The Fiio X5 Thread
Nov 11, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #13,516 of 19,652
Today i recieve my X5, wowwwwwwwwwwwwww, what vocals what instruments very very realllllllll

i;m listening for 3 hours now and i'm very happy till now but i have one question

One day i hear from a laptop and cambridge dacmagic xs the hotel california (unpluged edition) and as i can remember the sound was more open wider and maybe more clear and the instruments sound more realistic than fiio. could be something like that or i have to spend few hours for burnin and then judge again????

dac magic has the half price of fiio (of course it's only dac, but in that song i think it was more impressive)

Thanks a lot

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #13,517 of 19,652
  Which is all well and good, except that we have shorter life spans than righties.  And when the Church controlled the world, we were killed because we used our left hands (sinister).  Oh, and in countries where you eat with your hand, it is very rude indeed to reach in with your left hand.  

Of course, we are governed by our right brains, the "good"  (arty) side.  When I was in art school, I looked up one day in a class and noticed that 90% of us were using our left hands.  Ahhh, I thought, I'm home.
smile.gif

I've travelled around quit a bit and was explained by locals in Indonesia sometimes that this was because they used that hand for something else also (by lack of toilet paper they used a ''tjebok'' = bottle with water and their left hand)

Btw, thanks for explaining why I flunked in art school in my good old days. The first year I used the word abstract a lot to describe my drawings/paintings...but that wouldn't last :wink:

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #13,519 of 19,652
Which is all well and good, except that we have shorter life spans than righties.  And when the Church controlled the world, we were killed because we used our left hands (sinister).  Oh, and in countries where you eat with your hand, it is very rude indeed to reach in with your left hand.  

Of course, we are governed by our right brains, the "good"  (arty) side.  When I was in art school, I looked up one day in a class and noticed that 90% of us were using our left hands.  Ahhh, I thought, I'm home.:smile:

The Beatles:
A band with two left handed master musicians.

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #13,520 of 19,652
  Today i recieve my X5, wowwwwwwwwwwwwww, what vocals what instruments very very realllllllll

i;m listening for 3 hours now and i'm very happy till now but i have one question

One day i hear from a laptop and cambridge dacmagic xs the hotel california (unpluged edition) and as i can remember the sound was more open wider and maybe more clear and the instruments sound more realistic than fiio. could be something like that or i have to spend few hours for burnin and then judge again????

dac magic has the half price of fiio (of course it's only dac, but in that song i think it was more impressive)

Thanks a lot

If you were using the Dacmagic with an external amp then it might be the qualities of the amp that you're noticing. The X5's DAC stage is excellent and the amp is very good, but the sound can be further improved using the line out to an external amp. Perhaps try that if you can and see if it raises the SQ of the X5 to that of the Dacmagic (or beyond)

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #13,522 of 19,652
Jimi Hendrix playing his right-handed guitar upside down.

I always wondered why he just didn't buy left handed Strats!

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #13,523 of 19,652

Sorry but I cannot disagree more strongly about this-- as someone who deals with UI (albeit on the web), there is definitely a RIGHT placement for things unless and until someone comes up with a better or more RIGHT placement. It's about conventions and a user's expectation that the device will follow the established conventions. The onus is on the designer if they wish to break convention to do so to (at least arguably) better the experience. If the change doesn't better the experience, there's no reason to break the convention and it would be a poor decision to break the convention.

I deal with UI in software, and having used a LOT of South Korean devices over the years, this navigation didn't surprise me at all.  Hell, certain languages are read "backwards" from conventional English, and a great many things are changed in an effort to see what might work better.  These devices wouldn't even exist if that wasn't the case, especially dual-mono hybrid setups.  And streaming or buying crappy, compressed files is also standard convention right now.  So basically, there's no reason to be on this forum without an acceptance that the "norm" isn't really good enough.

Nov 11, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #13,526 of 19,652
I'm a little surprised nobody has argued the headphone convention currently trends towards Beats. Either that or I missed it.

I got an email awhile back about that but I thought it was spam so I deleted it.

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #13,528 of 19,652

If you were using the Dacmagic with an external amp then it might be the qualities of the amp that you're noticing. The X5's DAC stage is excellent and the amp is very good, but the sound can be further improved using the line out to an external amp. Perhaps try that if you can and see if it raises the SQ of the X5 to that of the Dacmagic (or beyond)

No i use it in a aExhibition while it was connected in a mac (there was no amp)  and then i connect my focal and with the first note i think it was better the sound, can it be???

And one general question, i read that it's better no to charge the x5 from the usb, but i'm connect as dac the fiio is charging. can we avoid this is it a problem???

Thanks again

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #13,529 of 19,652
I often charge mine with a macbookpro but when I'm in a hurry I use the plug in charger. I'm of the impression it's mostly a question of the usb being slower but I've checked and it gets to 100% when I let it charge overnight.

I'd be interested to hear if there's a real reason not to use the usb charger.

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #13,530 of 19,652
No i use it in a aExhibition while it was connected in a mac (there was no amp)  and then i connect my focal and with the first note i think it was better the sound, can it be???

And one general question, i read that it's better no to charge the x5 from the usb, but i'm connect as dac the fiio is charging. can we avoid this is it a problem???

Thanks again

There's nothing wrong with charging from USB it's just much slower than a wall charger. As a matter of fact it's typically safer to charge slower no matter what the battery chemistry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back