The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Apr 19, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #12,706 of 18,652
  Is it strange that I prefer the DX50 sound to the DX90?

That's great news for current owners of the DX50! Now I don't have to bother with my DX90 cravings. 

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #12,709 of 18,652
I guess you got me wrong, HEADWHACKER answer me a little bit. My comparison I asked was:
Dx50 via HO with dynamic and BA iems?
Dx50 via LO with something like iBasso e12 and the same iems?

To my ears the HO has good sound, but what would be the differencs you hear between only HO and an external amp (e12 is quite easy to get buy via mp4nafion for me)
:)

One thing o keep in mind is the Fiio e12 is a very powerful amp, unless you have some hard to drive headphones I would look at something else. I have the ibasso D42 amp with myDX50 and this combo sounds great. The BH2 is a nice amp paired with the DX50, unless you want to spend A lot more money you have a great rig already.

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #12,710 of 18,652
  That's great news for current owners of the DX50! Now I don't have to bother with my DX90 cravings. 

Originally Posted by HK_sends /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not really. Just because something is more expensive or has "better" components doesn't mean it's going to please everyone. The DX50 is no slouch for sound.
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Great to know that I'm not crazy then 
biggrin.gif

Is it DX50 alone over DX90 or DX50 with an amp?

Yea, I pair the DX50 with a Portaphile 627 MICRO and I didn't hear a big difference between the DAC section of the DX50 vs the DX90. Along with the slightly irritating treble section of the DX90 (sabre sheen ftw), I couldn't justify keeping it when the DX50 is already good enough.

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #12,712 of 18,652
  Great to know that I'm not crazy then 
biggrin.gif

Yea, I pair the DX50 with a Portaphile 627 MICRO and I didn't hear a big difference between the DAC section of the DX50 vs the DX90. Along with the slightly irritating treble section of the DX90 (sabre sheen ftw), I couldn't justify keeping it when the DX50 is already good enough.

The biggest change from DX50 to DX90 is the internal amp section. The internal amp of DX50 is it's main weakness, but the LO is excellent that is why pairing it with an external amp you like will make DX50 sound superb.

But the DX90 is like DX50 stuffed with a more powerful and better amp. Of course the difference/choice in DAC will most likely fall under personal preference and there is nothing wrong if you prefer the sound signature of the Wolfson DAC.

DX90 not needing an amp is it's biggest upside because most people want to go away from carrying a stack when on the go.

In my case I started with a iPod/HiFi-M8, then DX50/UHA-6SMKII. Now just DX90 is much more convenient. I can just put DX90 in my pocket and going out without carrying a bag is now possible.
beyersmile.png

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #12,714 of 18,652

The biggest change from DX50 to DX90 is the internal amp section. The internal amp of DX50 is it's main weakness, but the LO is excellent that is why pairing it with an external amp you like will make DX50 sound superb.

But the DX90 is like DX50 stuffed with a more powerful and better amp. Of course the difference/choice in DAC will most likely fall under personal preference and there is nothing wrong if you prefer the sound signature of the Wolfson DAC.

DX90 not needing an amp is it's biggest upside because most people want to go away from carrying a stack when on the go.

In my case I started with a iPod/HiFi-M8, then DX50/UHA-6SMKII. Now just DX90 is much more convenient. I can just put DX90 in my pocket and going out without carrying a bag is now possible.
beyersmile.png

Yea, that was the biggest change I noticed between the 50 and 90. I just bought the 627 MICRO last month and it synergises so well with the cans I currently own so I don't want to sell it off so soon afterwards!

Anyways, you started with the M8? Wow, that's a high place to start your portable journey 
biggrin.gif
 I assume you sold it because of size issues though?

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #12,716 of 18,652

Nope, it's a very good desktop amp/dac.

I'm pretty sure the M8 is supposed to be a portable DAC/amp combo, although flaunting the boundary between portable and transportable.

Apr 19, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #12,717 of 18,652
  I'm pretty sure the M8 is supposed to be a portable DAC/amp combo, although flaunting the boundary between portable and transportable.

It was not a problem initially. But the very short battery life (5 - 6hrrs) wore me down more than the size. It also requires an 18V charger which is bulky so if you carry the full set you will need a big bag.

The DX50 + UHA-6SMKII is considerably smaller stack and the battery life is very good ( > 12 hours) and I only need to carry a USB charger cable. It fits on a very small messenger type bag.

I would probably still bring the same bag with DX90 since I usually bring at least 2 iems. But it will definitely be lighter and less bulky.  If I want to travel light I can just go with DX90 + iem in my pocket and no bag at all. 

I'm still keeping my DX50 though because I still like how it sounds with Rockbox.

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #12,718 of 18,652
  It was not a problem initially. But the very short battery life (5 - 6hrrs) wore me down more than the size. It also requires an 18V charger which is bulky so if you carry the full set you will need a big bag.

The DX50 + UHA-6SMKII is considerably smaller stack and the battery life is very good ( > 12 hours) and I only need to carry a USB charger cable. It fits on a very small messenger type bag.

I would probably still bring the same bag with DX90 since I usually bring at least 2 iems. But it will definitely be lighter and less bulky.  If I want to travel light I can just go with DX90 + iem in my pocket and no bag at all. 

I'm still keeping my DX50 though because I still like how it sounds with Rockbox.

I see, I see. So it's basically a transportable rig that's not great for the purpose that you wanted it to excel in; yea, that's understandable. I can see how you would prefer the DX90 to the DX50 + 6SMKII and that to the iPod + M8. Basically an upgrade in portability each step while not sacrificing sound quality at all. 

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #12,719 of 18,652
No, it's not.  Each device is different and sometimes we like ones that are half the cost (or more) of other ones.  The Colorfly C3 is a good example.  Just because iBasso brings out a new model doesn't mean it'll sound better to YOU.  A lot of what I see here (not pointing fingers) is people rushing to the next big thing.  The DX50 is maybe a half-year old and people are already running to the next big thing. Chasing the perfect sound can be fun (if your pocketbook can afford it), but it really leads to people being eternally dissatisfied with what they have, because they are hoping the next thing will make them more satisfied.  There's something to be said for taking your time, not rushing around, enjoying what you have.  And, really, what percentage of extra sound quality is to be gained by rushing to the next big thing?  How MUCH better is the DX90 compared the 50?   

Just my 2 cents.  

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #12,720 of 18,652

And, really, what percentage of extra sound quality is to be gained by rushing to the next big thing?  How MUCH better is the DX90 compared the 50?   

Not enough, personally 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back