The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
May 17, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #13,186 of 18,652

HDTracks have 24/44 albums for sale.

Had my (secondhand, but mint) for a couple of weeks now and I am very pleased with it. It's played everything I put on the 64GB micro SD card and when I dug out an old OTC cable and a 64GB USB2 flash drive, that was picked up and worked immediately as well. No hangups or crashes. Only thing to note, I sometimes get interference (clicks or hums) if my mobile phone is anywhere near the DX50. First heard it when travelling on a train, just tried it again at home with 3g & wi-fi and there's nothing, maybe just the hint of a low hum. Strange Never had that with my old iPod 5.5, though..

Am using Sennheiser Momentum (on ear) headphones and it sounds great. Have my old LIttle Dot mk1 & a Mini^3 charging to see if an amp improves the sound, but I like the compactness of the DX50 on its own.

I tried this for a while and enjoyed the simplicity, but I was missing the bass boost that the C5 provides. After having the upgraded 3way bass boost switch installed on the C5, my DX didn't seem complete without it.  

May 17, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #13,187 of 18,652
C5 is a real winner.  I carry my DX50 less than 6 inches away from my iPhone (phone in pocket, player in belt pouch) and I don't hear any interference.  Maybe if they were touching?  They both should be well shielded, though, especially the phone.  

May 17, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #13,189 of 18,652
I have mine hooked up to a C5 as well and I find it very easy to reach down and spin the volume wheel a bit either direction if the sound skews too loud or soft when a track changes.  That's why (well, one of the whys) I got the C5.  The volume control is much easier (for me) to operate than a turning knob controller.  

Im also thinking of buying the c5 to pair with my hd600 and dx50. Do you think the difference will be significant?

May 17, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #13,190 of 18,652
I already had the C5 when I bought the DX50.  Never even tried it with HO.  Just plugged it in and I was off to the races.  I use Dunu1000 iems with it.  Sound wonderful to my ears.

May 18, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #13,194 of 18,652
Im also thinking of buying the c5 to pair with my hd600 and dx50. Do you think the difference will be significant?
I would say so to be quite honest. I have the HD600 and I find that the DX50 struggles to drive them properly, they don't sound bad I just don't think the dx50 has enough power to get the best out of them.

I pair the DX50 with the Duet and find a massive improvement in the sound.

May 18, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #13,195 of 18,652
The gain setting in the DX50 doesn't affect the line output, if that's what you meant.

I think so. From what you have said, Is it correct for me to say that it is better to put the dx50 on low gain if I am already using the c5 because the gain on the dx50 doesnt have an effect at all when using the amp?
I also have another question and I hope you dont find this stupid because I have never used an amp before. So here is my question, if Im using the c5 with the dx50, what headphone out will I be using, the dx50 or the c5? Thanks for your reply man.

May 18, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #13,196 of 18,652
I would say so to be quite honest. I have the HD600 and I find that the DX50 struggles to drive them properly, they don't sound bad I just don't think the dx50 has enough power to get the best out of them.

I pair the DX50 with the Duet and find a massive improvement in the sound.

I think id love to pair that with my hd600 and dx50 but unfortunately it costs twice of the c5. :frowning2:

May 18, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #13,197 of 18,652
I think id love to pair that with my hd600 and dx50 but unfortunately it costs twice of the c5. :frowning2:

The C5 is a good amp and I'm sure you will also hear a distinct improvement over just the DX50 and HD600 on their own. Wasn't so much a suggestion to get one as an indication that I personally believe you will hear definite improvements by adding an amp....in you case the C5 :)

May 18, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #13,199 of 18,652
I think so. From what you have said, Is it correct for me to say that it is better to put the dx50 on low gain if I am already using the c5 because the gain on the dx50 doesnt have an effect at all when using the amp?
I also have another question and I hope you dont find this stupid because I have never used an amp before. So here is my question, if Im using the c5 with the dx50, what headphone out will I be using, the dx50 or the c5? Thanks for your reply man.

Yes, I doubt that leaving the gain at lo/med/hi has any adverse or benefecial effects to the DX50. I leave mine at low gain and don't adjust it unless I'm using higher impedance/low-sensitivity phones using the headphone out of the DX50 only. When connected to the C5 it's on low gain, just because I like it to be there :)

When connected to the C5 the headphone out will be the C5's. The headphone out of the DX50 won't be used unless you plug your amp or phone into it.

May 18, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #13,200 of 18,652
Yes, I doubt that leaving the gain at lo/med/hi has any adverse or benefecial effects to the DX50. I leave mine at low gain and don't adjust it unless I'm using higher impedance/low-sensitivity phones using the headphone out of the DX50 only. When connected to the C5 it's on low gain, just because I like it to be there :)

When connected to the C5 the headphone out will be the C5's. The headphone out of the DX50 won't be used unless you plug your amp or phone into it.

Yup. The gain settings doesn't have any effect when you're on the line out connected to an amp. But same here I prefer to put it in low gain setting too. I've put it in high gain setting as well and noticed a faster drip in battery level..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back