The Fiio X5 Thread
Nov 16, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #13,606 of 19,652
I think that is entirely possible.  Though I didn't change any files when I changed cards.  I just put the whole shebang in a folder on the SanDisk,  dragged it to my (Mac) desktop to save, then dragged it onto the new Adata card.  Unpacked the folder once it was finished and everything worked.  Could have been the card or something else.  But I know big files don't cause issues on the X5 because I have some ridiculously large files.  

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #13,607 of 19,652
Could the brands be coincidence and the files on the cards be slightly different?

For example, I modified some tags in MediaMonkey and expected it to update those files during syncing, but it didn't (due to certain settings). Loading a fresh card from MediaMonkey got the fixed file tags though and therefore solved the issue. Hope that makes sense - not sure if it's relevant here ir not

I reloaded the files on different AData cards with the same result.  I believe that I eliminated all variables save for the brand of card, but based on olddude's experience, I guess my theory may be incorrect. I would, however,  like to hear from Fiio about this issue .

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #13,609 of 19,652
Can x5 be used as a dac with iPad Air? I was going to buy a lighting to usb connector but wanted to confirm if this actually works. I know it works on my pc but that required installing fiio drivers to the pc.

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #13,610 of 19,652
Nope - can't be used as a DAC for an iDevice.

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #13,611 of 19,652
Has anyone had problems with the X5 when using a Mac to upload music?

I'm having a hell of a time with my Mac Pro (OS 10.7.5) and the X5.  It seems that something is corrupting the memory cards so that they can't be written or reformatted, etc.

It has happened twice to two different cards (both Sandisk 128GB cards), and it literally happened the first time I plugged them into the X5 to format and get files uploaded to it.

I tried a Windows machine, and a recent MBP as well, but it appears once the card was corrupted, there is nothing I can do to repair it or recover.  Dead, unwriteable card is the result.  The vendor replaced it the first time, as I was thinking it was a bad card, but this happened with the replacement as well.

Here's a link to the original post I mad about this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/737151/has-anyone-had-difficulty-with-corrupted-memory-cards-in-the-x5-when-using-a-mac

Nov 17, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #13,612 of 19,652
X5 Stuttering issue:

I have posted on this thread about problems with the X5 "stuttering" or skipping when playing 24 bit high resolution Flac files.  I can now report that the issue of the stuttering has been solved, although I'm not sure I would say the problem is fully resolved.

I have all my music in two 64 GB ADATA micro sd cards in my X5. There are about 3,500 individual tracks, all in artist/album folders.  Most of my music is from CDs ripped directly to Flac on my Linux machine.  Some of my music is 24 bit 96 khz and 192 Khz albums from HD Tracks, along with some DVD audio discs ripped to 24 bit Flac.

All of the ripped 16 bit 44.1 khz flac from CDs play perfectly on the X5.  The sound quality from some of the well mastered CDs is quite stunning.  But many of my favourite 24 bit High res files will skip or stutter randomly on payback.  No amount of formatting or re-copying fixed the problem. The unpredictability of the stuttering was itself part of the problem - it became impossible to listen to some albums without holding my breath, waiting for the next glitch.

Finally, out of desperation I bought another micro sd card, this time a SanDisk Ultra 64 Gb.  Both the old ADATA and the new SanDisk are class 10, but the SanDisk claims to have faster read and write speeds (at twice the price of the ADATA).  I transferred all of the offending 24 bit High res files (and regular stuff) onto the SanDisk.  I can now report that the stuttering no longer occurs with the same material on the SanDisk micro SD card.

Now this is the part I find interesting; I put the ADATA SD Card into my Blackberry Z10 phone and loaded the Neutron Music Player app (great program btw).  All the high res files that were problematic on the Fiio play perfectly on the Neutron player using the old ADATA card.  My tentative conclusion is that the Fiio has a limited amount of buffer memory and SD card read speeds can become critical when playing higher bit-rate recordings, my assumption is that the Blackberry/Neutron combo allocates more buffer memory and is not affected by the lower SD card read speed.  The Neitron player reports the playback rate for recordings in Mbs (Megabits per second) A 16 bit CD quality Flac runs at 1.4 Mbs, whereas a 24 bit 96khz file plays at 4.6 Mbs, while a 192 Khz file is 9.2 Mbs.  I would consider this to be a design flaw in the Fiio - for an otherwise great package intended to play high resolution source material, I would have built in more system resources, especially system memory. 

My final observation - the Neutron music player sounds great!.  It gives up very little to the Fiio; perhaps a little bit of clarity and definition and a line out, but it has a host of other features that are absent from the Fiio. One of those features that I have come to appreciate is the ability to choose and adjust crossfeed - this has a big impact when listening with headphones and it is a feature that should be added to the X5 firmware; unless somebody can figure out how to port Neutron to the Fiio.

I would guess you are correct in the low buffer of the X5 being a contributor to you stuttering issue. It seems that FiiO DAPs in general are a little low on the RAM side, but it looks like they are learning. :wink:

Nov 17, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #13,613 of 19,652
I would guess you are correct in the low buffer of the X5 being a contributor to you stuttering issue. It seems that FiiO DAPs in general are a little low on the RAM side, but it looks like they are learning.
wink.gif

I don't see how my X5 can play hi-res files and not stutter and his does.  That's not global behavior.  And my SanDisk card stuttered on my DX50 and my Adata didn't.  So card doesn't seem likely.  My hi-res stuff goes from 60 mb to 296 mb for 24bit and DSD.  Yesterday I was playing an official release live Neil Young file and the 24/192 files are about 289 mb each.  Never had a single stutter.  I'd be looking elsewhere for an answer, either tags or, perhaps, a firmware reinstall/factory reset.  I'm on 2.2.  

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #13,614 of 19,652

I don't see how my X5 can play hi-res files and not stutter and his does.  That's not global behavior.  And my SanDisk card stuttered on my DX50 and my Adata didn't.  So card doesn't seem likely.  My hi-res stuff goes from 60 mb to 296 mb for 24bit and DSD.  Yesterday I was playing an official release live Neil Young file and the 24/192 files are about 289 mb each.  Never had a single stutter.  I'd be looking elsewhere for an answer, either tags or, perhaps, a firmware reinstall/factory reset.  I'm on 2.2.  

The stuttering problem is firmware version independent, also unrelated to format method, also not related to tags; these are some the factors I excluded before arriving at a tentative conclusion.

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #13,615 of 19,652
And I excluded the issue of high-res files of inordinate size.  So where does that leave us/you?  Your tentative conclusion rests on something that my experience (in the real world) does not support.  As any good scientist can tell you, a theory, to be proven, must be tested by more than one person...and have the same result.  Since no one else is jumping in here with sordid stories of stuttering, and since my testing with large files leads to me conclude that your theory is in fact not proven, can we assume that there needs to be a new hypothesis?  

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #13,617 of 19,652
Sadly, yes. 

1. The scientific method is a way to ask and answer scientific questions by making observations and doing experiments.
  2. The steps of the scientific method are to:
    1. Ask a Question
    2. Do Background Research
    3. Construct a Hypothesis
    4. Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment
    5. Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion
    6. Communicate Your Results
  3. It is important for your experiment to be a fair test. A "fair test" occurs when you change only one factor (variable) and keep all other conditions the same.

Communicate your results so others can test your hypothesis is where we are now.  And, sadly, I can't prove the hypothesis.  No matter how large my files, and I think nearly 300 mb is as large as you get for one song, I can't get my X5 to stutter.  If the hypothesis is that the X5 cannot buffer large hi-res files (it stutters), then it is... busted.  

Nov 17, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #13,618 of 19,652
Hello all,

I saw somewhere in this thread people complaining about a slight crackling sound from heir X5. I too can hear a slight crackling sound on my X5. Doesn't happen all the time, just randomly. more on the left channel.  I can hear it when using my Beyer T51p's since they are pretty sensitive and revealing.  Could really replicate it on my cheap IEM's (apple, samsung, HTC and Xiaomi piston 2.1), maybe because they cant resolve the sound in the first place. My music is mainly FLAC and WAV. Max 44.1/16 direct CD rips.  I tested the beyers on a different rig and couldn't replicate it - so looks like its not the headphones. [size=13.3333339691162px]Did anyone who suffered from the same issue find a resolution to it? [/size]

Nov 17, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #13,619 of 19,652
If you mean you hear it WHILE a song is playing, there have been maybe two posts that I can recall mentioning that.  If it happens when songs are changing, one to the next, and you have mixed bitrates, you will hear a slight clicking as the device shifts to accommodate the new bitrate.  

I would try rebooting the device, and if it persists try reinstalling the firmware and run a factory reset.  

I can't hear any random crackling sounds using either my Altones or my Fidues, both of which have very good detail in the upper mids.

Nov 17, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #13,620 of 19,652
  Has anyone had problems with the X5 when using a Mac to upload music?

I'm having a hell of a time with my Mac Pro (OS 10.7.5) and the X5.  It seems that something is corrupting the memory cards so that they can't be written or reformatted, etc.

It has happened twice to two different cards (both Sandisk 128GB cards), and it literally happened the first time I plugged them into the X5 to format and get files uploaded to it.

I tried a Windows machine, and a recent MBP as well, but it appears once the card was corrupted, there is nothing I can do to repair it or recover.  Dead, unwriteable card is the result.  The vendor replaced it the first time, as I was thinking it was a bad card, but this happened with the replacement as well.

Here's a link to the original post I mad about this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/737151/has-anyone-had-difficulty-with-corrupted-memory-cards-in-the-x5-when-using-a-mac

I don't have any Mac experience so I can't help on that front, but have you tried resurrecting your defunct sd cards with partitioning/formatting software like GParted? Using this to remove the existing partition, then creating a new partition and formatting it may fix your sd card problem.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back