The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 22, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #9,031 of 18,652
I have tried the DX50 with Hidition NT6, Rooth LS8, Fischer Audio DBA02. The background hiss is obvious with no music (not a problem), and equally obvious with music (a huge problem). This might not be an issue for others, but my usual listening level is 140-150 on low gain in a quiet room, and up to 170 on low gain when I am out on the streets or driving. Usually 160 is plenty loud for me.

Today I decided to take an old iPhone 3G out as my music player instead. I find myself actually having a more enjoyable experience because the background hiss is very much nonexistent (practically inaudible) compared to DX50 (intrusive). Although the details, separation, clarity is nowhere near the DX50, I am actually enjoying the music rather than wishing the hiss is gone.

Don't get me wrong, I use the DX50 a lot, until I found the iPhone 3G lying around yesterday. Loaded it up and I think this just might be my on-the-go device until I can get an impedance adaptor to test with the DX50 HO.

At home, I have no hesitation using the DX50 LO to the JDS assembled O2 on 1x gain (might mod it to go 0.5x, but I'm not sure if i can do it for just one gain setting without affecting the 2.5x gain). The black background is a high priority for me and undoubtedly, the DX50 performs spectacularly with the O2.

The DX100's UI is not that bad, it's not smooth as other android devices but it works as it needs to be :wink: sorry for the OT. But the short battery life may kill you.

As for the hissing of the DX50, I used the Arrow to fix the hiss and it adds the least bulk IMO. Haven't tried the E6 or Firestone.

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #9,032 of 18,652
Putting the resolution of DX50 aside , which it does have good aspects I still found C3 to have superior seperation as a single attribute or technical area. That was one thing I picked up on, I also found the soundstage wider on C3 but, I think DX50 is a more musical and higher resolution listening experience . I just couldn't handle the instruments smearing and narrow stage compared to C3 or even further the hisound players , it was clearly obvious the were stronger in those areas, why I sold the iBasso in the end, partly why anyway.

Good to know that it wasn't just me... the Colorfly C3 to me is the better sounding player. In my opinion of course.

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #9,036 of 18,652
Good to know that it wasn't just me... the Colorfly C3 to me is the better sounding player. In my opinion of course.

Personally my Colorfly C3 is back in the box and up for sale. YMMV

Dec 23, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #9,038 of 18,652
I continue to be just amazed by the DX50 1.2.6 + Pico Power + Heaven VI. Sound-wise it is approaching 'end game' good for a portable in my view. Of course, we never get there. :)

iBasso just has to leave the sound as it is and fix the gapless.

However the DX50 is not my favorite source to feed the Kaede. That is better with a mellower DAC like the Philip TDA1545 in USB Monica.

So synergy is always important. That is one of the reasons not everyone is going to have the same impressions. We are not using the same equipment.

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #9,039 of 18,652
  Maybe we can call it the prestidigitator, now you see it now you don't. I would have expected this user to provide some minor review as a strict minimum.
4Sd2Va

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #9,040 of 18,652
DX50 so far with my HD600 are giving me hours of countless pleasure. The only thing I worry now is what I play. Amp wise with the DX50 LO is without a doubt the way to go. As to which amp, each contributes to my complete enjoyment. For reasonable portability, you can use the HO alone but I still prefer using my Pico Slim with my Shure iems (SE215 is good enough commuting). Then home I can use the Pico power or the RSA Intruder with the HD600 or the SE535 although the Intruder and SE535 work much better together, a better synergy.

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #9,041 of 18,652
I continue to be stunned by the DX50 1.1.6 + Pico Power + Heaven VI.

You mean 1.2.6 right? You just reminded what I forgot to do from the recent Mook. I am suppose to try the pico power. I just totally forgot until it was too late. I'm curious to hear pico power with DX50 and based from your mini review it must be a good pair.

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #9,042 of 18,652
Wow someone mention a Srensiim I/C. Nice way to put it.

Guess you are becoming popular with your professionally crafted I/C. :wink:

I tried making different I/Cs and for me the following work best:

They are very flexible, quite short but perfect for pretty much any amp thickness, so they adapt themselves pretty good on that count. :)

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #9,043 of 18,652

I continue to be stunned by the DX50 1.1.6 + Pico Power + Heaven VI.

You mean 1.2.6 right? You just reminded what I forgot to do from the recent Mook. I am suppose to try the pico power. I just totally forgot until it was too late. I'm curious to hear pico power with DX50 and based from your mini review it must be a good pair.

Yep. Corrected. Thanks!

And yes, it is a very good pairing.  

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #9,044 of 18,652
Wow someone mention a Srensiim I/C. Nice way to put it.

Guess you are becoming popular with your professionally crafted I/C.
wink.gif

I tried differen making different I/Cs and for me the following work best:

They are very flexible, quite short but perfect for pretty much any amp thickness, so they adapt themselves pretty good on that count.
smily_headphones1.gif

Very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back