The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
May 16, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #13,172 of 18,652
Ibasso informed me today the new FW will not be out until the end of this month due to how much is going into this newest and possible last update. Must be a good one hopefully.

I have ported DX90 2.0 firmware to DX50. :) It' fully working.

May 16, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #13,173 of 18,652

I think that what eduardo is asking for is replay gain capability, maybe? Like, being able to listen to all music on only one level of volume? I must confess that I would like that too 
smile.gif

This is why I use Rockbox. Replay gain works flawlessly.

May 16, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #13,174 of 18,652
I have ported DX90 2.0 firmware to DX50. :) It' fully working.

Does it allow the DX50 to go into DAC/Storage mode? If you can pull that trick, you might be able to provide DAC functionality ahead of it's scheduled time, the DX90 upgrade is coming real soon apparently. So if you can port that you would allow DX50 to enjoy that functionality too.

May 16, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #13,181 of 18,652
No offense but it's like downgrading your player from HiFi to LoFi, the resolution on RockBox is no where near the stock firmware and 1.2.8 is already pretty good, hi-res on it is quite acceptable.

None taken. The thing is I don't have a lot of high res tracks to begin with. Most of the music I have is either ALAC or AAC hold overs from past iTunes days long gone. Lately ive added a lot more FLAC tracks ripped from cd and a few downloads from HDTracks as well.  I frequently will switch between Rockbox and 1.2.8 and to be honest, I don't really hear a great difference between them.  I use the replay gain on Rockbox specifically when I feel like shuffling thru a particular genre (i.e. All Rock or all jazz tracks) of which most are 256 AAC or ALAC so the hi fi lo fi thing dosent really apply. I m more concerned with level volume across all tracks being shuffled in this particular situation.  Other times I will just play albums using 1.2.8 knowing that the volumes will all be equal and wont require me reaching into my pocket or whatever to try and manipulate the volume to compensate for different recordings. Again for me personally, running the DX50 thru my JDS c5 I don't hear a great difference between OF and Rockbox, I use both and appreciate that DOC2008 has allowed all of us users to even be able to have a choice.

May 17, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #13,182 of 18,652
I have mine hooked up to a C5 as well and I find it very easy to reach down and spin the volume wheel a bit either direction if the sound skews too loud or soft when a track changes.  That's why (well, one of the whys) I got the C5.  The volume control is much easier (for me) to operate than a turning knob controller.  

I tried RockBox and didn't notice a sound difference.  And I hated the visual look of it compared to the crispness of the stock UI.  I would like having folder to folder transitions, but other than that I couldn't see (well, hear)  any reason for it.  So I reverted back to stock.  

May 17, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #13,183 of 18,652

None taken. The thing is I don't have a lot of high res tracks to begin with. Most of the music I have is either ALAC or AAC hold overs from past iTunes days long gone. Lately ive added a lot more FLAC tracks ripped from cd and a few downloads from HDTracks as well.  I frequently will switch between Rockbox and 1.2.8 and to be honest, I don't really hear a great difference between them.  I use the replay gain on Rockbox specifically when I feel like shuffling thru a particular genre (i.e. All Rock or all jazz tracks) of which most are 256 AAC or ALAC so the hi fi lo fi thing dosent really apply. I m more concerned with level volume across all tracks being shuffled in this particular situation.  Other times I will just play albums using 1.2.8 knowing that the volumes will all be equal and wont require me reaching into my pocket or whatever to try and manipulate the volume to compensate for different recordings. Again for me personally, running the DX50 thru my JDS c5 I don't hear a great difference between OF and Rockbox, I use both and appreciate that DOC2008 has allowed all of us users to even be able to have a choice.

Quote:
No offense but it's like downgrading your player from HiFi to LoFi, the resolution on RockBox is no where near the stock firmware and 1.2.8 is already pretty good, hi-res on it is quite acceptable.

Who says playback at 16/48 bit is LoFi? As far as I know a Hifi system can play the original input audio signal and output the same signal with unnoticeable noise.

16 bit vs 24 in audio is not the same as video in terms of resolution (which I take you mean the amount of data you can extract). whatever data you get between 20Hz to 20Khz is the same regardless whether it's 16 bit or 124 bit. Unless you can hear beyond 20Khz and not damaging your hearing at 120dB and up then yeah you need > 16 bits.

Check out this demo.

http://xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml

May 17, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #13,184 of 18,652
Who says playback at 16/48 bit is LoFi? As far as I know a Hifi system can play the original input audio signal and output the same signal with unnoticeable noise.

HDTracks have 24/44 albums for sale.

Had my (secondhand, but mint) for a couple of weeks now and I am very pleased with it. It's played everything I put on the 64GB micro SD card and when I dug out an old OTC cable and a 64GB USB2 flash drive, that was picked up and worked immediately as well. No hangups or crashes. Only thing to note, I sometimes get interference (clicks or hums) if my mobile phone is anywhere near the DX50. First heard it when travelling on a train, just tried it again at home with 3g & wi-fi and there's nothing, maybe just the hint of a low hum. Strange Never had that with my old iPod 5.5, though..

Am using Sennheiser Momentum (on ear) headphones and it sounds great. Have my old LIttle Dot mk1 & a Mini^3 charging to see if an amp improves the sound, but I like the compactness of the DX50 on its own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back