The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 5, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #6,121 of 18,652
DrGonzo,

I'm new to the DX50 (1 week) and I use iTunes exclusively (on Macbook) to manage my music and have all of my lossless files as ALAC up to 24/96. The DX50 plays the ALAC just fine. No issues I'm aware of other than a slight UI bug that dislays them as 32 bit instead of 24 bit.

I have had zero problems with the DX50 reading and playing my entire library. No media scanning issues, no hang-ups, all artwork showing etc. I have ALAC, AAC and some old MP3. All play fine.

When loading up my Sandisk 64GB micro SDXC card, I simply dragged and dropped all of my artist files that are in the "Music" folder. Using the DX50 directory function, I navigate by the artist folders. Simple. The "all Music" sorted by artist, album etc. works too, but I prefer the directory.

I'm more than happy wth the performance of the DX50 and leveraging the files iTunes creates keeps my life simple.

Scott

Edit:
PS, after re-reading your post, you mention that iTunes only supports 16/44. It supports the 24bit high res files too but Airplay only supports 16/44 and if you want to use an external DAC (with Mac) you'll need an App like Bitperfect to automatically control the MIDI settings to output the proper bitrate to the USB DAC. It's wierd that iTunes doesn't do that but Bitperfect does.

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #6,122 of 18,652
Ironically I find the 1.2.3_beta to be the most stable firmware so far, but the jury is still out regarding the sound signature changes.

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #6,123 of 18,652
I'll get my DX50 next week (hopefully). Will do some basic measurement if anyone is interested, but I have no reason to doubt the impedance number iBasso has given.

On side note, 100 ohm @ line-out is fine, actually a little higher is okay as well. But it is not meant to drive any load.

Glad to see you join the team, looking forward to your measurements of the DX50!

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #6,124 of 18,652
  I'll get my DX50 next week (hopefully). Will do some basic measurement if anyone is interested, but I have no reason to doubt the impedance number iBasso has given.

On side note, 100 ohm @ line-out is fine, actually a little higher is okay as well. But it is not meant to drive any load.

Great, waiting for your review :) Please check out the sound differences between 1.2.2 and 1.2.3 beta (or stable, I hope sound stays).

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #6,125 of 18,652

Thanks for taking the time to make those measurements, you can always merge your results in the FAQ section as mentioned on the first page.

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #6,126 of 18,652

Will be very interested. Would you mind checking the headphone out's impedance as well as if it suffers from roll offs of any kind?

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #6,127 of 18,652
I've been listening to my DX50 for couple hours over the last 4 days, mostly with ciems, and I'm quite happy so far. No crashes or any other problems. Play/pause is slow as heck tho, but that really doesn't matter unless I play around testing the sound.

Colleagues at work are a bit baffled what that big old fashioned thing is.. They are used to listening to streaming music/watching videos with their phones.. No pressure to loan it to anyone:D

Regarding the beta FW, I'll be waiting a while. No problems and I prefer the way it sounds as it is.

Quickstep should be here any day now, btw:)

Nov 5, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #6,128 of 18,652
  Will be very interested. Would you mind checking the headphone out's impedance as well as if it suffers from roll offs of any kind?

Sure.

No sure if this has been posted (in Russia): http://personalaudio.ru/detail/ibasso_dx50_v_sravnenii_s_c4_pro_ck4_dx100_ak100_i_ak120/

The output impedance seems to be around 2.8ohm according to their measurement.

Nov 5, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #6,129 of 18,652
Updated to 1.2.3beta, battery been going on strong for 6 hours+ now. No significant increase in battery drain. 

Nov 5, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #6,130 of 18,652
Sure.

No sure if this has been posted (in Russia): http://personalaudio.ru/detail/ibasso_dx50_v_sravnenii_s_c4_pro_ck4_dx100_ak100_i_ak120/

The output impedance seems to be around 2.8ohm according to their measurement.

That's a far cry from the less than 0.5 ohm they advertise on their web site.

Question: can you explain to me how you plan to measure the impedance, that is what source are you gonna use, the load and are you going to measure the impedance from both channels?

Thanks in advance. :)

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #6,132 of 18,652

Can I add even more storage?

Yes you can, but it won't be pretty. The cheap and easy solution is to use a USB OTG cable to add a USB pendrive. Please note that the DX50 will not index music stored via OTG and you will have to access your music via the "directory" option rather than having it sorted by artist/album etc.

One more question about the DX50; concerning adding storage.  The above is quoted from the DX50 FAQ article, which I find a little confusing.  I have a little over 50gb of music on my ipod which I would like to use if I get the DX50, so I plan on getting a 64gb microSD card.  Will this not work with the DX50 according to the above quote or am I missing something?

Thanks again.

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #6,133 of 18,652

One more question about the DX50; concerning adding storage.  The above is quoted from the DX50 FAQ article, which I find a little confusing.  I have a little over 50gb of music on my ipod which I would like to use if I get the DX50, so I plan on getting a 64gb microSD card.  Will this not work with the DX50 according to the above quote or am I missing something?

Thanks again.

There are 3 storage options on the DX50:
1) the built in 8GB
2) the microSD slot with a user supplied microSD
3) the microUSB for OTG devices

Using a 64gb microSD card will be fine. if you want EVEN MORE storage, then you will have to use a portable hard drive with a OTG cable and connect it to the microUSB port.

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #6,134 of 18,652

There are 3 storage options on the DX50:
1) the built in 8GB
2) the microSD slot with a user supplied microSD
3) the microUSB for OTG devices

Using a 64gb microSD card will be fine. if you want EVEN MORE storage, then you will have to use a portable hard drive with a OTG cable and connect it to the microUSB port.

Oh OK, got it.  Thanks ngyu for clearing that up.  And thank you musicheaven for your reply earlier.  Everyone on head-fi is so awesome!

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #6,135 of 18,652

Thanks again.

If you use the microSD in the microSD slot, then it behaves like the internal memory and you can use it to scan your media which will be saved in the dap database. This will allow you to use the genre artist, etc.. classification and only a full scan will be needed to get all of the tag references in your files stored on it. What the OTG is, is very different. It allows you to use external medium like USB drive or even an external drive to be used through the USB port of the DX50 as a storage media accessible by the player. But with the limitations stated above.

I hope that helps.

I guess I got late on the explanation :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back