The Fiio X5 Thread
Nov 13, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #13,546 of 19,652
shuffle is awful... not worth it by a LONG shot... this is something that will be repaired with x7 as it will be android, and most android players can do shuffle just great.

as for the buzzing, it is not normal, go get your unit repaired or changed... no buzzing, never...

what has happened to me was some lines appearing on the display, but it only happened with one song, two times, because i have 2 songs with the same name... the screen looks like a deinterlaced movie... and it satys that way until i restart it...

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #13,547 of 19,652
  I don't know how anyone else feels, but the shuffle on the X5 is horrible. Not only does it constantly pick the same artist.....It also picks the same song on the albums it selects. I've also noticed that if you start the shuffle with the same song it will play the songs in the exact same order every time. Has anyone else experienced this. It's very frustrating. FIIO please fix this.

Can someone else please confirm this? I am really considering the X5, but the player's ability to shuffle songs is a huge key factor for me. Does the X5 really shuffle songs randomly, or does it have a pattern in shuffling the songs?

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #13,548 of 19,652

Can someone else please confirm this? I am really considering the X5, but the player's ability to shuffle songs is a huge key factor for me. Does the X5 really shuffle songs randomly, or does it have a pattern in shuffling the songs?

the suffle works only if you have id3 tags set right... it makes a pre-order of shuffle... like a virtual playlist

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #13,549 of 19,652

the suffle works only if you have id3 tags set right... it makes a pre-order of shuffle... like a virtual playlist

But does it shuffle the songs without any sort of pattern?

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #13,550 of 19,652
I personally don't like the shuffle... well.. you have no pattern... this is what a shuffle is... Sometimes you can actually get the same song twice... What i was saying was that if you press backward, you can get to the last played, instead of shuffle to another..

EDIT::: whatever you can like, it is better to make a playlist in computer, shuffle it with a software, like foobar, and use the playlist instead of trying to shuffle with x5... You will get literally random songs from random folders all the time.. sometimes more than a song in a row from the same folder...

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #13,551 of 19,652
  I personally don't like the shuffle... well.. you have no pattern... this is what a shuffle is... Sometimes you can actually get the same song twice... What i was saying was that if you press backward, you can get to the last played, instead of shuffle to another..

Ah alright then, thanks mate that's good news.

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #13,552 of 19,652

EDIT::: whatever you can like, it is better to make a playlist in computer, shuffle it with a software, like foobar, and use the playlist instead of trying to shuffle with x5... You will get literally random songs from random folders all the time.. sometimes more than a song in a row from the same folder...

Not really sure what you mean by id3 tags being set right, but I do all my tagging (using mininal fields) with MP3tag so I'm assuming my tags are correct. Give it a try. Select a song and let it random play for lets say an hour or two. Restart the X5 and select the same song to start your random play that you initially selected and you'll notice that it will play the songs again in the same order. That's a pattern not random. Sure you can select back and play the last song played, but press forward and it won't select the song that would have played after the song you selected to replay...it will then select a different song and once that song completes it then goes back to it's pattern.

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #13,553 of 19,652

Not really sure what you mean by id3 tags being set right, but I do all my tagging (using mininal fields) with MP3tag so I'm assuming my tags are correct. Give it a try. Select a song and let it random play for lets say an hour or two. Restart the X5 and select the same song to start your random play that you initially selected and you'll notice that it will play the songs again in the same order. That's a pattern not random. Sure you can select back and play the last song played, but press forward and it won't select the song that would have played after the song you selected to replay...it will then select a different song and once that song completes it then goes back to it's pattern.

This is exactly what I'm worried about... Shuffle with a pattern is not shuffle at all.

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #13,554 of 19,652
Hi Rizki

Just checked with mine 2 minutes ago - latest FW.

Categories > All Songs.  Hit play.  Select shuffle.

Current track 1/5333, next = 124/5333, next = 4279/5333, then 2453/5333 ........

Go back - select Categories > All Songs.  Hit play on top track again.

Current track 1/5333, next = 4235/5333, next = 3097/5333, then 1059/5333 ........

Shuffle IS random.  @Styx2 above is using "resume", so the playlist he had loaded (all songs > shuffle) is still in play from last time.  This is a good thing - especially if you have heaps of tracks and want to play one playlist over an entire week without listening to same song twice.

If you want to randomise it gain - simply go back to track one and hit shuffle.

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #13,555 of 19,652
Yeah it definitely plays at random.

I remember when my 2nd gen ipod touch played in a pre set shuffle order. I can still remember the play order. After 5 years.

Also about the tagging, i use 6 tags:

Artist
Album
Tracknumber
Trackname
Discnumber
Year

I'm sure there's a reason for some people not to have everything tagged, but i wouldn't know it.

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #13,557 of 19,652

This is exactly what I'm worried about... Shuffle with a pattern is not shuffle at all.

It's really frustrating. I have over 5800 songs on my X5 and random play has only managed to select about 10 different artist out of about 50 artist I have on the SD cards....and of those artist it seems that it always picks the same song off an artists' album.

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #13,558 of 19,652
  Hi Rizki

Current track 1/5333, next = 124/5333, next = 4279/5333, then 2453/5333 ........

Current track 1/5333, next = 4235/5333, next = 3097/5333, then 1059/5333 ........

Shuffle IS random.  @Styx2 above is using "resume", so the playlist he had loaded (all songs > shuffle) is still in play from last time.  This is a good thing - especially if you have heaps of tracks and want to play one playlist over an entire week without listening to same song twice.

Sorry Brooko, but I'm doing exactly what you stated above and I 'm getting a pattern. My X5 is set to resume where I left off, but in that case that resume is just a continuation of the random play that was started before turning the X5 off.

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #13,559 of 19,652
Just been messing around with random play and, at first blush, it seems okay to me-- though it feels truly random with each track selection rather than a randomized playlist. Also, unless I'm using a different feature, I don't think it has to be all songs (unless you want it to).

From the Play Settings, I set the play mode to random (or what looks like random to me). I backed out and cycled to music by category and went to an album and played the first song. I forwarded and it went to the last song on the album, The back button took me to the fourth song. Forward next went to the second song... etc. I didn't see a pattern that jumped out at me and it felt like it was randomly choosing with each navigation. There might be some other quirks I haven't seen yet, I've just been playing with it for a few minutes but that's what I've seen so far.

Nov 13, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #13,560 of 19,652
  Hi Rizki

Thanks Paul, that is reassuring. I was ready to just go with an android compatible dac/amp combo, should the X5's shuffle have some sort of pattern.

Yeah it definitely plays at random.

I remember when my 2nd gen ipod touch played in a pre set shuffle order. I can still remember the play order. After 5 years.

Also about the tagging, i use 6 tags:

Artist
Album
Tracknumber
Trackname
Discnumber
Year

I'm sure there's a reason for some people not to have everything tagged, but i wouldn't know it.

I rip my CDs using Windows Media Player, and it only tags the artist & album. Would that be a problem for the shuffle mode?

Sorry Brooko, but I'm doing exactly what you stated above and I 'm getting a pattern. My X5 is set to resume where I left off, but in that case that resume is just a continuation of the random play that was started before turning the X5 off.

Could it be that you're not using the same (latest) firmware as he does? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back