The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Feb 19, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #16,381 of 18,652
Here ya go, makes Your life easier :wink:

Sound Unlocked has "Hidden" bootup menu. To access it You must:

1) Turn OFF DX50 
2) Slide HOLD button to ON/LOCKED position
3) Turn ON DX50 while hold button is still ON/LOCKED position
4) You will launch into bootup menu where You can select different settings. Choose what You prefer.
    I recommend to start with FLAC/irr off/cpu default (for large airy soundstage) or FLAC/irr on/cpu 312 (for more intimate/foward soundstage)
5) Slide hold button to OFF position and player will return into UI using settings You selected. They will stay regardless restart/turn on-off until You change them.

1) FLAC-only + irr OFF + CPU performance default --- more depth towards front/middle and vocals for example more out of headstage.
    More airy soundstage/imaging and more dynamics.

2) FLAC-only + irr ON + CPU 312kHz --- closer, more intimate and clearer imaging with little more separation in width.

...or test Your own setting and find what fits best, these are just 2 main different sounding settings to start with.

And I recommend Your to try New DOCs Favourite Firmware Final too: http://player.ru/showthread.php?t=139417&page=103&p=1521785&viewfull=1#post1521785
 Very good sound but for my ears, highs got littlebit exhausting after longer listening.

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #16,384 of 18,652
  Every time I try to use it as usb dac I get blue screen of death

check your default sound on control panel dont let dx50 setup as default

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #16,385 of 18,652
  I assume I just copy the installation file to the internal memory and reboot?

No. From advanced option menu select system update.

Read this thread please for simple questions: http://www.head-fi.org/a/ibasso-dx50-faq

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #16,387 of 18,652
Hello everyone, i have a question: im going to buy a DAP but still hesitate between this DX50 and Hidizs AP100. 

I had one Sennheiser Momentum inear and I often listen Pop, US-UK and RnB. 

Should i choose either? Could anyone gives me some review because i see less comparison information about them.

I dont live in US, sorry for my English. Thanks so much :)

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #16,388 of 18,652
AP100 should be "darker" sounding. I would prefer DX50 for those music styles but this opinion comes only from reading user impressions.

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #16,389 of 18,652
  SU 1.4.0 is also very good but I personally prefer 1.3.3 due to its presentation/imaging. What version suits best for You is up to Your ears and gear. Try and find out :wink: 
And don`t forget that SU has hidden bootup menu with different sound options to choose from.

There are also newer Rockbox versions of Sound Unlocked. You should definitely try those too if You are more into rockbox. Personally, I prefer simplicity and functionality of Mango UI based Sound Unlocked. Again, try what suits for Your taste and needs best :wink:

Mango is the name of official software/UI, nothing more. 

I would use Mango if it weren't for the lack of replaygain. How do you deal with fluctuating volume? I really do miss 24bit support... :frowning2:

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #16,390 of 18,652
fluctuating volume? You mean one album is littlebit louder than other? I don`t have problems with that since most of my music is EAC rips with same settings from my own CD collection. Never cared about replaygain. And I do not use normalize.
About 24-bit ...I really don`t care about it. There is no profit of using 24-bit. For me 24-bit is "mass-hype" about nothing and You can read lot of topics about it where in music playback it makes absolutely no sense using 24-bit. It`s useful only in mixing/mastering in studios or in similar situations. But this is just my subjective opinion and this thread is not for discussing about it.

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #16,391 of 18,652
Only people who listen to music in shuffle mode need replaygain. (I need it). Album listeners can ignore it happily. What I like a lot about replaygain (besides having all songs the same volume when listening in shuffle mode) is the fact that it works against the "loudness war". If all software players would include replaygain, it would not make sense for music producers to put the volume on the CD (of modern pop/rock music) to such high level that it gets distorted.

Rips with EAC should not differ from other rips in volume unless you have "normalization" enabled, what I would not recommend.

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #16,392 of 18,652
  fluctuating volume? You mean one album is littlebit louder than other? I don`t have problems with that since most of my music is EAC rips with same settings from my own CD collection. Never cared about replaygain.
About 24-bit ...I really don`t care about it. There is no profit of using 24-bit. For me 24-bit is "mass-hype" about nothing and You can read lot of topics about it where in music playback it makes absolutely no sense using 24-bit. It`s useful only in mixing/mastering in studios or in similar situations. But this is just my subjective opinion and this thread is not for discussing about it.

Forgive this off-topic comment.

It was never suppose to be subjective to begin with. All the things we can hear are all covered in 16s bit with a room to spare. 24-bit or higher was just convenient for people who were doing the mastering/recording.

I can see why a lot of people associate more bits with better resolution in audio. It is true in digital pictures that the more bits you have the more vivid and detailed the picture is. But our ears work differently than our eyes. Our ears can only pickup analog signal and it's perfectly represented in 16-bits already.

In some ways digital picture/video plays trick on our eyes since the picture we see is represented my millions of individual dots (pixels) that forms different color to represent an image.

Remember the days of CRT monitors/TVs? They work on the same principle as digital audio now. Modern LCD TVs and monitor no longer converts digital picture data to an analog signal to be displayed to computer monitor.

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #16,393 of 18,652
I will not go into a deep offtopic discussing formats, but I can't resist to mention that all the articles about "16 bits are enough" are only good for those who don't understand the mathematics and technical details that lie behind. But the reason we have compressed records on CDs is exactly that 16 bits are not enough for good quality recordings, and many people would hear the difference, if it was demonstrated correctly.

Just another point of view :)

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #16,394 of 18,652
I was really hoping that there will be no answers regaring 16-bit vs. 24-bit but "there we go again"...
I really do not want to dive into this discussion and I won`t post in this thread about this subject anymore but just one 1st thread I found in head-fi: http://www.head-fi.org/t/415361/24bit-vs-16bit-the-myth-exploded ...there are many other great in-depth explanations and discussions out there on internet and everyone should decide by their own if 24-bit makes any SQ improvement or no. So far I have NOT been able to make difference between 16-bit vs. 24-bit and the room I spare also leans me to 16-bit side.

Please lets not discuss this in DX50 thread anymore. If anyone wants to "educate" me or some other ppl in this subject, please send PM or go to appropriate thread.

Have a nice day everyone! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back