The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
May 20, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #13,231 of 18,652
 yes, that would be true voodoo. It's the wording I did not get.

Having not done any firmware updates on DX-50, if this was installed would a subsequent roll back to factory 1.2.8 work just fine? (as it is not an official firmware)

I am only wary about one thing, the DX90 owners who moved to the latest firmware had issues going back so I am hoping it's not the case with our DX50. If it's like the usual I say yes you should be able to, gonna go and try it now. :beerchug:

DOC2008, you're funny. :D

When booting I see the D90 splash screen, hahahah, here we go we got a fake DX90 no. As I anticipated the roll off is not functional but that is understandable. The Dac function shows up but again I serious doubt it's working besides I can't install the DX90 driver anyway on my PC (64-bit).

So let's see what else this thing sounds like. :etysmile:

Woooo, the sounds is quite different, starts sounding like the DX90 (kidding). The highs are truly extended maybe a little too sharp and that is with my HD600 known to be somewhat warmer, that is really weird. The bass is not as boomy, more neutral. I am still split as to leaving the firmware on. I think I'll leave it for a few days and then decide. Gonna go back and try the iems now.

DOC, the firmware version says 1.2.9, what happened? :eek:

I think this update is truly worth it, gapless works like a charm, now my cans sound more neutral because of the dap, you are a genius DC2008. I am sticking with it, plus I haven't had a volume spike since I put it on. I'll have to try it for a full day but so far it sounds good. I heartedly advice to upgrade your DX50, I got rid of my amp, you might too! :atsmile:

May 20, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #13,232 of 18,652
DOC you friggin rock man!!! Everything is working great so far. Hopefully this will solve my freezing issues(fingers crossed). I really get a kick out of the startup where it shows DX90, great touch.That gapless is quick,working great so far.

May 20, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #13,233 of 18,652
DOC you friggin rock man!!! Everything is working great so far. Hopefully this will solve my freezing issues(fingers crossed). I really get a kick out of the startup where it shows DX90, great touch.That gapless is quick,working great so far.

Me too had a good laugh! Note also that now you don't get prompted when shutting down the dap from the power button, that's amazing. DOC is the man no doubt.

May 21, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #13,236 of 18,652
Since implementing this new firmware I can't seem to get it off.
Trying to retrieve an older firmware has been unsuccessful. Has anyone else experienced this?

Go to the first page of the DX90 thread, there are instructions on how to remove this pesky version. It seems that iBasso has done some crazy magic to make it hard to revert back to the old one.

I am keeping it for now but to be honest I prefer 1.2.8 sound.

May 21, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #13,237 of 18,652
Just received DX-50 yesterday,updated with 1.2.8 firmware. Loaded with FLAC and WAV files use MicroSD 32GB (the cheapest version SanDisk).
Scanning card fast enough considering I 'm using low level MicroSD card.
Sound:
I set up EQ On, Custom: flat, IEM: Shure 215 and SR60i (I want to hear the sound of DX-50 without ext amp). Low gain, Vol :190-210 , music Smooth jazz, vocal: Ingram Washington ,Diana Krall

Here my impression of DX-50 1.2.8 FW version.
Bass : Controlled bass, not big bass but good enough for my music reference, I loose low bass.
Mid : Good mid in vocal,but Ingram voice become little bit thin
Hi: Nice solid treble, i enjoy listening more than 2 hours without fatigue feel.

DX-50 has netral sound and detail is good,I wish DX-50 deliver wider soundstage.I'm not fan of Wolfson DAC , I like eSabre ..but this time I like it

So far I enjoyed 1.2.8, expected on 1.2.9 or 1.3.0 version: wider sounstage, thicker mid.

May 21, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #13,238 of 18,652
Just received DX-50 yesterday,updated with 1.2.8 firmware. Loaded with FLAC and WAV files use MicroSD 32GB (the cheapest version SanDisk).
Scanning card fast enough considering I 'm using low level MicroSD card.
Sound:
I set up EQ On, Custom: flat, IEM: Shure 215 and SR60i (I want hear the sound of DX-50 without amp). Low gain, music Smooth jazz, vocal: Ingram Washington ,Diana Krall

Here my impression of DX-50 1.2.8 FW version.
Bass : Controlled bass, not big bass but good enough for my music reference, I loose low bass.
Mid : Good mid in vocal,but Ingram voice become little bit thin
Hi: Nice solid treble, i enjoy listening more than 2 hours without fatigue feel.

DX-50 has netral sound and detail is good,I wish DX-50 deliver wider soundstage.I'm not fan of Wolfson DAC , prefer eSabre ..but this time I like it

So far I enjoyed 1.2.8

I know you don't want to use an amp but the LO is really very good out of the Wolfson DAC. It'll fix the mid problem you experienced and, at least for me, it widens the soundstage. The player's amp is the big problem with the DX50.

May 21, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #13,239 of 18,652
DX90 FW 2.0.5 PORT FOR DX50 FINAL BY DOC2008

well, I gave this port a try because of my inquisitve mind. DX-90 splash screen mmmmmmmm......if I wanted a DX-90 I would have purchased one instead of DX-50.

With stock firmware start up pop/click (through my IEM) is nice and quiet but with this port it is very loud, no thanks.

Apart from this and the non functoinal DX-90 menu items It seemed very solid and skillfully done (well done Doc) and without other issue although for me personally I would rather wait for next official Ibasso firmware and see what they have in store.

Yes, you need to use batch tool to return to factory firmware (Thanks Musicheaven it works without issue if you follow instructions). I have returned to 1.2.8

http://www.ibasso.com/download/RKbatchtool_for_DX50.zip

May 21, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #13,240 of 18,652
DX-50 has netral sound and detail is good,I wish DX-50 deliver wider soundstage.I'm not fan of Wolfson DAC , I like eSabre ..but this time I like it

So far I enjoyed 1.2.8, expected on 1.2.9 or 1.3.0 version: wider sounstage, thicker mid.

Can I ask what made you decide on DX-50 and not DX-90 as 90 would have been more to your liking regarding specification?

+ are you just hoping for wider soundstage and thicker mid in next firmware or had correspondance with Ibasso to confirm?

May 21, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #13,241 of 18,652

Can I ask what made you decide on DX-50 and not DX-90 as 90 would have been more to your liking regarding specification?

+ are you just hoping for wider soundstage and thicker mid in next firmware or had correspondance with Ibasso to confirm?

Price DX-90 is $200 more than the DX-50, it big different for me almost 2 time price.I can upgrade my iEM with addiional $200.

I just received this unit yesterday, so I need to explore all DX-50 capabilities before sent request to iBasso.I believe our Head-fi friends already sent the wish list to iBasso.
But I'm not sure FW update will deliver huge improvement for DX-50, it can kill his big brother DX-90/100 market.

~ron~

May 21, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #13,243 of 18,652

Price DX-90 is $200 more than the DX-50, it big different for me almost 2 time price.I can upgrade my iEM with addiional $200.

I just received this unit yesterday, so I need to explore all DX-50 capabilities before sent request to iBasso.I belive our Head-fi friends already sent the wish list to iBasso.
But I'm not sure FW update will deliver huge improvement for DX-50, it can kill his big brother DX-90/100 market.

~ron~

True, coming from DX50 going to DX90 is nowhere near 2X the SQ difference (this is very subjective) as the price suggest. Some may even prefer the SQ of DX50 over DX90.However, DX90 delivers on one thing DX50 fall flat short which is the internal amp. No secret that DX50 sound best paired with one's favorite app. So a stack is a most certainly the best option if not the only option. This is where DX90 shines. It gives you more flexibility using different cans. A stack although is a better option is not the only option.

For people who are always traveling carrying as little gadgets possible is certainly a big plus and well worth the price. So if you factor in the cost for an additional amp, the price is around the same between DX50 and DX90.

The SQ is just gravy.

May 21, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #13,244 of 18,652
Stupid question maybe, but is there anything that speaks again plugging the headphone into the LO of the DX50? Seeing as it is volume controlled...

It's not per say but the impedance out of LO is quite high so you'll have to push the volume a lot higher than HO. I have done it before and can only drive my iems effectively from there not my cans, play with the gain and experiment. If you plug it to an amp it seems to improve the output, it feels somewhat wider stage wise.

Hope that answers your question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back