The Fiio X5 Thread
Nov 14, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #13,576 of 19,652
Thanks for the reply!
biggrin.gif

I must admit to knowing almost nothing about TV/Film and Visual Effects production!
BTW, The best visual effect that I have seen on Canadian TV is Erica Durance.
tongue_smile.gif

She's no visual effect!! That's all in camera!! 
eek.gif

I've worked mostly on American TV shows and many big budget American vfx films over the last 20 years. Canada just doesn't have enough funding for vfx heavy work,  yet definitely has the talent.

Back to the X5, I'd say it's a double edged sword when it comes to a revealing DAP. The good sounds amazing and the bad is surprisingly terrible (like looking at your date after taking off the beer goggles). That's why I'm always on the lookout for the best produced music I can find. It makes a world of difference when the gear can help to make quality music shine. Similar to how HD helps make well produced video/film shine and yet SD looks terrible when scaled on an HD display.

Nov 14, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #13,577 of 19,652

I'll try to run some more tests and see if I get the same type of results. Just for reference, you're on the latest firmware?

We should be referring to actual firmware numbers here and not something as nebulous as 'the latest firmware', (which could be either 3.20 or 3,21 beta, depending on how you reckon these things.)

For the record, you can re-randomize 3.20 with the nest button but they broke that in the beta, along with the ability to read non-embedded cover files). I have 20,640 tracks so 3.20 is of very limited use to me.

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #13,579 of 19,652
My default method of listening to both my X3 and my X5 is to listen to all tracks shuffled. There is some truth to The comment that if you start at the same point it will replay the same songs in the same order. But why would you choose to do this? I have the players set to start at the last song they were playing and they reliably do this. So I don't get all the angst about this. It works swell for me.

For what it's worth, my X3 has a 128 GB card that is full of correctly tagged 16/24 FLAC files.
My X5 has a full 128 GB and a half full 128 GB card full of the same.

All I ask is they push that 5800 file limit to at least twice that as it affects my shuffle play.
(Yes I know browser mode works)

Just to clarify..... this random play issue is by no means a deal breaker. Its all about the sound with the X5 for me. I brought this issue up because @62ohm asked about the random play feature of the X5 which IMHO is not random. Random playlist are being created in the X5 internally. My X5 listening is 95% in the shuffle mode. I only listen to complete albums when I first purchase them.  I was able to discover this issue because every day when I get to work I turn on my X5 in random mode and it plays that way all day (so it's creating a pretty lengthy playlist) This is why pressing next doesn't work for me because when you hit next it doesn't re-randomize the songs...it only plays a different song immediately after pressing next and then it will go right back to its pattern. This  btw IMO would be assisted random play. I have managed to deal this issue by starting from a different song everyday (and a new playlist is created from that song) which brings up my main frustration with the X5's random play.  It doesn't do a good job of randomizing all 5800 songs I have on my X5. Throughout my 3 week testing, I've also noticed that it tends to pick the same artist as well as the same song and album of a particular artists. To answer your question @aangen when I start the X5 after it has been charging it doesn't resume to the last song played. You have to start the random play all over. Being that Adel is the 1st album on my X5,  I would just always start it from that 1st Adel song. If it were truly random it wouldn't matter that you start it from the same song because the player should re-randomize the songs on a restart of shuffle play. 

Nov 14, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #13,580 of 19,652
Just for reference, mu iPhone tended to play shuffle in a seemingly non-random way as well.  I'd hear the same songs pretty much every day, just in a different order.  

Nov 14, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #13,581 of 19,652

Hey Styx2 - I did same as you did this time, and got same order as you did - which is strange.

But - the X5 does completely randomize just by pushing "next" once - so while I can see your point (thanks for elaborating BTW), it's a pretty simple exercise to simply resume from where you were originally, OR push "next" once to generate a new random order.

Personally - it still functions the way I want it to - so I'm really not worried.  Guess YMMV. 

Hey thanks for verifying my findings, however pressing next doesn't solve the pattern issue because it will return to its pattern immediately after it plays the selected song chosen after you pressed the next button. I'd have to press next constantly just to hear one different song per next button press. 

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #13,582 of 19,652
Anyone think the x5 sounds cleaner alone? I have been using it with the e12 diy amp and was starting to notice a little less clarity than id like. So i removed the e12 and its more clear by itself. . I even have the big dollar muse 1 in the e12 diy.

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #13,584 of 19,652
We should be referring to actual firmware numbers here and not something as nebulous as 'the latest firmware', (which could be either 3.20 or 3,21 beta, depending on how you reckon these things.)

For the record, you can re-randomize 3.20 with the nest button but they broke that in the beta, along with the ability to read non-embedded cover files). I have 20,640 tracks so 3.20 is of very limited use to me.

Say what?
The X5 firmware is now at version 3.20?
Or are you thinking of the X3?

Signed,
Confused

Nov 14, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #13,586 of 19,652
im even using thw 5002 soldered to the adapter . Any ideas

MUSES01 is supposed to be warm and musical, so of course the X5 is going to be cleaner in comparison. You are just not using the right opamp in the E12DIY for the type of sound you are looking for. Get NJM5532 instead.

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #13,589 of 19,652
Out of curiosity, have those who've been affected been using shuffle/random AND repeat at the same time?  Android had about as close to a "pure" random function when repeat was enabled.  It would actually do amazingly stupid things like play the same track two or three times in a row.  I believe Apple used the method that was mentioned earlier where a "virtual" version of the playlist is created on the device and it used "random remain" instead.  So, this will let it play out all the tracks before it repeats, and using a virtual playlist was the cleanest and most consistent way to deal with this.  So try disabling the repeat function for the playlist or whatever, and see if that helps. 

Nov 14, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #13,590 of 19,652

Users who are viewing this thread

Back