The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Apr 24, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #12,781 of 18,652
Hey DX50 owners, 

I've been away from head-fi for a while (about since the dx50 first came out) and I know there are talks about amps all over this thread but It's a bit much to skim through 800+ pages so I was wondering if you guys can help me out in that sense?

Currently own a pair of K702 Annies and DT990's (planning on investing into the Audeze family sometime fairly soon) and want a nice amp to add to my dx50. ATM i don't have a price range to give you guys as i am kind of getting the feel of what i should save up for.

Ideally want something that stacks nicely aesthetically. Was waiting for PB3 and DB3 from iBasso but I have no clue when that is happening.

Thanks for the help! 

What are you expecting to get waiting for PB3? PB2 already has enough juice to power those Orthos. It can even power HE-6 at an ear-busting level (115-117 dB). It's output stage is socketed so you can use different opamps/buffers to fine tune the sound. It supports both single-ended and balanced connection. And it stacks nicely with DX50's dimensions. At around 300 dollars, it's a very good value and can put some desktop amps to shame.

Apr 24, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #12,782 of 18,652
Hey DX50 owners, 

I've been away from head-fi for a while (about since the dx50 first came out) and I know there are talks about amps all over this thread but It's a bit much to skim through 800+ pages so I was wondering if you guys can help me out in that sense?

Currently own a pair of K702 Annies and DT990's (planning on investing into the Audeze family sometime fairly soon) and want a nice amp to add to my dx50. ATM i don't have a price range to give you guys as i am kind of getting the feel of what i should save up for.

Ideally want something that stacks nicely aesthetically. Was waiting for PB3 and DB3 from iBasso but I have no clue when that is happening.

Thanks for the help! 

What are you expecting to get waiting for PB3? PB2 already has enough juice to power those Orthos. It can even power HE-6 at an ear-busting level (115-117 dB). It's output stage is socketed so you can use different opamps/buffers to fine tune the sound. It supports both single-ended and balanced connection. And it stacks nicely with DX50's dimensions. At around 300 dollars, it's a very good value and can put some desktop amps to shame.

That's great to hear. I was just waiting to see what the PB3 was all about as I wasn't in such a rush to get an amp but now I'm getting a bit impatient haha.
I have been gazing over the PB2 for some time now.

Apr 24, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #12,783 of 18,652
I've finally had enough of the dodgy gapless implementation, and want to convert the affected albums into single, large files. They are currently in ALAC format on a Mac. What is the best way to do this?

Apr 24, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #12,784 of 18,652
I've finally had enough of the dodgy gapless implementation, and want to convert the affected albums into single, large files. They are currently in ALAC format on a Mac. What is the best way to do this?

Gapless works fine on Rockbox if you are up to it.

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #12,787 of 18,652
I don't want to switch to Rockbox, as I need 24/192 capability.

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #12,788 of 18,652
Hey DX50 owners, 

Thanks for the help! 

The RSA Intruder fits all your criteria. It stacks perfectly and sounds great. I have the 702s and they sound really good with the DX50 and the intruder. You can also look for sorensim's thread called. I'm looking for the perfect amp. It covers exactly this topic and discusses these amps. (And it isn't too long of a thread.)

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #12,789 of 18,652
The RSA Intruder fits all your criteria. It stacks perfectly and sounds great. I have the 702s and they sound really good with the DX50 and the intruder. You can also look for sorensim's thread called. I'm looking for the perfect amp. It covers exactly this topic and discusses these amps. (And it isn't too long of a thread.)

Awesome thanks so much! Quick question about the intruder. When pairing it with the dx50 is it best to buy a 3.5 to balanced cable? Or just use the SE Input?

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #12,790 of 18,652
Just use a 3.5 to 3.5. The output of the DX50 is not balanced. So just go single ended input. The intruder circuitry will handle splitting it for balanced output.

Apr 24, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #12,791 of 18,652
Hey guys,

I need some advice here,

I use my dx50 with m100, maddog single ended and gr07..

I enjoy them with the dx50 alone but when i added O2 it was better, but the O2 is not much of a portable option..

So i was thinking of getting an amp, after reading the amps thread by soren,

I reached those amps in budget respectively,

Pb2, quickstep, bh2 and d42 mamba..

But i need comparisons for any of these amps against O2, if someone owned them both.

If it at least matches O2 or is better.

Iam leaning towards pb2, because it includes balanced also, although i have no equipment that supports balancing now, but may be in future i can use it.

So i would like you to share any experience or any advice.

What iam seeking is better sound stage , seperation and details.. i have touched these improvements between dx50 builtin amp and O2

Thanks in advance

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #12,792 of 18,652
Comparing the battery life of Ibasso DX50 and DX90, I wonder if Ibasso can redesign the internal components of the DAP or increase the depth of housing slightly in an updated model so that a bigger battery can be placed inside the DX90. That will make the DX90 an almost perfect DAP for many of us. 15 hours of battery life will be adequate.

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #12,793 of 18,652
Hey guys,

I need some advice here,

I use my dx50 with m100, maddog single ended and gr07..

I enjoy them with the dx50 alone but when i added O2 it was better, but the O2 is not much of a portable option..

So i was thinking of getting an amp, after reading the amps thread by soren,

I reached those amps in budget respectively,

Pb2, quickstep, bh2 and d42 mamba..

But i need comparisons for any of these amps against O2, if someone owned them both.

If it at least matches O2 or is better.

Iam leaning towards pb2, because it includes balanced also, although i have no equipment that supports balancing now, but may be in future i can use it.

So i would like you to share any experience or any advice.

What iam seeking is better sound stage , seperation and details.. i have touched these improvements between dx50 builtin amp and O2

Thanks in advance

I have not tried PB2 yet, but if you are looking for an amp wiith similar charateristic as O2, UHA-6SMKII is similar if not better among the portable amps I tried..

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #12,794 of 18,652
Hey DX50 owners, 

Thanks for the help! 

I'm pairing my DX-50 with a Pico Power and they stack perfectly. The Pico drive the K702 very well and the soundstage is just great.

Apr 25, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #12,795 of 18,652
I don't want to switch to Rockbox, as I need 24/192 capability.

It is now a dual boot between rockbox or ibasso. I therefore choose ibasso for 24/192 & dsf files and rockbox for all others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back