The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 17, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #1,801 of 18,652
I've updated the firmware to the most recent one but scanning the micro sd card is probably the most frustrating thing in a dap ever.

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #1,802 of 18,652

I dont agree. The DX50 adequately drives my HD600s without an amp. As I mentioned earlier, that does not mean an amp would not improve the sound of harder to drive HPs, but no benefit unless its a pretty high end amp IMHO. The internal amp in the DX50 is quite strong. Definitely better on par with devices like Fiio E17 etc. But that amp does not improve the SQ at all. To me it was worse.

The DX50 would easily drive HD25s as it does my DT250-80s.

Now, that said, as I wrote earlier, I see the DX50 as a purely portable DAP. For that, its slightly warm signature is ideal in overcoming intrusive outside noise. If I am going to listen to HD600s, it's at home in a quiet room coming straight from my home setup or at least my DX100 which is just that bit better than the DX50 (as it should be at 3 times the price).

I absolutely agree with Jpfe8851. The DX50 drives my HD650's just fine. I don't know what Bucket is talking about but there was no loss when using these cans at all.

Steve from NYC

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #1,803 of 18,652
I received my DX50 this afternoon. Out of the box I'm really digging the form factor of this little player. It's a nice size and it feels solid. I was worried the buttons would look and feel cheap but instead they look pretty good and feel solid. No clicks when I press on them and they don't feel loose.All the other switches, power button, volume buttons etc also feel solid and seem to be nicely placed ergonomically wise. Also, nothing overly pokes out or is to recessed making it a pain in the ass to click. The headphone out is a little tight but it's nothing that worries me to much. I'm sure after a few weeks of plugging and and unplugging the socket will loosen a wee bit.

The presentation box is a nice touch. Inside we have some cables ( USB for charging and a 1/4 to 1/4 mini for external amps) which seem to be of good quality. The supplied carry bag looks nice I guess but it's a little tight for fitting the player inside. I can see myself buying a DX50 case from iBasso once they release one. The screen protector is a nice touch and fits perfectly. Unfortunately I pulled a little to hard on the top white guide paper and left a mess of glue on the outside surface of the screen protector. I'll have to wipe the glue off with a damp cloth when I get a chance.

Lets get to the UI and OS now, I haven't updated the player and I'm running the original 1.0.0 FW. I've been playing music through my new DX50 for the last hour or so and have had no freezing whatsoever. Scrolling seems smooth and when I tap on a GUI the DX50 reacts quite quickly. With the exception of two or three wrinkles overall the user experience has been far better then I was expecting. Based on some of the posts on the DX50 I was expecting a lot more problems with this player. Lets talk about the wrinkles. First off for whatever strange reason there's two Armin Van Buuren albums in FLAC the DX50 refuses to play. I'll hit the file and the screen will quickly flash some sort of symbol and will go back to it's directory screen. No idea why, I'll try deleting the albums and loading them in their original ALAC form and see what happens. Since we're talking ALAC I'm happy to report album art seem to display with no issues when I use ALAC files from iTunes. The second wrinkle, it's only happened once thus far but I was navigating around and decided to choose another piece of music and tapped on it only to have the screen suddenly flash the iBasso logo and have all music suddenly stop. I navigated back to the same file and tapped on it again to see what would happen and the file played perfectly fine. When the file started to play I had to raise the volume though. Obviously the player suddenly decided to reset itself. Why? No idea, definitely a bug somewhere in the UI. It's only happened once over the last hour so hopefully it was just a one time glitch, we'll see. Third and last glitch, no matter what I do I can't seem to get gapless working. I have the gapless set at none but for whatever reason it won't work for me using either FLAC or ALAC files. For some strange reason I'm getting a 1 second break in the music which is quite annoying. Not sure if it's the OS or my files.

Alright, lets talk about the most important part, the sound. I'm currently listening to the DX50 with my UERM which is my best earphone. This player sounds freaking sweet and blows any mainstream player on the market. Nice sound stage and good instrument separation. Depth is pretty good also and I like how the player nicely extends on both ends. I remember some people were complaining that the treble sounded a little harsh on the DX50 thread. To my ears the DX50 IS NOT harsh. I have no idea why some people are saying it's harsh because it's far from it. If truth be known I'd say the DX50 with it's factory FW sounds quite neutral to my ears. Does it sound as good as my Studio V player? I'll have to do some A/Bing to be sure but thus far I think the Studio V might be just a small tad more detailed along with a more faster, leaner and aggressive presentation. That being said, the DX50 is no slouch and I'm quite happy with it sonically speaking. For the money spent it's a very nice sounding and sonically highly capable.

Overall. I'm really liking the DX50. The only bone I have to really pick with it thus far is I wish I could figure out how to get the gapless working properly because it's really quite annoying. Besides that, real nice player thus far. Here's hoping iBasso irons out the small wrinkles. I'm going to keep the original FW for now and I'll try updating it in a few days once I've had more time to play around inside the OS.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong as far as gapless is concerned? I have gapless set as close so what gives? Was there issues with the gapless feature with FW 1.0.0 ?

EDIT

I just set the gapless setting to 5 sec and for whatever reason gapless is working perfectly now. anyone know why that is and did everyone else have to set it to 5 sec to get gapless working?

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #1,804 of 18,652
  I just set the gapless setting to 5 sec and for whatever reason gapless is working perfectly now. anyone know why that is and did everyone else have to set it to 5 sec to get gapless working?

The 5 sec and 10 sec settings both switch gapless on.  They appear to be some kind of buffer.  No idea why it matters.  Frankly, I have idea why anyone would want to switch gapless off.  Why even make it an option? 

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #1,805 of 18,652

The 5 sec and 10 sec settings both switch gapless on.  They appear to be some kind of buffer.  No idea why it matters.  Frankly, I have idea why anyone would want to switch gapless off.  Why even make it an option? 

Yeah I agree, the function should just be built in. The gapless menu is rather silly in my opinion.

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #1,808 of 18,652
  i'm going to give these el cheapos (SHE3590) a try based on santhoshr's comments. $5 shipped on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-SHE3590BK-In-Ear-Headphones-Earphones-NEW-SEALED-/261282171145

I know this is OT, but I just wanted to report back on the Philips budget IEMs, mentioned on Page 69 of this thread.  I received mine from the above eBay listing.  Out of the box, paired with the DX50, they do sound pretty good for $5 IEMs.  Maybe they'll get better with some burn in, but for me, you can't beat Audio Technica ATH-CLR100's for the price. 

FYI, I noticed the SHE3590's are on sale this week at CVS stores for $6.99 if anyone's interested in picking them up locally. 

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #1,809 of 18,652

Didn't see any benefits with the iBasso D-Zero, just my 2 cents.

I know you definitely need one if I wanted to use say a pair of Sennheiser HD 600s but I was wondering whether I needed an amp at all to power my HD 25s. I personally don't think so but I need to confirm it haha

In my experience, HD25s work fine straight out of the DX50 (low or medium gain). This, in fact, is now my in-flight rig!

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #1,810 of 18,652
  Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong as far as gapless is concerned? I have gapless set as close so what gives? Was there issues with the gapless feature with FW 1.0.0 ?

EDIT

Look I appreciate that you've just added a lot of helpful info but it bugs me that you asked that last question... Clearly some people don't either browse these threads or better yet use the search tools. The gapless feature was posted several times in this thread. Like here: post #289 and in other posts only a few pages back.

Can people please use the search tools before asking questions like this? It's a safe bet someone has posted about these thing either here or over in the DX50 bugs/wishlist thread. 

Sorry if I have offended anyone but the thread is getting filled with repeat posts covered already or elsewhere.

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #1,811 of 18,652

Look I appreciate that you've just added a lot of helpful info but it bugs me that you asked that last question... Clearly some people don't either browse these threads or better yet use the search tools. The gapless feature was posted several times in this thread. Like here: post #289 and in other posts only a few pages back.

Can people please use the search tools before asking questions like this? It's a safe bet someone has posted about these thing either here or over in the DX50 bugs/wishlist thread. 

Sorry if I have offended anyone but the thread is getting filled with repeat posts covered already or elsewHow

Here's a suggestion for you.......
Look into the ignore option and use it to block my posts and you won't be bugged by any of my posts anymore. You only had to read the added edit entry at the end of my post to see I found the answer to my question myself using those exact search tools you're talking about. I suggest you please not be so rude in future because it can get you into a lot of trouble fast with the wrong people.
Have a nice life

(Gives you the talk to the hand motion as I walk away)

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #1,812 of 18,652
Anyways, it's been over an hour in a half an thus far that restart I had mentioned in my earlier post hasn't occurred again. The sound of this player is really starting to grow on me.

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #1,813 of 18,652
Does anyone have a link to the current firmware update that is different from iBasso? I am trying to download theirs but it is very, very, very slow. It has taken an hour to get not even half way through the download and I have limited time on the computer. The new firmware will be out shortly also. 

Is the DX50 supposed to show up on the desk top when plugged into the USB? 

Sep 18, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #1,815 of 18,652
I would of added IEM's in the picture, only they haven't left my ears since it arrived. 
gs1000.gif

Now I must rush to the post office as I have two units and one needs to go express to a friend so I will report in later. So far though I am very pleased with the sound, using T-Peos H-200. I had no UI problems, my album arts showing, all 16/44 FLACS playing I've tried. The only concern for me was my 32GB card took a fair while to scan on the initial boot, but all seems well.

Very pleased!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back