The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 22, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #9,016 of 18,652
i just got it,he'd have to be committed to updating stuff. It also seems like as soon as he posted a picture,thank you
DlK22p

absolutely spot on, amping dx50 gives amazing result. what pains me is that it makes dx50 combo too bulky and kills idea of DAP only solution, many hoped dx50 would be ultimate killer as stand alone, but as it happens amping is the way to go. for this reason i keep RWAK which can it all even when not amped and amping RWAK is mostly about cherry picking rather than a necessity.

on the other hand c3 has some analogue push to it and midcentric character makes music easy flowing, but alias c3 needs amping too.

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #9,017 of 18,652
  maybe Im deaf but I don't get any hiss with my w4r!? (brand new, a couple of hours use)

I get hiss with the UE7's on low and mid gain but it pretty much goes away on high gain...FWIW

low gain is the way to go on dx50 for high fidelity sound.

another advice i would suggest is turn on EQ and set all sliders to zero, cleans sound good way. with EQ set off i feel dx50 FW boosts some frequences in unwanted way and may cause for hissing.

See above, for me the best is high gain...YMMV

Dec 22, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #9,018 of 18,652
H20, in my experience amping dx50 lifts the bar very high, so line out is far superior to c3 amped. without amping dx50 will be more aggressive and overimposing so you have a point here. C3 is midcentric and organic sounding DAP which can do some things very right and i love it. But amp your dx50 with line out and the game will be over :wink:

I just feel technical areas like soundstage, obvious separation and transparency are what makes an audiophile player. I can understand someone may listen to both DX50 and C3 but choose DX50 instantly because they're listening to the first thing that jumps out at them, the resolution, unfortunately there's a lot more to sound quality. For example. If I have an IEM that's extremely advanced in instrument separation, one that excels in that area or soundstage the iBasso wasn't extracting its full performance and to some extent actually limiting those areas

I did amp DX50 with T1 and BH , the improvements weren't enough, again in those areas I require. :frowning2:.

Dec 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #9,019 of 18,652
H20, if i am not mistaken at that time you told that T1 copy you had was faulty? also i use 1p2 which is top rated universal CIEM by many.

that's not to talk C3 down, you know i still have C3 and no plans selling it, so it says a lot. C3 is stupidly cheap and stunningly good DAP.

you also must consider that dx50 more than twice and still needs another 260$ for amping, so admitedly a 500$ + combo must sound better then than a 100$ DAP... But C3 would tick many boxes and one important for me is analogue easiness and fluidity. What i assume you did not like was IEM synergy with dx50 and i admit that neither my v1 nor H200 liked dx50 but surprisingly v1 was even less a problem but H200 was a no go on dx50 for me. dx50 pairing is not trivial issue because of its overly spicy and aggressive amp section :frowning2:

Dec 22, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #9,020 of 18,652
 I am amping the DX50 with a Xin Supermacro 3 with OPA627 and it is starting to blow me away...simply stunning!

The SM 3 was and is one of my all time favorites. Very transparent and a joy to listen to.

Dec 22, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #9,021 of 18,652
You're missing the entire point here Gintaras , so I'm just going stop. This isn't a battle or debate about me trying to say C3 is a better player or amping or how much the players are worth, what you can do with them. It was about the lacking technical ability I personally found in DX50. Anyway, you enjoy your iBasso. I'll stick with my hisound players.

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #9,022 of 18,652
You're missing the entire point here Gintaras , so I'm just going stop. This isn't a battle or debate about me trying to say C3 is a better player or amping or how much the players are worth, what you can do with them. It was about the lacking technical ability I personally found in DX50. Anyway, you enjoy your iBasso. I'll stick with my hisound players.

and i will stick to my RWAK :D

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #9,024 of 18,652
Just because a certain device is not one mans cup of tea does not mean it will hold true for another man.

Back on topic I am considering sending the 50 back in as I am searching for an all in one that will not hiss with sensitive iems. I have read alot of great things about the 100 however the interface may kill it for me.

Dec 22, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #9,025 of 18,652
Back on topic I am considering sending the 50 back in as I am searching for an all in one that will not hiss with sensitive iems. I have read alot of great things about the 100 however the interface may kill it for me.

Its interesting, i do wish that the dx50 was less hissy with iems as well. But i usually amp it so its not a problem. Without an amp though i find that the line out had a cleaner sound than the headphone out with less hiss... And considering the ability to change the volume even with line out it seems to work well. Ofc ive only done that once or twice so idk how much the sound is affected with that

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #9,029 of 18,652
Just because a certain device is not one mans cup of tea does not mean it will hold true for another man.

The DX100's UI is not that bad, it's not smooth as other android devices but it works as it needs to be :wink: sorry for the OT. But the short battery life may kill you.

As for the hissing of the DX50, I used the Arrow to fix the hiss and it adds the least bulk IMO. Haven't tried the E6 or Firestone.

Dec 22, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #9,030 of 18,652
DX50, JDS Labs C5, DIY Neutrik with 7N UP-OCC interconnect, and InEar Stagediver SD3. Lots of electronic music, house, dance and chillout stuff.More and more HDtracks stuff as I get it, mainly FLAC for everything else. No hiss, UI seems OK on 1.2.5, and gapless is perfect. Touchscreen is a bit over sensitive when trying to scroll and accidentally opening albums. But coming from a Colorfly C3 this setup is awesome. I don't care about the extra bulk, although an Arrow may be slimmer. Not sure how an arrow would compare on battery life and SQ. Really happy with this setup, will make a Sorensiim I/C soon as more neutriks come, but that'll do until I get customs, and I don't even know where to start with those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back