The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 11, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #961 of 18,652
Seems they will be fixing all the bugs within 2 days. Not sure if that is true or just a crowd control response. Its a bit hard to believe they could fix all bugs in such a short time frame. With new bugs being reported almost everyday

Sure they could fix it, but I doubt they'd be able to thorougly QA it as well, probably leaving the job to us (well us that have it, I'm still on the fence :p)

Sep 11, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #962 of 18,652
I've been pretty lucky I guess?  I haven't heard the reversed channel issue yet, my unit actually remembers the volume level after I turn it back on after I shut off.  I've dealt with one freeze the first time after the initial scan and another time where the touchscreen couldn't respond.....both cases did a battery pull.  Most of the bugs reported seem to be tag related and reading certain symbols in filenames/tags (I got some Japanese music that can't be listened to because the artist name is something that can't be read).....other than that, the player has been solid and extremely quick in response.  I don't think it's going to take more than a couple firmware releases to get this thing fairly solid and then just add back the features like everyone wants like search/playlist etc.  Most important thing, I've been enjoying the sound more and more the more I listen to it.

Sensui I think most of the weird bevhaviors reported to some degreed are caused by the DX50 hanged/forzen by the special characters it failed to handle.

My experience is that if the folder/file have no special char, the DX50 play nice and I have zero issue. Hack even gapless for flac, aac, m4a, etc all worked out of the box, which is already better than ALL my previous experience with audiophile DAPs.

HOWEVER, once I tried to play a file with the ' quotation mark, all hell broke loose and I got the various issues people reported: track won't play (obviously), scanning media screen keep popping up, volume reverted to 120 after restart, there was even one occassion of channel reverse. These issues are "fixed" with long press to shutdown and start up again AND avoiding the problematic track/folder. These periphiral issues also happen after say I tried to use coaxial to output high bit rate tracks.

This behvaior/finding gave me hope that these are indeed fixable relatively shortly as the ROOT cause seems to be the special character handling, and if I put on my aged old programmer hat on the special character 'error"/"event" weren't properly handled and branched off into all sorts of unexpected issues. Then of course it would be much easier if they had handle the special characters in the first place then to put a lot of exception handling codes into the firmware. This is what I suspect the "in 2 days" patch is going to do. They'd probably try to fix this one main issue, and see if they can mitigate a large portion of periphiral issues.

Of course these are all speculation based on my usage with DX50 and I could be way off. FWIW I didn't bother to re-tag or change the filename etc (as I had ALREADY PAINSTAKINGLY done that more than once for the AKs) and will just see how the next firmware handle them. I got enough tracks without issue to enjoy for now.

Cheers

Sep 11, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #963 of 18,652

I've been pretty lucky I guess?  I haven't heard the reversed channel issue yet, my unit actually remembers the volume level after I turn it back on after I shut off.  I've dealt with one freeze the first time after the initial scan and another time where the touchscreen couldn't respond.....both cases did a battery pull.  Most of the bugs reported seem to be tag related and reading certain symbols in filenames/tags (I got some Japanese music that can't be listened to because the artist name is something that can't be read).....other than that, the player has been solid and extremely quick in response.  I don't think it's going to take more than a couple firmware releases to get this thing fairly solid and then just add back the features like everyone wants like search/playlist etc.  Most important thing, I've been enjoying the sound more and more the more I listen to it.

Sensui I think most of the weird bevhaviors reported to some degreed are caused by the DX50 hanged/forzen by the special characters it failed to handle.

My experience is that if the folder/file have no special char, the DX50 play nice and I have zero issue. Hack even gapless for flac, aac, m4a, etc all worked out of the box, which is already better than ALL my previous experience with audiophile DAPs.

HOWEVER, once I tried to play a file with the ' quotation mark, all hell broke loose and I got the various issues people reported: track won't play (obviously), scanning media screen keep popping up, volume reverted to 120 after restart, there was even one occassion of channel reverse. These issues are "fixed" which long press to shutdown and start up again AND avoiding the problematic track/folder. These periphiral issues also happen after say I tried to use coaxial to output bit bit rate tracks.

This behvaior/finding gave me hope that these are indeed fixable relatively shortly as the ROOT seems to be the special character handling, and if I put on my aged old programmer hat the special character 'error"/"event" weren't properly handled and branched off into all sorts of issues. Then of course it would be much easier if they had handle the special characters in the first place then to put a lot of exception handling codes into the firmware. This is what I suspect the "in 2 days" patch is going to do. They'd probably try to fix this one main issue, and see if they can mitigate a large portion of issues.

Of course these are all speculation based on my usage with DX50 and I could be way off. FWIW I didn't bother to re-tag or change the filename etc (as I had ALREADY PAINSTAKINGLY done that more than once for the AKs) and will just see how the next firmware handle them. I got enough tracks without issue to enjoy for now.

Cheers

man that means i better go clean up those tags of mine! problem is i spend too much time listening to it rather than taking my ciems off and go about with the house cleaning of the tags :p

Sep 11, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #964 of 18,652
Cleaning up the tags/file names definitively makes a huge difference with the dap experience and enjoyment, too bad it's something they did not catch off the bat, it would have made a bigger impact on the first dap impression.

For me though I wanted to clean them up but always put it off because of my players not caring about their quirkiness, although a quote is just normal should not choke over that.

Sep 11, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #965 of 18,652

man that means i better go clean up those tags of mine! problem is i spend too much time listening to it rather than taking my ciems off and go about with the house cleaning of the tags :p

Let's not forget you were suppose to use that time to actually clean the house :wink:.

Sep 11, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #966 of 18,652
What is the optimal size for album art to be displayed on the DX50?? Since all my album art is 600 X 600 and I read somewhere that DX50 does not recognize album art above the size of 500 X 500...Is that correct??
I would really appreciate if someone could confirm this, so that I can go about downloading new artwork before my DX50 arrives.

Sep 11, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #967 of 18,652

HOWEVER, once I tried to play a file with the ' quotation mark, all hell broke loose and I got the various issues people reported: track won't play (obviously), scanning media screen keep popping up, volume reverted to 120 after restart, there was even one occassion of channel reverse. These issues are "fixed" with long press to shutdown and start up again AND avoiding the problematic track/folder. These periphiral issues also happen after say I tried to use coaxial to output high bit rate tracks.

This behvaior/finding gave me hope that these are indeed fixable relatively shortly as the ROOT cause seems to be the special character handling, and if I put on my aged old programmer hat on the special character 'error"/"event" weren't properly handled and branched off into all sorts of unexpected issues. Then of course it would be much easier if they had handle the special characters in the first place then to put a lot of exception handling codes into the firmware. This is what I suspect the "in 2 days" patch is going to do. They'd probably try to fix this one main issue, and see if they can mitigate a large portion of periphiral issues.

Cheers

It's not just that symbol that is the problem. There are problems with numerical numbering of tracks, and there is absolutely something else going on with flacs. I played 320 mp3's without a problem that have a ' but not flacs? Then there are tracks with simple names like BELIEVE.flac that I have that won't play, but another flac will play. I've sent song examples to them so we'll see what they have to say. 

Sep 11, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #969 of 18,652
Can anyone tell me how long this will take to get to Australia if I buy now and its shipped on Monday?

Maybe you'll receive by the end of that week?

Sep 11, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #971 of 18,652
What is the optimal size for album art to be displayed on the DX50?? Since all my album art is 600 X 600 and I read somewhere that DX50 does not recognize album art above the size of 500 X 500...Is that correct??

I would really appreciate if someone could confirm this, so that I can go about downloading new artwork before my DX50 arrives.

The 500x500 limitation is for AK100/AK120.

Since I've "cleaned" all of mine to 499x499 for the AK, I cannot confirm if larger artwork works on DX50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back