The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 11, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #946 of 18,652
So no one else is finding the performance very bright/treble happy/sharp?

And no one else has buttons that have very different levels of resistance?

At least other people have the channel reversal.... Sighs... Thinking about returning this, eating the shipping/tax losses and getting an X3.

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #949 of 18,652
  for those who keen to bring spare battery and swap to your dx50 when the 1st battery run out....you will have the battery indicator display wrong battery status..and here is the replied from ibasso~

Dont know about other people, but to me, the explanation from iBasso is kind of b*ll. You mean if i plug in another battery, i wont know if it is 10%, 50% or 90% full?

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #950 of 18,652

At least other people have the channel reversal.... Sighs... Thinking about returning this, eating the shipping/tax losses and getting an X3.

My right button is very inconsistent compared to my other buttons.
Honestly I'm stashing my DX50 away until they release a new firmware within the 2 days.

There's way too many glitches for me to properly enjoy this player and I end up more frustrated than actually enjoying the music.

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #952 of 18,652
Seems they will be fixing all the bugs within 2 days. Not sure if that is true or just a crowd control response. Its a bit hard to believe they could fix all bugs in such a short time frame. With new bugs being reported almost everyday

Probably a little of everything.  I think they have been saying 2 days for the last few days.  So, i would not be surprised if the update is not available literally in 2 days.  In addition, they were probably aware of some of the bugs already.   They could have been working on an update even before they shipped out the first batch too.

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #953 of 18,652
Just got mine in today. So far, no hiccups. SD card loaded up fine, and no freezing yet. Initial impressions are good. Off pure SQ judgments the AK120 is still a few notches above the DX50, but I'm really impressed with this player that costs fractions less. Right now, I feel content. So much so that I'm thinking that the AK120 will be up for sale really soon...

Eric pls do it! DO IT NOW! so I won't be the only lunatics who "downgraded" from AK120 to DX50.... :D

Sold my AK120 for slightly more than 48 hrs now and haven't yet missed it. Made me wonder why I detoured to AK100 and AK120 from DX100 in the first place....

Well, at least my HM901 is still staying and gave me nice options between SQ/portability.....

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #954 of 18,652

The brightness and sharpness  could depend on the headphone pairing and relative to what the person is migrating from.  For instance, my AK100 is brighter than the DX.  So, it doesn't seem too bright to me.  On the other hand, it is brighter than my sansa clip.  I actually like the brightness of my AK, and I miss that in the DX.  I do agree with you though to an extent. I find something unlikable about the treble presentation.  I find it quite fatiguing.  Even though the treble extension and presence on the AK is bigger than the DX, I find it quite pleasing because it is very clean and coherent.

The only problems I had were with the volume buttons.   I noticed that, if i just long press it immediately to change the volume up or down, it often does not work.   It works fine on a second press.  This might though be an undocumented behavior - I guess it is all undocumented because there is no manual - to prevent accidental volume increases.

I feel for you.  I considered returning the device too.   The UI is so horrible that it is actually faster to navigate to the music I want on my clip - and it doesn't even have a touchscreen.  However, I will keep it because I only intended this to be a step up from my sansa clip.   I had small hopes that it might be good enough to replace my AK100 and also keep me from wanting to try out the AK120.  In any case, you better check their return policy.  I seem to recall that they have a relatively short period for returns.

Sep 11, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #955 of 18,652
I got a response from iBasso about the ' symbol in a song. I am not sure that is the only reason a track is being skipped. I have a LOT that aren't being recognized...but I'll make some adjustments for now and we'll see.

Sep 11, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #956 of 18,652
I've been pretty lucky I guess?  I haven't heard the reversed channel issue yet, my unit actually remembers the volume level after I turn it back on after I shut off.  I've dealt with one freeze the first time after the initial scan and another time where the touchscreen couldn't respond.....both cases did a battery pull.  Most of the bugs reported seem to be tag related and reading certain symbols in filenames/tags (I got some Japanese music that can't be listened to because the artist name is something that can't be read).....other than that, the player has been solid and extremely quick in response.  I don't think it's going to take more than a couple firmware releases to get this thing fairly solid and then just add back the features like everyone wants like search/playlist etc.  Most important thing, I've been enjoying the sound more and more the more I listen to it.

Sep 11, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #957 of 18,652

I noticed that too however you may want to hold onto it, granted the UI has issues and the reversal problem for some folks, the sound quality is very good considering how much the dap is and I found that if you pair it with the right amp, the brightness is quite attenuated and becomes very enjoyable, that way I can listen to it for hours. You might get used to it once you keep using it, I found myself increasing my listening time without the amp. You can always use the EQ if that is something you don't mind using. As far as the button issue, I do not have it so might just be my unit. Note that as you use your buttons more and more, they will settle. With due time they will eventually iron out their firmware bugs. If you still strongly feel that you want to return it by all means use your 14 day no questions asked return policy.

Sep 11, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #958 of 18,652
I've been pretty lucky I guess?  I haven't heard the reversed channel issue yet, my unit actually remembers the volume level after I turn it back on after I shut off.  I've dealt with one freeze the first time after the initial scan and another time where the touchscreen couldn't respond.... I've been enjoying the sound more and more the more I listen to it.

My experience has been very similar, I used to have a bit more freezing but once I cleaned up my tags things have been working out better since.

Sep 11, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #959 of 18,652
Mine's on the 3rd batch I hope they sort some of the issues before shipping mine out.

I have one question. I have a PB2 and like the sound a lot, I wonder if the DX50 has a similar sound?

Another question if I may, for those that have heard the PB2s.
The PB2 is has a very detailed, airy, brightest, metallicish sound which I like, would you say it has the iBasso "house" sound? (the PB2s were my first iBasso product)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back