The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 31, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #10,936 of 18,652
Totally agree that it makes a given amp less versatile if it hisses with a specific class of phones I just dont agree that you can call it a fault/defect with that amp (unless it's not supposed to do so)

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #10,938 of 18,652
I enjoy the DX50 HO so much so i have stopped using LO to JDS C5. I dont hear a noticable difference in sound quality and i enjoy the portability aspect of the DX50 minus the amp. On the subject of hiss, my Sony X1061 has more hiss compared to the DX50 when using sensitive iem but i only can hear it during the very silent areas between tracks.

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #10,939 of 18,652
A rose by any other name is still a rose. The idea behind the design of an amp is that it should in theory take the load for the earphones that are available on the market without having to whistle is way trough. Granted it's hard to make an amp that is able to provide a relatively large range of input loads but with today's technology it should be able to do so. Therefore I would classify this as a design limitation. And if it is not solvable, itwill make me gravitate towards another player if I can't take the idea of a stack or to plug an amp onto it and still enjoy the player as long as it has a clean line out.

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #10,942 of 18,652
Hi there, after reading the reviews i have decided to buy dx50 but i just have one last thing in mind. For those who have already tried this with Se535; is there a hiss, how bad is it? thanks

Yes there is however I noticed it to be somewhat more tamed with the latest firmware release and more importantly after so many months of burn-in. You can eliminate it by setting the gain to high on the player so it's not it isn't fixable, it just that you'll have to be careful with the volume when gain is high not because it will be distorted but you can lead to hearing loss if you are not careful.

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #10,943 of 18,652
It's not always easy throwing out recommendations isn't it. While it's true that sensitivity/impedance doesn't indicate sound quality,  there are a lot of excellent phones that are very sensitive/low impedance. I'd rather get the most sensitive phone with the best SQ for me and and just get the DAP that sounds great but don't cost you an arm, slap an external amp to fix any mismatch with the internal amp than buy a 1K + DAP.

The headphone will last longer than the DAP and gives the most benefit in terms of SQ in a rig. So I believe the choice of the headphone should not be dictated by your choice of DAP. It should be the other way around. Get the best phone for you (regardless of sensitivity or price) then get a decent DAP. Then it's up to you if need an external amp or not to fix any issues in between.

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #10,944 of 18,652
Dx50 - shure 535 - high gain = distortion.
You really don't hear distortion? I do.
Yes there is however I noticed it to be somewhat more tamed with the latest firmware release and more importantly after so many months of burn-in. You can eliminate it by setting the gain to high on the player so it's not it isn't fixable, it just that you'll have to be careful with the volume when gain is high not because it will be distorted but you can lead to hearing loss if you are not careful.

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #10,945 of 18,652

Thanks for the response.
Hmm..? looks like this last part is not as simple as i thought. I hope they will let me test it.
I tested the studio V before and the hiss was terrible.
I tried fiio x3 and was delighted that there was no hiss but then again, after all the reviews i've read, i think im gonna like the sound sig of x50.
What if the volume suddenly goes up when my gain is in high?
*sighs* now im stuck.

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #10,946 of 18,652
Thanks for the response.
Hmm..? looks like this last part is not as simple as i thought. I hope they will let me test it.
I tested the studio V before and the hiss was terrible.
I tried fiio x3 and was delighted that there was no hiss but then again, after all the reviews i've read, i think im gonna like the sound sig of x50.
What if the volume suddenly goes up when my gain is in high?
*sighs* now im stuck.

Well it's not that I want to veer you off of a very good implementation of a WM8740 DAC but if you like the X5 amplification stage and the TI DAC and can wait until March time for global release then I would go for that, when I tested the SE535 on it I had no hiss.

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #10,948 of 18,652
I was
Well it's not that I want to veer you off of a very good implementation of a WM8740 DAC but if you like the X5 amplification stage and the TI DAC and can wait until March time for global release then I would go for that, when I tested the SE535 on it I had no hiss.

Guess you are right. I was actually waiting for x5 to be released in march until i saw dx50 in a store and eventually got interested after reading more about it. Besides i think fiio x3 is a bit warm to my taste which is also what i am expecting with x5 (hope not)
If dx50 releases a new firmware and incase, just incase ibasso would be able to make it hiss free for se535(or atleast just a bit better) i hope you guys can update it here. It'll be much appreciated.
I'll check it at the store tomorrow if they'd let me test it. I'll see how it goes from there. Thanks a lot

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #10,950 of 18,652
Sorry I don't maybe you have more acute ears than I do, mind you I don't listen to it at high volume and secondly I stopped using the HO and connected an amp to it so everything's good.

I thought you went back to using DX50 HO only and retired the LO/amp with 1.2.8.
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back