The Fiio X5 Thread
Nov 12, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #13,531 of 19,652
There's nothing wrong with charging from USB it's just much slower than a wall charger. As a matter of fact it's typically safer to charge slower no matter what the battery chemistry.

thanks Relic, do you have an idea about the SQ of one song that i hear it better in the dac magic xs which is half the price of fiio??

unfortunately i didn't have one of this  to make a comparison,

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #13,532 of 19,652
thanks Relic, do you have an idea about the SQ of one song that i hear it better in the dac magic xs which is half the price of fiio??

unfortunately i didn't have one of this  to make a comparison,

Well that's a loaded question isn't it? The track in question is 'Hotel California - Unplugged' right?

Four things stand out to me as being possible in this comparison, which isn't really a comparison given that it looks like there has been some time between listening sessions. Our audio memories aren't very accurate for using in audio comparisons.

- First of all, the track was played from a laptop to the DacMagic so there may have been some DSP going on with the laptop software that was playing the track. This is quite common and could vastly affect the sound of the track being played. What you described seems to me like there could have been a 'wide' or 'surround' processing field applied to the music from the laptop.

- Secondly, the track itself may be mastered poorly and the X5 is simply revealing the flaws in the recording leading you to believe the player is at fault when in fact it imay be the music file, but I doubt this is the case here.

- Third, you may simply like the ESS9023 Sabre DAC in the DacMagic more than the PCM1792 DAC in the X5 and prefer it's audio decoding for acoustical music. You need to keep in mind that the DacMagic can't play files directly (requires a laptop) and has no interface or storage capabilities so the cost is not out of line when it comes to competing sound quality with the X5. The amp in the DacMagic is also weaker and there is no battery to increase costs.

- Fourth, when you first heard the track with the DacMagic did you hear any other qualiy audio gear previously? I'm talking about dedicated gear, not mainstream Apple, Sansa or Sony stuff (nothing wrong with Apple, Sansa or Sony gear if someone is happy with it). Your perspective changes the more you listen to dedicated quality music reproduction so what was a huge leap in quality to you before is now a minor difference and the "vast improvement" isn't as vast anymore. My advice would be to listen to the X5 for a week exclusively and then go back to the gear you felt was better. Then you'll likely have a different perspective on what you feel is better. It's all about perspective.

Any or all of these points may be true or false. I'm just taking shots in the dark given the information you've provided.

I'm not including the amp section in this comparison given that the more powerful amp in the X5 should provide more dynamic range headroom which doesn't match with what you've reported in your post. Also, another way to improve/personalize the sound from the X5 is to use a portable amp. There are a variety of options and the line out from the X5 is very good. :wink:

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #13,533 of 19,652
Well that's a loaded question isn't it? The track in question is 'Hotel California - Unplugged' right?

- Secondly, the track itself may be mastered poorly and the X5 is simply revealing the flaws in the recording leading you to believe the player is at fault when in fact it imay be the music file, but I doubt this is the case here.

Mastering and recording are two different processes.
The sequence is actually:
Record
Mix
Master
Anyway........
An exceptional mastering job cannot fix a poor recording and/or a poor mix.
But a poor mastering job can ruin a good recording and mix.

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #13,534 of 19,652
  If you can, please tell us how it compares to iDSD..

Just a few notes from some initial playing with both devices (I didn't do a direct A/B yet so keep that in mind), I think the iDSD comes out ahead as a pure amp/DAC: the soundstage sounds fuller-- wider, deeper-- and it's more detailed. My observations come from, so far, listening to an assortment of ALAC files on my Mac, 320kbs streams on Rdio, and FLAC files from the X5. Both devices had no trouble driving my NAD VISO HP50s.

Usability-wise, the iDSD isn't nearly as portable as the X5-- brought it with me this morning (X5 -> iDSD -> NAD VISO HP50, the X5 and iDSD inside my messenger bag) but it's clunky-- and it has no DAP ability.

I think the improvements (subject to more listens) are audible to me and I don't consider myself as having a great ear as yet so I would say that it's fairly obvious. However, I don't want to diminish how well the X5 performs because I think it sounds great. I really like these as a combo, which was my plan, with the X5 as storage for the iDSD and as a DAP when lugging around the iDSD (not that it's actually that big but the size, shape, and weight make it an awkward carry) isn't an option.

As a side-note, commuting with both the X5 and the iDSD was surprisingly easy once I got everything settled into my bag. They really don't add to much extra weight, all things considered, and as long as I wasn't constantly digging in to switch tracks, it was very unobtrusive. The nice thing about running through the X5 instead of my iPhone is that I could use and access my phone without having to disturb the setup and preserve the battery. For my everyday travel (45 minutes on a single subway, carrying my messenger), it's definitely doable.

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #13,535 of 19,652
Mastering and recording are two different processes.
The sequence is actually:
Record
Mix
Master
Anyway........
An exceptional mastering job cannot fix a poor recording and/or a poor mix.
But a poor mastering job can ruin a good recording and mix.

Of course, exactly. That's what I get for being too general at 4:00 in the a.m..

Glad you're on the job. :D

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #13,536 of 19,652

Four things stand out to me as being possible in this comparison, which isn't really a comparison given that it looks like there has been some time between listening sessions. Our audio memories aren't very accurate for using in audio comparisons.

- First of all, the track was played from a laptop to the DacMagic so there may have been some DSP going on with the laptop software that was playing the track. This is quite common and could vastly affect the sound of the track being played. What you described seems to me like there could have been a 'wide' or 'surround' processing field applied to the music from the laptop.

- Third, you may simply like the ESS9023 Sabre DAC in the DacMagic more than the PCM1792 DAC in the X5 and prefer it's audio decoding for acoustical music. You need to keep in mind that the DacMagic can't play files directly (requires a laptop) and has no interface or storage capabilities so the cost is not out of line when it comes to competing sound quality with the X5. The amp in the DacMagic is also weaker and there is no battery to increase costs.

- Fourth, when you first heard the track with the DacMagic did you hear any other qualiy audio gear previously? I'm talking about dedicated gear, not mainstream Apple, Sansa or Sony stuff (nothing wrong with Apple, Sansa or Sony gear if someone is happy with it). Your perspective changes the more you listen to dedicated quality music reproduction so what was a huge leap in quality to you before is now a minor difference and the "vast improvement" isn't as vast anymore. My advice would be to listen to the X5 for a week exclusively and then go back to the gear you felt was better. Then you'll likely have a different perspective on what you feel is better. It's all about perspective.

Any or all of these points may be true or false. I'm just taking shots in the dark given the information you've provided.

I'm not including the amp section in this comparison given that the more powerful amp in the X5 should provide more dynamic range headroom which doesn't match with what you've reported in your post. Also, another way to improve/personalize the sound from the X5 is to use a portable amp. There are a variety of options and the line out from the X5 is very good.
wink.gif

Thanks a lot for your deep analysis, i'll check it what is "fault"
thanks again

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #13,537 of 19,652
  I really like the sound, look and feel of the X5.  It's solidly built.  At the price it's an unbelievably good player but the UI has problems.  It works but the letters are too small for us old guys, the wheel is greased lightning and is hard to use, and it has some other shortcomings.  That said if you're all about sound you can live with the UI, at least I can.  I have grown quite fond of my X5.  I agree with Gnawbert although "shockingly" might be a little too strong, in fact I was not surprised much at all by how clunky the UI is because I read that on Head-Fi before I bought it.  At the end of the day  I'm keeping my X5 until there is a strong consensus here that something at the same price can beat it cleanly.

Now if I stumble onto $2500 I just might spring for a AK240 or a AK120II.  In the meanwhile I'll just be happy to have a player that is probably not that far removed from the AK sound.  Actually, why I want the AK is the big touchscreen and the UI.  That's a lot to pay for a UI when the player you have works (sort of). 

Santa:  I have been a good boy this year and would like an AK240 in my stocking.

If you think the Fiio UI and support is lacking, I'd steer clear of iriver. They've had pretty lacking software since 2004. 

Customer support is .... Well, infuriating. At one point I owned about 8 iRiver players. I had such an incredibly dumbfounding experience with their customer support I sold all of them and swore I'd never give them my money. Up until last year, I was sure they would go out of business at any moment. 

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #13,538 of 19,652
Of course, exactly. That's what I get for being too general at 4:00 in the a.m..

Glad you're on the job. :D

You seem to know the difference, but I often get the impression that the average Head Fi-er does not know the difference between recording, mixing and mastering........wadya think?:xf_eek:

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #13,539 of 19,652
Elwappo99

Thanks for the advice.  I keep seeing mixed reviews on the AKs.  I have read some that praised the interface and others who like you, say it's just plain awful.  That's a red flag.

I'm not getting one anyway unless Santa is very good to me.

All of the DAPs seem to gather their share of complaints about the UI.  The X5 is at least very usable and takes about 10 min to learn.  Shows how good Apple iOS and some of the Android players really are at handling a user interface.

Nov 12, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #13,540 of 19,652
You seem to know the difference, but I often get the impression that the average Head Fi-er does not know the difference between recording, mixing and mastering........wadya think?:xf_eek:

Yes, the process is very involved in creating audio for the masses and any misstep along the way could pollute the end product. It's the same in my field of Visual Effects and TV/Film production. One misfire and there are a host of people in their niche roles required to try and 'fix' it. It's all about the chain of production.

I'm not sure it's the average or just the ones who ask the very basic questions who don't understand. I would agree the average Head Fi-er may not fully understand the complexities. Personally, I sometimes generalize too quickly to get the point across and it's good that peeps correct each other or chime in when any specifics are missed or misrepresented. That's why Head Fi is a great community! Lots to learn from! :cool:

At the end of the day it's hard to just say the file might be borked, and that doesn't help them understand why in the long run. Ergo, I thanked you for being on the ball. :D

Cheers!

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #13,541 of 19,652
Just wanted to ask if anyone here had an issue with their Fiio X5 in which I occasionally hear some sort of buzzing/static noise when I'm listening to music.  This sound persists even when I pause the song and I can clearly hear the noise without anything playing.

I did a quick search on this thread but I don't think the sounds that other people have been hearing are what I'm experiencing.  I am fairly certain it is not a hissing noise since when I have the player paused I hear absolutely nothing (besides the occasional buzz mentioned above) and I'm wondering if this is something wrong with my unit or if others have experienced this problem.

I am currently using a pair of Noble 4 Universal earphones but this has also been noticeable on all my other IEM's such as the GR07 and DN2000.

Nov 13, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #13,542 of 19,652
I don't know how anyone else feels, but the shuffle on the X5 is horrible. Not only does it constantly pick the same artist.....It also picks the same song on the albums it selects. I've also noticed that if you start the shuffle with the same song it will play the songs in the exact same order every time. Has anyone else experienced this. It's very frustrating. FIIO please fix this.

Nov 13, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #13,543 of 19,652
  I don't know how anyone else feels, but the shuffle on the X5 is horrible. Not only does it constantly pick the same artist.....It also picks the same song on the albums it selects. I've also noticed that if you start the shuffle with the same song it will play the songs in the exact same order every time. Has anyone else experienced this. It's very frustrating. FIIO please fix this.

How do you access shuffle? I spent a couple of minutes looking yesterday while I was commuting but couldn't find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back