The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 5, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #6,151 of 18,652
Well my warranty is out the door now I put some better caps in the dap and I have a dap that sounds way way different than the original, should I care to say more defined, highs are crisp and the bass is so tight, seems that now the dap is pretty much back to 1.1.2 but the mid and high bands clearer. The cymbals seem to have a nice sheen to it. Not knowing any better this starts sounding like a double Wolfson, nah maybe not quite. Now I can claim I have no electrolytic caps in the dap any longer. The funny thing is that I can use my hd600 right on the line out and they get driven and I have not even top off the volume.

Well here is a photo of the internal with my new caps (I covered them up with electrical tape to avoid any potential shorts), the other two are inside and I am not going to take the board off again. :)

Those are oxycaps and they sound amazing in the iMod but they sound way better in the DX50 :gs1000smile:

Here are the electrolytic caps removed on the side of the DX50.

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #6,152 of 18,652
^^^Maybe a mod service you should offer...

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #6,153 of 18,652
^^^Maybe a mod service you should offer...

:)

Lol that takes a lot of time, I started getting the caps ready a week ago and I got to work among that so not sure there is a future there but I am sure there are some head-fi members like myself curious about how else we can improve the dap. :wink:

Cracking the DX50 is a tad scary some of the parts need to be removed and others you gotta be careful not to break anything, plasticky stuff in there.

Nov 5, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #6,157 of 18,652
I couldn't resist, someone offer me 2nd hand ibasso PB2 in good conition and good price, since I can't found any 2nd hand D12 in my country.
I hope I making good decision on it.

Nov 5, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #6,158 of 18,652
I couldn't resist, someone offer me 2nd hand ibasso PB2 in good conition and good price, since I can't found any 2nd hand D12 in my country.
I hope I making good decision on it.

I`m also considering that amp, so please share your experiences, especially if you go balanced !

Nov 5, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #6,159 of 18,652
D H L  S U X   !   !  

So the frustration continues.  iBasso shipped my 7th batch dx50 a day earlier than promised.  DHL has excellent tracking, so I could follow its speedy progress through HK and then Tokyo`s customs center. Unfortunately DHL is not so excellent at actually delivering packages:  It was in their shipping depot on Friday, but didn`t come on Saturday, then Sun/Mon they weren`t working at all, and finally they tried to deliver it Tuesday, yesterday, but at 11:30 AM while I was at work.  I called and they don`t offer any night deliveries (I work until around 8pm, like everyone else in Tokyo)  They suggested next Saturday.  

Sorry for the rant, but I am going nuts here ! 

Enjoying, vicariously, all your good and bad experiences.  

d

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #6,160 of 18,652
iBasso are good communicators with answers to questions. Prompt and personalised. Thought some might be interested to my questions and their responses...

The numbered points are my original questions. The hyphen points their responses and the Red my comment in reply.

Subject: iBasso Audio

Hi,
Thank you for your email.
1. Please add a ##% to the battery meter like shown in your device images on the product page.
-----We dont have a good solution for % battery meter.  We tried this on the DX100, but it doesnt work well.
Understand… I have a DX100 as well, but feel it is still better than just the battery graphic. I do realise that battery life is getting a lot of comment on Head-Fi.

2. Please add the Track number of available tracks. Eg for an Album with 12 tracks it would show 1/12 for the first track, 2/12 for the second and so on. 
-----We will consider this in the future firmware update.
That would be great. Knowing how many tracks to go in a playlist/album is very useful. At present, if you go back to My Music you can get an idea but if you browse another album or directory then go Home to the playback page you lose track of where you are up to.

3. Can the resolution of album art be improved? I don't think images display in the native resolution.
------The album art has to be re-sized to fit the DX50. 
 As you can see, the space for the album art in the DX50 is very limited.
Not an issue, just would look nicer.

4. The Gapless indicator seems to have disappeared from the status bar on this version 1.2.3.
----There is not gapless indicator in the previous firmware.
Sorry! Got my DAPs mixed up. I showed on my recently sold AK100 and got the two UIs confused. No need to implement IMO.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #6,161 of 18,652
cannot wait for my dx50, ordered on 24/10 from mp4nation and still in processing status :frowning2:

meanwhile i hope ibasso will issue fw update supporting cue lists ... and i pray for 128G sc cards to come soon.

I'm in the same boat. They say they haven't gotten their shipment from ibasso yet, and they'll ship it out when they do. Of course, I can still cancel my order before they do ship, but I'll give them another week before possibly exercising that option.

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #6,162 of 18,652
Those are oxycaps and they sound amazing in the iMod but they sound way better in the DX50
gs1000.gif

Here are the electrolytic caps removed on the side of the DX50.

Good cap choice. I might do a bypass mod with OxiCaps or maybe Wima film later on as well.

That's a far cry from the less than 0.5 ohm they advertise on their web site.

Question: can you explain to me how you plan to measure the impedance, that is what source are you gonna use, the load and are you going to measure the impedance from both channels?

Thanks in advance.
smily_headphones1.gif

I measure output impedance the same way NwAvGuys described in his blog (which is a pretty standard way of measuring output impedance anyway, here is another explanation: http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Theory/inzoz.htm). The source is of course the DX50 itself, loaded with a 1kHz pure tone (NwAvGuys uses 100Hz but I though 1kHz is more commonly used). The loads are dummy 23.5ohm and 47ohm load (to double confirm the result). There is no reason to measure both channels since the chance of a different result is very slim. Usually I'll just measure the left channels.

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #6,163 of 18,652
I measure output impedance the same way NwAvGuys described in his blog (which is a pretty standard way of measuring output impedance anyway, here is another explanation: http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Theory/inzoz.htm). The source is of course the DX50 itself, loaded with a 1kHz pure tone (NwAvGuys uses 100Hz but I though 1kHz is more commonly used). The loads are dummy 23.5ohm and 47ohm load (to double confirm the result). There is no reason to measure both channels since the chance of a different result is very slim. Usually I'll just measure the left channels.

mmm just curious... do "Gain" switch affects impedance? did u check?

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #6,164 of 18,652
Good cap choice. I might do a bypass mod with OxiCaps or maybe Wima film later on as well.

If you intend to use a film cap, you'll have to remember those have lower capacitance than the oxycaps which will require sizes that won't fit in the enclosure. If you need to maintain the same capacitance and space, the oxycaps are your only choice. I do not include any other materials that would require a smaller package size as there are not that many. If you really want to try the film type and you don't mind having a lower capacitance, the Kemet is a better choice than Wima.

Thanks I am aware of his technique, he does mention 60 hz sound signal instead of 100 mainly because of a digital multi meter being precise around that frequency when measuring a voltage. I can see this to be good for a specific measuring point on the frequency scale versus load, now I would still measure it for both channels to actually confirm they are balanced, I guess that is just my curiosity at play. Thanks for sharing the details and please do share your results.

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #6,165 of 18,652
New rig!

DX50 (1.2.3b) --> coaxial --> Fiio E17  --> Fiio E09K --> Beyer DT1350

It's strange that the treble "distortion" (to me) seems improved after I flash it back to 1.2.2, and then to 1.2.3b again.
Human brain is magic. lol
To me the 1.2.3b sound is now not that annoying, but warmer, more laidback, bigger soundstage, but also lose some resolution.
Of course this rig is not portable and is intended to pair with yet-to-come Beyer T90. 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back