The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 5, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #6,106 of 18,652
  I wish they will leave some kind of "engeneer menu", but i bet they willn't

I asked them if they could add something called "Player Configurations" menu and then underneath it add this roll off selection and possibly other setups as well when it is felt it is needed.
I'd be very surprise they will, somehow the easy simple way for them is it to just sell them as hot cakes and then move on. I gather if I was an electronics shop I would most likely emphasize the hardware release instead of software, it's all about financial and economy of scale. But again, this is not an Apple Computer corporation where those guys have an army of developers to add features to the dap, not to mention decent QA and manual to boot. So let's be happy they are as responsive as one can hope for a very small company.

Nov 5, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #6,107 of 18,652
Hello
regular_smile .gif

Anyone has issue to turn it on? Sometimes mine stays in the iBasso welcome screen for long, sometimes the screen stays black. I have to shut it down (long press on the on/off button) to restart it.

Thanks!

Fabrice

I can't let "Media scanning" stuff does its job.
If "Media scanning" is completely done on my SD card, next time I start the DX50 I get the welcome screen for ... forever ....
In this case, the only way to sort out is to wipe data + reset factory settings.

That means I can't use tag navigation but only directory/file navigation.

DON'T LET THE DX50 SCAN YOUR SD CARD !!! :-D

I had the same issue after I installed 1.2.3 Beta. Wiped and reset a couple times... Same problem. Reinstalled the update from scratch and while the media scan took about an hour on my nearly full 64gb microSD, the device came up fine and have been trouble free since.

Suggest anyone experiencing the lockup on the boot screen to apply the update a second time.

Nov 5, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #6,108 of 18,652
  I asked them if they could add something called "Player Configurations" menu and then underneath it add this roll off selection and possibly other setups as well when it is felt it is needed.
I'd be very surprise they will, somehow the easy simple way for them is it to just sell them as hot cakes and then move on. I gather if I was an electronics shop I would most likely emphasize the hardware release instead of software, it's all about financial and economy of scale. But again, this is not an Apple Computer corporation where those guys have an army of developers to add features to the dap, not to mention decent QA and manual to boot. So let's be happy they are as responsive as one can hope for a very small company.

From the other side.. it's rockchip, it's android...may be somebody will root it.. and add functionality

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #6,110 of 18,652
The specs do not mention anything about the output impedance of the line out but with a higher signal to noise ratio and a high 1.5 volt RMS I don't think driving them is going to be an issue (iems that is), the headphone out though has the amp behind it's back so it'll be easier for it to do so. The best thing to do is to try it and see. I know that you'll get a higher sound amplitude on the HO. I plugged my momentum on the LO and controlled the volume and the amp was not necessary. I don't like using the DX50 amp because it does not seem to sound as good as my pico amp.

According to iBasso answer, the output impedance of Line Out is 100 Ohm. It's a little bit too much for IEMs, don't you think? :wink: But, I haven't checked it yet.

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #6,111 of 18,652
I had the same issue after I installed 1.2.3 Beta. Wiped and reset a couple times... Same problem. Reinstalled the update from scratch and while the media scan took about an hour on my nearly full 64gb microSD, the device came up fine and have been trouble free since.

Suggest anyone experiencing the lockup on the boot screen to apply the update a second time.

Thanks, I will try.

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #6,112 of 18,652
According to iBasso answer, the output impedance of Line Out is 100 Ohm. It's a little bit too much for IEMs, don't you think? :wink: But, I haven't checked it yet.

Definitively is. I have pulled my multimeter out of my toolkit and at rest I get 2 Kohms from the HO versus 30 Kohms from the LO. Don't ask me why I get such a high value when apparently it should have less than 1 ohm. It might be related to the fact the they were looking at the active load. But in terms of proportion, it seems to be 15 times higher than the HO. Again, I don't know if it would keep this ratio once active. I got the impression that is might not be 100 but more like 15 to 30 ohms. Don't quote me on that though.

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #6,113 of 18,652
Definitively is. I have pulled my multimeter out of my toolkit and at rest I get 2 Kohms from the HO versus 30 Kohms from the LO. Don't ask me why I get such a high value when apparently it should have less than 1 ohm. It might be related to the fact the they were looking at the active load. But in terms of proportion, it seems to be 15 times higher than the HO. Again, I don't know if it would keep this ratio once active. I got the impression that is might not be 100 but more like 15 to 30 ohms. Don't quote me on that though.

I've only asked iBasso about output impedance, nothing more. Just to be sure. But I'm still curious how it will sound with Etymotics ER4p or HF3, and I will check it as soon as I get back my DX50 (miss it so much...) :wink:

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #6,114 of 18,652
Hello all,

I was hoping all you wonderful DX50 owners can provided me some insight and advice as I am contemplating on purchasing the DX50 to replace my iPod Classic (7th Gen 160gb); as I am searching for better sound than the iPod (sounds a little congested and sometimes grainy).  I've been searching this thread and reading as many pages as I can, as well as read through the FAQ page to gain as much knowlegde as possible, but still have some questions.

My current set-up is iPod Classic, as stated previously, with either JDS Labs C5 or fiio E12 (been switching between the two) and I listen through Sennheiser Momentum and v-moda M-100.  Most of my musice is Apple Lossless (or ALAC) ripped using iTunes from CD collections and some music is MP3 (256 kbps or higher).

My main question is will the DX50 play my ALAC files (as I have read there are some problems with this file type).  If the DX50 will play my ALAC files will it be an improvement over the iPod?  Reason while am asking is, as I understand, iTunes only supports 16 bit/44 khz.

If my ALAC files are not supported what would be a good program to rip to FLAC?

I've been reading alot of people getting less than 10 hours of use on the DX50, and according to Ibasso website it states batter run-time of 14 hours.  Is anyone getting over 10 hours?

Lastly, would using an external amp (like C5 or E12) be benificial with the DX50?  I only use them with my set-up now because I do find they help the sound compared to iPod's internal amp by bypassing it with an LOD.

Thanks for any help that you can provide?

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #6,115 of 18,652
Hello all,

I was hoping all you wonderful DX50 owners can provided me some insight and advice as I am contemplating on purchasing the DX50 to replace my iPod Classic (7th Gen 160gb); as I am searching for better sound than the iPod (sounds a little congested and sometimes grainy).  I've been searching this thread and reading as many pages as I can, as well as read through the FAQ page to gain as much knowlegde as possible, but still have some questions.

My current set-up is iPod Classic, as stated previously, with either JDS Labs C5 or fiio E12 (been switching between the two) and I listen through Sennheiser Momentum and v-moda M-100.  Most of my musice is Apple Lossless (or ALAC) ripped using iTunes from CD collections and some music is MP3 (256 kbps or higher).

My main question is will the DX50 play my ALAC files (as I have read there are some problems with this file type).  If the DX50 will play my ALAC files will it be an improvement over the iPod?  Reason while am asking is, as I understand, iTunes only supports 16 bit/44 khz.

If my ALAC files are not supported what would be a good program to rip to FLAC?

I've been reading alot of people getting less than 10 hours of use on the DX50, and according to Ibasso website it states batter run-time of 14 hours.  Is anyone getting over 10 hours?

Lastly, would using an external amp (like C5 or E12) be benificial with the DX50?  I only use them with my set-up now because I do find they help the sound compared to iPod's internal amp by bypassing it with an LOD.

Thanks for any help that you can provide?

There is another thread started by Sorensiim about what's the best amp to use with the DX50, I would also check there as well.

Now I know for a fact the FLAC files work just fine, if you do have an issue with ALAC and you want to convert to another format, if you are on a PC I use a product called AVS4YOU, it's a set of conversion utilities for video and audio files. I used them extensively and it never failed me. I think it is shareware and there might be a minimal cost however the tools are well worth it.

I was an iPod Classic user before the DX50 and I can tell you, this guy is gone in someone else's hands, it just can't compete with the DX50. Last, it's hard to beat the price and quality ratio, it's dirt cheap for a dap of that caliber. Now as you saw on the thread pages it ain't perfect and the trip on firmware updates can be a bit bumpy but when it works, it's a marvel.

So like anything else, it's up to you to experiment, no one else but you can find out if this dap is for you or not. Just tabulate the deal killers and if you reach them, just call it quit else welcome aboard!

:beerchug:

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #6,116 of 18,652

Who measures measure crap. The impedance is a complex value, an AC impedance having a real (resistive) and imaginary (apparent) portion has.

The ohmmeter measures only the ohmic resistance and not the Z. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_impedance

Excuse my bad english.

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #6,117 of 18,652
I'll get my DX50 next week (hopefully). Will do some basic measurement if anyone is interested, but I have no reason to doubt the impedance number iBasso has given.

On side note, 100 ohm @ line-out is fine, actually a little higher is okay as well. But it is not meant to drive any load.

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #6,118 of 18,652
Thanks Soren for bailing me out, it isn't as simple as I initially thought but has to be done with the dap on with and without load to figure out the impedance. I was still hooked on the resistance which is totally different. I think I'll leave that to the expert to derive it but certainly like the 1/8th rule. :wink:

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #6,119 of 18,652
Nov 5, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #6,120 of 18,652
I'll get my DX50 next week (hopefully). Will do some basic measurement if anyone is interested, but I have no reason to doubt the impedance number iBasso has given.

On side note, 100 ohm @ line-out is fine, actually a little higher is okay as well. But it is not meant to drive any load.

Yep that's what one would conclude, either drive the load through the decent HO or use an amp.

Like I said earlier, I prefer using an amp, I don't really like the one from the DX50 besides it's also because I can easily adjust the volume with a knob instead of those tiny buttons. I reach my Pico Slim in my coat pocket and just with a little rub of the knob, I can increase or reduce the sound nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back