson or is it due to the Mango? 

It's the question for iBasso engineers :) I think, it's Wolfson.

Dmitry, thanks for your efforts! I really enjoy the fact that all android libraries and all ffmpeg libraries are removed. This gives more neutral and balanced sound in the bass and the mids also a better sound stage, still I would prefer darker treble - even Diana Krall in 24/192 has quite sibilant "Ssss".

Second question is there any way to make the treble more rolled-off/darker without using the awful iBasso EQ? Perhaps if I filter/cut the delta-sigma high frequency noise? How do I do that? I know you have left HIGH irr bandwidth by default which basically disables the filter is that correct?

You can change irr bandwidth on the "settings" screen. By default is enabled to HIGH(more details/noise?).

I would love a combination of the natural bass and great detail in the mids that your FW has and the laid back treble from DOC's DX90 PORT DARK EDITION

I think, you should try some hardware mod :) Seems like I will try do it for my player. Any software manipulations are bad for sound.

Thanks and keep up the good effort - looking froward to version 2 with more settings and even higher usability comfort!

Sure :)

I see this talk about android Libraries and all ffmpeg libraries being removed, if ffmpeg isn't being used to decode the sound what is? And if the libraries are in place but not being used then it's not effecting the sound.. Can someone explain to me what this is supposed to mean?

See above.

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #14,103 of 18,652
So what codecs are being used to decode the lossless files? 

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #14,104 of 18,652

The ffmpeg libraries in 1.5.0 are better than those from the previous versions, but they still have minor negative effect on detail, micro-detail, sound stage and some macro level dynamics thus when you listen lossless formats they have a degrading effect.

Cheers!

Just clarify, not only ffmpeg but some other components like EQ(does not matter disabled or not) have minor negative effects. What's why "Lossless only" config uses only lossless decoders. If "lossless" config is used SQ == SQ without mango player(I checked it with some WAV console player :) )

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #14,106 of 18,652
  Just clarify, not only ffmpeg but some other components like EQ(does not matter disabled or not) have minor negative effects. What's why "Lossless only" config uses only lossless decoders. If "lossless" config is used SQ == SQ without mango player(I checked it with some WAV console player :) )

I should have guessed that in besides cutting android's lib/soundfx and ffmpeg libs(as before I am talking about "lossless only" config) you also did remove the EQ component from the "SW tract" too! :)

Now I am going to try to make SU 1.2.1 as dark as possible (without altering the sound of course)! So are there more things to do besides these bellow?
1. ussing lossless only - option checked in the "settings" menu
2. using iir_bandwidth=0 - irr bandwidth unchecked in the "settings" menu
3. ?? using Sharp Roll-off DF ??

UPDATE: I tried the three points above - the treble didn't get any darker and I didn't notice any difference with iir_bandwith=0 and =1 so I guess I'll stick to your purist approach and use both "lossless only" and iir_bandwith=1

That leaves only one question - does the Slow Roll-off DF actually have any effect on the Wolfson DAC? Some claim that it only has effect on the ESS DACs in the DX90 and no effect on the Wolfson given it's technical specifications!

Cheers!

Jul 10, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #14,107 of 18,652
  Decoders are written by iBasso engineers. Single decoder for FLAC, single for APE, DTS, etc.

So then why not just tell ffmpeg not to be used as the decode for FLAC, etc.. ? 

Jul 10, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #14,108 of 18,652
  I didn't notice any difference with iir_bandwith=0 and =1 
Cheers!

No way :) 

That leaves only one question - does the Slow Roll-off DF actually have any effect on the Wolfson DAC? Some claim that it only has effect on the ESS DACs in the DX90 and no effect on the Wolfson given it's technical specifications!

Cheers!

Effect should be.. maybe a little bit psychological :) Anyway,  for me "Sharp" - "clear/brighter", "Slow" is more "smooth"(not sure in using worlds :) ). Check it using high volume, watch for the treble.

So then why not just tell ffmpeg not to be used as the decode for FLAC, etc.. ? 

Good question. I think this one is the bug. I already posted bug report to iBasso about two weeks ago. No answer.

Seems like this is implementation problem.  Audio stream passes all enabled components, nevermind FLAC or MP3 is decoded. But it's just a guess :)

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #14,109 of 18,652
Ahhh okay :) thanks for taking the time to explain. 

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #14,110 of 18,652
     No way :) 
Effect should be.. maybe a little bit psychological :) Anyway,  for me "Sharp" - "clear/brighter", "Slow" is more "smooth"(not sure in using worlds :) ). Check it using high volume, watch for the treble.

Good question. I think this one is the bug. I already posted bug report to iBasso about two weeks ago. No answer.

Seems like this is implementation problem.  Audio stream passes all enabled components, nevermind FLAC or MP3 is decoded. But it's just a guess :)

Thanks!

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #14,114 of 18,652
Sound Unlocked 1.2.2. Tiny update.

iBasso developers solved CUE support problem with the new DX90 firmware. But both platforms(DX50/DX90) use identical music application - Mango Player, so the problem solved for us too.

Changes:
  Fresh Mango player.

Don't forget about "Factory reset" and "Rescan library"!

Download - https://yadi.sk/d/qh2WVGBOWNsxK

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #14,115 of 18,652
  Sound Unlocked 1.2.2. Tiny update.

iBasso developers solved CUE support problem with the new DX90 firmware. But both platforms(DX50/DX90) use identical music application - Mango Player, so the problem solved for us too.

Changes:
  Fresh Mango player.

Don't forget about "Factory reset" and "Rescan library"!

Download - https://yadi.sk/d/qh2WVGBOWNsxK

Thanks! I just updated to 1.2.1 a minute before you posted this... 
tongue.gif

And just to clearify, are the selections simply verified in settings screen by sliding from locked to unlocked, which reboots the player?
Do you have a site where you keep the latest version and some log of changes? This would help always finding the needed information in case some post in here goes unnoticed.
Thanks for the great work for making our players even better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back