The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Apr 26, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #12,811 of 18,652
  Hi, 

I'll be purchasing a HE-400 soon, was wondering if DX50 is sufficient to drive them? 

I have a small fiio e6 amp, but I doubt that will be of much help? 

Thanks, 
Regards,
Siddharth

I don't know what the other guy is talking about.  Even the AK100 can drive the 400s (35 ohm impedance and 92.5 db sensitivity) and its amp is much less powerful than that of the dx50.  The amp on the DX50 is more powerful than the typical DAP.  So, yes, you can listen to the 400s on the DX50 without an amp.   On the other hand, they will definitely sound better with a decent amp.   The DX50 has a relatively powerful amp, but it wouldn't be as good as most decent external headphone amps.  Of course, it would sound much better with an even better DAP too.

Apr 26, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #12,812 of 18,652
im laying down on my bed listening to melody gardot's iemanja fom the absence album through my dx50 and hd669 slux.

i almost cried.. the improvement from my ipod is so clear..

the soundstage is very spacious, the directional cues are insanely on another level compared to ipod, the separation between instrumen is so clear, its so detailed in reproducing every instrument that the moment i switch focus on some instrument, i reproduce it perfectly: how lifelike it sound, from where it is coming from and how far is it from other instrument.. i love it! definitely a wolfson fanboy now
tongue.gif

the sounds warm, quite warm actually.. the bass are very deep and punchy hence giving ny ears the warm impression.. the treble are not slouch though but the sub bass are kicking my bright phone's driver.. how cool is that?!

the only thing i dont like are the vocals... its harsh somehow and my ipod's cirrus produce smoother female vocal
frown.gif

+1 to melody gardot

Apr 26, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #12,818 of 18,652

I don't know what the other guy is talking about.  Even the AK100 can drive the 400s (35 ohm impedance and 92.5 db sensitivity) and its amp is much less powerful than that of the dx50.  The amp on the DX50 is more powerful than the typical DAP.  So, yes, you can listen to the 400s on the DX50 without an amp.   On the other hand, they will definitely sound better with a decent amp.   The DX50 has a relatively powerful amp, but it wouldn't be as good as most decent external headphone amps.  Of course, it would sound much better with an even better DAP too.

Dx50 & he-400: It seems that I need to try it out for myself then. If an amp is necessary, I'll pick one up later? Any cheap/budget suggestions?

Power does not equate to volume, yes you can plug in HE-400 to DX50 directly and it may play loud enough but the sound will be distorted or clipped on many cases.

The HO on DX50 sound distorted at high gain/max volume using my Beyer T1 which is much more efficient than HE-400 at 102 dB/mW.

As a guide, someone has measured the max power output of DX50 at 1% THD without distortion/clipping.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/697035/lightbox/post/10474102/id/1088331

For HE-400, you would at least want an amp to "properly" drive it to around 115 dB especially if you are listening to classical music, and it will require around 180 mW of power. For pop and rock music and if you are satisfied listening at moderate to low volume (105 - 110 dB) HE-400 needs around 60 mW.  At high gain, you also raise the noise floor on DX50.

If you are ok with that level then it's fine, but it will certainly sounds better with a powerful external amp.

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #12,819 of 18,652

Power does not equate to volume, yes you can plug in HE-400 to DX50 directly and it may play loud enough but the sound will be distorted or clipped on many cases.

The HO on DX50 sound distorted at high gain/max volume using my Beyer T1 which is much more efficient than HE-400 at 102 dB/mW.

As a guide, someone has measured the max power output of DX50 at 1% THD without distortion/clipping.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/697035/lightbox/post/10474102/id/1088331

For HE-400, you would at least want an amp to "properly" drive it to around 115 dB especially if you are listening to classical music, and it will require around 180 mW of power. For pop and rock music and if you are satisfied listening at moderate to low volume (105 - 110 dB) HE-400 needs around 60 mW.  At high gain, you also raise the noise floor on DX50.

If you are ok with that level then it's fine, but it will certainly sounds better with a powerful external amp.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. The graphs give clear details of what you're suggesting. 

I'll probably consider selling the dx50 & pick up a dx90, or should i buy an portable amp with the $100? any suggestions? 

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #12,821 of 18,652
  Thanks for the detailed explanation. The graphs give clear details of what you're suggesting. 

I'll probably consider selling the dx50 & pick up a dx90, or should i buy an portable amp with the $100? any suggestions? 

There is not much powerful amp that can fully drive HE-400 at $100. Take note that upgrading to DX90 will drive it just fine but not much headroom. 

I think you are better off looking for a better amp  at around 300USD. You will end up spending around that much if you sell DX50 and upgrade to DX90.

Check out these amps

iBasso PB2
Headamp Pico Power
Portaphile 627

Pretty sure they are capable of driving HE-400 with room to spare. PB2 the most versatile and good value here not to mention the most powerful (up to 2.5 Watts). Other than HE-6 it will have no problem driving any headphone out there.

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #12,823 of 18,652
  Anyone have an issue where the scrollbar stops half way down the list of all your music?

Does it also stop playing the music? If you go to a any menu and go back to the "while playing screen" does it fix it. I think it just stuck from from waking up the backlight.

I see this happening on my DX90, but it doesn't interrupt the music currently playing.

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #12,824 of 18,652

Does it also stop playing the music? If you go to a any menu and go back to the "while playing screen" does it fix it. I think it just stuck from from waking up the backlight.

I see this happening on my DX90, but it doesn't interrupt the music currently playing.

Music doesn't stop, its just while scrolling through the list of music it'll stop at the halfway mark and refuse to go further.  Sometime's it'll jump from 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back