The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 30, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #10,921 of 18,652
  Just reporting in, the physical play button have officially failed on my dx50. 1.5 month usage, 10-14 clicks a day. Nicely protected by the silicon case. It suddenly doesn't respond anymore.The forward and rewind button still very good. I hope the power and volume button doesn't fail D, since i need to press it every time i need to pause a song from now on.

wow, thats quite horrible news, im willing to buy one and than is no good to me
Do you "feel" something previous the failure of the button?
do you have tell this failure to ibasso?

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #10,922 of 18,652
OK guys, my player is still giving me trouble since installing 1.2.8. I have to factory reset the thing once a day from recovery otherwise it will hang at the Ibasso Audio screen. This never happened on 1.2.7 or prior. I have tried wiping everything multiple times and reinstalling 1.2.8 from a different link.

Also Ishera, the back button on my player has started wobbling and creaking. Probably only a matter of time before it goes...

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #10,923 of 18,652
  OK guys, my player is still giving me trouble since installing 1.2.8. I have to factory reset the thing once a day from recovery otherwise it will hang at the Ibasso Audio screen. This never happened on 1.2.7 or prior. I have tried wiping everything multiple times and reinstalling 1.2.8 from a different link.

Also Ishera, the back button on my player has started wobbling and creaking. Probably only a matter of time before it goes...

I would try downloading the new FW again. I know it is a long shot. I did download a previous FW once and there was a small error somewhere. I downloaded twice more then it worked fine. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #10,925 of 18,652
My play button has been a little unreliable from the start, requiring a couple of presses before it registers usually. Sometimes more. I think this is fairly common though. Other than this though, the DX50 has been excellent ..

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #10,926 of 18,652

Might as well at this point. Do you happen to have the zip or actual update file you can give me the md5 of?

md5? 

The file is 120mb or so. I am in Alaska in the bush and I have limited internet usage so I have to ration what I do with it. I am sure someone will have something. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #10,928 of 18,652
Correct me if i am wrong ,but i only need a amp if i hear a hiss on my p5 ?
Or are there other benefits when using a amp like fiio e12 and the imbasso?

If my opinion on the matter isn't already clear, buying an amplifier to get rid of another amplifier's hiss is throwing good money after bad. The problem isn't the amplifier; it's the headphones. Replace the headphones with something less sensitive and the hissing problem should go away. Here are a couple of tips: sensitivity and impedance do not correlate with sound quality. Neither does price.

As a sort of quick and dirty guide, if you find yourself asking if you need an outboard amplifier then you probably don't need one. Conversely, if you know you need one then you wouldn't be asking, although you might ask for suggestions about which amplifier provides specific functions and features that you want. The purpose of an amplifier is, as the name indicates, to amplify a signal. That is to say, more power. DX50 delivers more than enough power to drive nearly any headphone up to around 300 ohms nominal impedance to deafening volume levels. Some calculations on that point that I did a few weeks back:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/679473/the-ibasso-dx50-thread-latest-firmware-1-2-8/10275#post_10172331

Fiio E12 is considered to be inferior to DX50's amplifier. It doesn't sound as good.

Another tip: there is no "best"; there's only what sounds best to you. Don't be afraid to step up the headphone jack gain. Increasing the gain and reducing the master volume appears to lower the amplifier's noise floor. If it solves any noise problems for a given set of headphones you use then that's best for those headphones and your ears.

Jan 31, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #10,929 of 18,652
Ok,now I am convinced that I don't need a amp .Maybe I buy another headphone so I have one for outdoor and one for in mij house .I noticed that I can't enjoy the music so much when it's not in silence environment.
And fast music like drum and bass make me crazy now in my head ,to much detail..
Slow music is beautiful on my Bowers&wilkins p5 I bought I for travel in the subway ..
Any suggestion for a allround headphone for in my house ?

Jan 31, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #10,931 of 18,652
  wow, thats quite horrible news, im willing to buy one and than is no good to me
Do you "feel" something previous the failure of the button?
do you have tell this failure to ibasso?

Nothing wrong previously. There is like a second delay to pause and play a song. Even when you use the touch screen. Same goes to forward and rewind if pressed when music is being played. I just emailed ibasso for a repair. Since i bought it from mp4nation, I'm not sure if they will cover it. I don't know rather they will cover the shipping cost or not... and how long it will take. If it will take like 1-2 months to repair it... and costs me 60+ dollar to ship back to china... i will just keep what i have and call it bad luck. I can still pause and play music with touch screen.

They are on holiday atm, i doubt i will get any reply until feb 15th

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #10,932 of 18,652
If my opinion on the matter isn't already clear, buying an amplifier to get rid of another amplifier's hiss is throwing good money after bad. The problem isn't the amplifier; it's the headphones. Replace the headphones with something less sensitive and the hissing problem should go away. Here are a couple of tips: sensitivity and impedance do not correlate with sound quality. Neither does price.

As a sort of quick and dirty guide, if you find yourself asking if you need an outboard amplifier then you probably don't need one. Conversely, if you know you need one then you wouldn't be asking, although you might ask for suggestions about which amplifier provides specific functions and features that you want. The purpose of an amplifier is, as the name indicates, to amplify a signal. That is to say, more power. DX50 delivers more than enough power to drive nearly any headphone up to around 300 ohms nominal impedance to deafening volume levels. Some calculations on that point that I did a few weeks back:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/679473/the-ibasso-dx50-thread-latest-firmware-1-2-8/10275#post_10172331

Fiio E12 is considered to be inferior to DX50's amplifier. It doesn't sound as good.

Another tip: there is no "best"; there's only what sounds best to you. Don't be afraid to step up the headphone jack gain. Increasing the gain and reducing the master volume appears to lower the amplifier's noise floor. If it solves any noise problems for a given set of headphones you use then that's best for those headphones and your ears.

You are not entirely right, I have hissing issues with my iems on the player but not on the external amp. Furthermore I have no hissing issues with a difference player using the exact same iems so if the problem is not the internal amp then what is it?

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #10,934 of 18,652
You are not entirely right, I have hissing issues with my iems on the player but not on the external amp. Furthermore I have no hissing issues with a difference player using the exact same iems so if the problem is not the internal amp then what is it?

The problem is that particular combination, not the iem nor the internal amp

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #10,935 of 18,652
The problem is that particular combination, not the iem nor the internal amp

I am not entirely with your reasoning on this one. Amps that hiss with IEMs can rightly be criticized in my view unless the manufacturer is specifically aiming the amp at low sensitivity headphones (for example certain home tube amps). 

I am not focused on the DX50 specifically as I have not used the headphone out much and hissing was not a big issue for me. But in general, some amps hiss more than others. Whether or not you want to call it a problem, it is what it is. It is not just the combination with a specific IEM but rather the nature of the amp itself. That amp is then less versatile for more sensitive IEMs - which for a DAP in particular is an issue for some consumers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back